Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/11/2015, 02:39 PM   #1
reeftanker3295
Registered Member

ro/di unit slow and getting tds

I replaced my filters and di resin block probably 3 months ago, and ro membrane probably about a year and a half ago. I live in southwest florida on city water, and it seems like I can never get my unit to read 0 tds. The production has also slowed to maybe a gallon or two an hour or so, and my tds is reading 2. I'm very confused, could the filters be getting exhausted this quickly, or should I replace my membrane? It's frustrating to replace my filters every few months and still see tds in my water. I know 2 is not incredibly high but I want it to be at 0 of course. Any input would be great.

reeftanker3295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2015, 02:42 PM   #2
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

what is the water pressure going into the unit?

was it at 0 TDS when you changed the DI resin last?

how many stages is the unit? and what filters are you using in it?

ryeguyy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2015, 02:50 PM   #3
reeftanker3295
Registered Member

I don't know the water pressure, it never really read 0 last time I changed the filters and it's a 5 stage unit I use this filter pack http://theh2oguru.com/filters/filter...nt-filter.html

Unread 06/12/2015, 07:52 AM   #4
ericarenee
Registered Member

where do you buy your filters. They are not all equal. I had bit issues with filters and resin from Ebay.. Since i went to BRS ONLY For them i get more life from filters and always 0 tds.. Where i live i only get 1.5 years on a Filmtec membrane. You really need a Pressure gauge after your membrane so you know when its getting stopped up. Just observe the pressure right after you change it and you can see the drop .
Also Check all of your lines and fittings for sediment and build up.
Good Luck

ericarenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2015, 07:58 AM   #5
cmcoker
Registered Member

I see that the kit comes with a refillable Activated Catalytic Carbon Filter, are you set up to flush this filter before use? I use the brs version and my Rodi is setup with a bypass after this cartridge so when it is replaced the fines are flushed through for several minutes before use. The fines from that cartridge could easily clog the rest of the membranes downstream..
See if I can find the brs video about it..

Here it is, talks about this at 7:50,
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/...uctions-video/

Also agree on checking water pressure..

Last edited by cmcoker; 06/12/2015 at 08:07 AM.
cmcoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2015, 11:00 AM   #6
reeftanker3295
Registered Member

Yes I have a flushing system and I flush it for 10 minutes before every use. Just ordered all new filters and a new membrane as the unit pretty much stopped producing water all together last night. Pretty frustrating as I really need to do a water change...

Unread 06/12/2015, 11:18 AM   #7
Shaummy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeftanker3295 View Post
Yes I have a flushing system and I flush it for 10 minutes before every use. Just ordered all new filters and a new membrane as the unit pretty much stopped producing water all together last night. Pretty frustrating as I really need to do a water change...
To be clear...what cmcoker asked..was if you have a way to flush

before the membrane to make sure the carbon fines in the new prefilters don't make it into the membrane.

Most have the ability to flush the membrane itself, you would have to put a valve in or disconnect the line to bypass before the membrane. You
would only have to do this when the carbon stages are replaced.

If you do..then great.

Current Tank Info: Current Tank Info: 90g mixed reef, hermits, snails,Lyretail Anthias,Orange back Fairy Wrasse,Blue Reef Chromis,small blue tang, Flame Hawk, Royal Gramma
Shaummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2015, 11:34 AM   #8
reeftanker3295
Registered Member

Ah I see, no I dont. How would I do this so I don't have the same problem after installing the new filters? Just disconnect the carbon filter from the next stage and let it run for a few minutes?

Unread 06/12/2015, 11:47 AM   #9
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

yeah pretty much. if you want to make it easier BRS sells a valve but for once or twice a year I just pull the hose and run 5 gallons through it. if you didn't you most likely clogged everything after that filter.

and a pressure gauge would let you know when to replace the sediment filter.

ryeguyy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2015, 02:26 PM   #10
cmcoker
Registered Member

Thank for the clarification Shaummy.
Reeftanker, yes you could disconnect the carbon filter and let it run ten minutes. I have the valve on my unit to send the water to the waste line.
If the fines have made it to the ro membrane and clogged it, you would need to replace the membrane, and possibly the carbon block. The Catalytic carbon and sediment filter are probably fine.
The video I linked shows how to use the valve to flush the fines at 7:50

cmcoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rodi, tds