Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/16/2018, 09:43 AM   #2926
vitodog
Registered Member

Thanks alemone, any suggestions for a brand name for the solution?

Unread 05/16/2018, 02:18 PM   #2927
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitodog View Post
You could try searching Amazon. I came up with this. Oh, now you don't have to, I did it for you.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2018, 02:23 PM   #2928
alemone
Registered Member

Quote:
This is what I used. It seems to be available from third-party sellers currently. Good luck!

Link Amazon

alemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2018, 03:18 PM   #2929
vitodog
Registered Member

Thanks again alemone. I did another leak test, but could not find any. I also checked all the tube connections. Maybe I just did not tighten the nut enough when connecting the regulator to the Co2 after the first leak. Meanwhile I'll see if I can find the Mega Bubble locally. If not I'll just order it from Amazon. Thanks again for your help alemone.

Unread 05/16/2018, 03:21 PM   #2930
vitodog
Registered Member

Thanks hkgar, I'll look for that one too.

Unread 05/16/2018, 05:41 PM   #2931
alemone
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks again alemone. I did another leak test, but could not find any. I also checked all the tube connections. Maybe I just did not tighten the nut enough when connecting the regulator to the Co2 after the first leak. Meanwhile I'll see if I can find the Mega Bubble locally. If not I'll just order it from Amazon. Thanks again for your help alemone.
Yeah, see what happens with the next tank.

alemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2018, 07:47 AM   #2932
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

OK-- so I have a question -- kind of one you feel you should know the answer to--
When using a peristaltic pump do you still use the pump on the reactor?

Unread 05/17/2018, 07:49 AM   #2933
networkcrasher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
OK-- so I have a question -- kind of one you feel you should know the answer to--
When using a peristaltic pump do you still use the pump on the reactor?
Absolutely. The pump on the reactor recirculates the water inside the reactor, promoting the breakdown of the media, whereas the peri pump moves water from the sump, through the reactor and back to the sump.

networkcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2018, 07:52 AM   #2934
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Thanks--

Unread 05/17/2018, 03:05 PM   #2935
yellojello
Registered Member

Official: Masterflex Calcium Reactor Setup Thread

@vitodog how big is your co2 tank? It has to be leaking either at tank to carbon doser or inside the carbon doser, or the carbon doser gauges fittings. If the carbon doser regulates properly, then it doesn’t matter if there is a leak after it on in the reactor cause it’s only letting out so little air that it shouldn’t deplete in a month, unless you are running at a really high bubble count which I doubt.

yellojello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2018, 04:09 PM   #2936
vitodog
Registered Member

Thanks yellowjello, my cylinder is 5 lbs. At the time I noticed my Co2 was empty, my BPM was at 29. I did do A leak test at the junction where the carbon doser is connected to the cylinder, where the gauges are connected and where the Co2 tube is connected. I did not detect any leaks at these points. I connected a refilled cylinder on Tuesday which is when I conducted the tests. I also have been trying to contact Aquarium Plants (Carbon Doser) to see if they could offer some advise but no one picks up the phone or responds to my e-mails. Right now, everything seems ok. Also, I can't rule out that maybe I did not tighten the nut that connects the carbon doser to the cylinder enough the last time I had to. Anyway, thank you for your help and I will continue to monitor my gauges closely.

Unread 05/17/2018, 04:15 PM   #2937
earwicker7
Registered Member

Just received my Masterflex 7523-60 W/ Easy load 7518-10 head. I have a few questions before I start setting it up.

Do I have to use Masterflex tubing? I know it says it voids the warranty if you don't, but this is used, with no warranty. I'm looking around for prices online, and they're all REALLY long lengths for a LOT of money.

Second, would anyone happen to know what size screws you use to attach the head to the main unit? The person I bought it from didn't include any. I can always take it down to the hardware store and figure it out on my own if necessary, but it's much easier just being able to do a quick order on Amazon Prime.

earwicker7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2018, 04:24 PM   #2938
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwicker7 View Post
Just received my Masterflex 7523-60 W/ Easy load 7518-10 head. I have a few questions before I start setting it up.

Do I have to use Masterflex tubing? I know it says it voids the warranty if you don't, but this is used, with no warranty. I'm looking around for prices online, and they're all REALLY long lengths for a LOT of money.

Second, would anyone happen to know what size screws you use to attach the head to the main unit? The person I bought it from didn't include any. I can always take it down to the hardware store and figure it out on my own if necessary, but it's much easier just being able to do a quick order on Amazon Prime.
You don’t need to use the Cole Parmer tubing. There is a link on the post 3 of the first page of this thread for the Pharmed type LS17 equivalent tubing from US Plastics that is sold by the foot. It also includes the parts needed to connect the tubing to 1/4” John Guest style push lock RODI tubing which is very convenient.

Here is the LS17 Pharmed type tubing sold by the foot.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=25534

I am pretty certain the screw is 8-32 x 2-1/4” and you will want a stainless socket head type. It would be pretty easy to take the pump and head down to a hardware store like Ace or True Value Hardware and match up a set of stainless screws rather than ordering them online. It would also likely be cheaper since you don’t need to worry about shipping.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2018, 04:26 PM   #2939
earwicker7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
You don’t need to use the Cole Parmer tubing. There is a link on the first page of this thread for the Pharmed type LS17 equivalent tubing from US Plastics that is sold by the foot.

I am pretty certain the screw is 8-32 x 2-1/4” and you will want a stainless socket head type.
D'oh! I read that part of the thread a month or two back and forgot about it.

Thanks!

earwicker7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2018, 11:41 PM   #2940
zip70
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverlosT View Post
Awesome, thanks I will try that!
Were you able to change flow rate to 45, 55...? I can not do it. how do I change RPM?

zip70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2018, 10:14 AM   #2941
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
You don’t need to use the Cole Parmer tubing. There is a link on the post 3 of the first page of this thread for the Pharmed type LS17 equivalent tubing from US Plastics that is sold by the foot. It also includes the parts needed to connect the tubing to 1/4” John Guest style push lock RODI tubing which is very convenient.

Here is the LS17 Pharmed type tubing sold by the foot.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=25534

I am pretty certain the screw is 8-32 x 2-1/4” and you will want a stainless socket head type. It would be pretty easy to take the pump and head down to a hardware store like Ace or True Value Hardware and match up a set of stainless screws rather than ordering them online. It would also likely be cheaper since you don’t need to worry about shipping.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
Unread 05/20/2018, 11:50 AM   #2942
Chicago
Registered Member

is a cole parmer 7523-20 brushless ? cant seem to find out

thanks

Current Tank Info: 500 gal starphire, reef sps dominated, 40 plus fish, 300 gallon sump in basement below, reeftek calcium reactor, reeftek kalkwasser reactor, lifeguard fluidized filter for rowaphose, 4 400MH 10k xm, 2 160 vho super attinic, DYI 50 gallon denitrator
Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2018, 02:15 PM   #2943
Chicago
Registered Member

better question.. pro and con for brushless. or brushed. thanks

Current Tank Info: 500 gal starphire, reef sps dominated, 40 plus fish, 300 gallon sump in basement below, reeftek calcium reactor, reeftek kalkwasser reactor, lifeguard fluidized filter for rowaphose, 4 400MH 10k xm, 2 160 vho super attinic, DYI 50 gallon denitrator
Unread 05/20/2018, 02:35 PM   #2944
Bpb
Registered Member

How challenging is it for someone with very little diy experience to replace brushes. The instructions seem pretty simple. My masterflex has been running for about 18 months continuously and it is an older model that shows significant wear and tear. It’s got a ridiculously loud 60 hz hum that is constant. I wonder if fresh brushes would quiet that down some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2018, 06:00 PM   #2945
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpb View Post
How challenging is it for someone with very little diy experience to replace brushes. The instructions seem pretty simple. My masterflex has been running for about 18 months continuously and it is an older model that shows significant wear and tear. It’s got a ridiculously loud 60 hz hum that is constant. I wonder if fresh brushes would quiet that down some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Simple. Unplug the unit. Remove the cover. Remove the plastic cap that holds the brush in place on each side of the motor. Pull the old brushes, install the new ones. The screw the cap back in. Put the cover back on and your done. The whole process shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes. I don’t think the brushes will reduce the hum though it wouldn’t hurt to swap them anyways or at least inspect them to see how much carbon/graphite is left.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2018, 06:12 AM   #2946
Chicago
Registered Member

pros and cons of brushless V brushed ? Please .. thank you ..
if brushed. are part easy to get from cole parmer .. for lets say the 7230-20?

Unread 05/21/2018, 06:22 AM   #2947
Chicago
Registered Member

Unread 05/21/2018, 07:12 AM   #2948
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago View Post
Noise level.

Unread 05/21/2018, 07:44 AM   #2949
Chicago
Registered Member

so how loud are we talking.. low hmm or ? anyone have a post of a video operating a brushed Cole palmer pump.. thanks

Unread 05/21/2018, 10:40 AM   #2950
vitodog
Registered Member

Chicago, take a few minutes and read the first page or two of this thread. The answers to most, if not all of your questions are right there. I was referred there myself by another member and I am so glad I did.