Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/04/2019, 07:03 AM   #1
Trucker Den
Registered Member

Is 220gallon too big

I am thinking of converting my 220 gallon tank over to a saltwater tank. I have never kept anything but freshwater fish. Is a 220 to big for beginners? Also What preparation do I need to do? I have a sump set up with argonite gravel in the tank. Can I reuse the gravel? The tank is currently running with my cichlids in it. What is a list of equipment that I need to start? I know I need a protein skimmer and a RODI system.

Trucker Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2019, 07:19 AM   #2
Jenius
Registered Member

The bigger the tank the easier it is to keep stable. More expensive but easier. Go for it.

Unread 09/04/2019, 07:23 AM   #3
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Great place to start is here with the Stickies.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1031074

If you already have a 220, then roll with it. A 220 would give you lots of fish options, which most importantly, build your tank around the primary fish (and possibly coral) you want to have.

Tangs and other larger fish for instance need 4' long tanks or more depending on the species.

I run a 150 gallon tank (5" x 2") with a 35 gallon sump. Read everything here for like 2 years before starting and still come back with questions from time to time.

The only thing that may be more time consuming is water changes (dont' know, never had freshwater fish). It would be good to set up a saltwater mixing station that can provide you with 10 - 20% each week of your tank volume.

Also, you could look into the Triton method which attempts to avoid water changes via nutrient and mineral supplements through a large sump/refugium, but I have no experience with it.

Lastly, take your time. As many will tell you, nothing happens fast in the saltwater hobby. Go slow, research, and don't jump ahead and you'll avoid most mistakes others make.

Oh, and do not reuse the gravel. You want more of a argonite sand, 1 to 2" deep unless you want specific critters that demand deeper beds. Some people go entirely bare bottom as well. Sand beds are preference and specie specific demands, so long as you've accounted for your bioload.
Gravel allows for too much pore spacing and less surface area, which leads it to be more of a problem than helpful.

Thornbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2019, 08:29 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker Den View Post
I know I need a protein skimmer and a RODI system.
Technically both are "optional"..
Many say that their tanks do better without a skimmer and there are plenty who do without a RODI system..
However a RODI is highly recommended and may be absolutely required based on the specific water that your town provides you..

The only thing you "need" is
-a tank to hold water
-saltwater
-something to create water movement to keep the water oxygenated

beyond that
-rock (basically as porous as possible) will drastically increase the surface area to provide a surface for bacterial colonization. The bacteria does MOST of the work as far as converting toxic ammonia to its lesser toxic forms ->nitrite->nitrate->nitrogen gas,etc...

Unread 09/04/2019, 08:34 AM   #5
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

let me put a plug in here for an auto top off system. in my mind an ATO is 100% required for any serious foray in to this hobby.

for the first 8 months or so i started in this, i was topping off manually every day. i saw improvements in both coral and fish when i switched to an ATO.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2019, 09:02 AM   #6
Trucker Den
Registered Member

Thank you for all the help. Let me run down what I currently have setup. I have a 220 gallon with a crystal reef stealth 44 sump. 2 aquamaxx bio reactors, neptune apex el with ato, dos pump for auto water changes, wav pumps and dual cor 20 for the return. it is a marineland dual overflow setup as a dual bean animal without a emergency.with 4 pipes I figured I wouldnt need one. currently I am circulating 1600gph with that setup.

Trucker Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2019, 09:51 AM   #7
Bpb
Registered Member

I top off manually every day and use the ATO to fill in the gaps if I forget or am away. An ato is good to have but not essential, even on the most demanding SPS dominant type tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2019, 09:52 AM   #8
Jenius
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoBongo View Post
let me put a plug in here for an auto top off system. in my mind an ATO is 100% required for any serious foray in to this hobby.

for the first 8 months or so i started in this, i was topping off manually every day. i saw improvements in both coral and fish when i switched to an ATO.
I can't figure out if I agree with this or not. LOL. I am over 15 years into this hobby and I JUST RECENTLY installed my first ATO! I don't know how I lived without it BUT amazingly I did.

It does make enjoying the aquarium easier.

Unread 09/10/2019, 05:37 AM   #9
rocsec1
Registered Member

I don't think it is too big. I wish I had gone bigger to start. I started with a 30 cube, then a 75, and I now have a 120 with a 40b sump. and 40b frag tank all plumbed together. I wish I had a 180 or 240 instead of the 120. I don't think I will upgrade again, but I wish I had gone bigger.

rocsec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2019, 04:09 PM   #10
Sinn Sage
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker Den View Post
I am thinking of converting my 220 gallon tank over to a saltwater tank. I have never kept anything but freshwater fish. Is a 220 to big for beginners? Also What preparation do I need to do? I have a sump set up with argonite gravel in the tank. Can I reuse the gravel? The tank is currently running with my cichlids in it. What is a list of equipment that I need to start? I know I need a protein skimmer and a RODI system.
Depends........what's the limit on your credit card?

First, get rid of the freshwater fish and I don't mean dump them in the nearest lake or river.

Gravel is good for your flower beds.

So let's hit the 'what I need' list:

1} some way of making RO water....lots of it.
2} some way of storing lots of RO water and saltwater
3} coral sand and rock (live or dead)
4} some type of filtration system, maybe Mr. Bean
5} return pump
6} sump
7} protein skimmer
8} lights, be it tube/LED or just LED
9} Knick Knacks of crap that you will collect over time

and 10} patience along with a good credit card and/or understanding significant other