Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/24/2015, 01:52 PM   #76
acesq
Registered Member

Since November 2013. I wouldn't worry about the zinc pulleys, especially at that height.

Unread 03/24/2015, 02:52 PM   #77
Ericd000
Registered Member

Cool. Last questions for now, what are the specs on your exhaust fan? Is it always on, or humidity sensing? If it is humidity sensing, what are your thoughts on the noise from the fan?

Ericd000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2015, 04:27 PM   #78
acesq
Registered Member

The fan is humidity and motion sensing. Its a Panasonic, if I recall correctly its the FV-08VQC5 80 cfm and very quiet. I cant hear it over the sound of the DC closed loop pumps, which are pretty quiet themselves. That pulls plenty of air to vent the canopy area. I installed the same one in my sump room but ended up replacing it with a 110 cfm model because it could not keep up.

Unread 03/24/2015, 05:11 PM   #79
Ericd000
Registered Member

Cool, what's the volume of the 110 CFM like?

Unread 03/24/2015, 05:58 PM   #80
acesq
Registered Member

The 80 CFM is rated at .3 sones and the 110 is rated at .5 sones. So you get a bunch more volume without much more noise. I would definitely go with the larger one even if it was a bit overkill.

Unread 03/24/2015, 08:09 PM   #81
Ericd000
Registered Member

Good to know. The 110CFM is already in my cart pending next order.

Thanks for the information!

Looking forward to seeing more of your tank as it matures!

Unread 07/21/2016, 11:30 AM   #82
SPotter
Registered Member

long...long....long....long....long overdue for an update here Art!!!!!

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2017, 10:38 AM   #83
acesq
Registered Member

Sooo... time for an update.

Long story short, the tank was humming along, excellent growth and color from the corals, the tank had matured into exactly what I had hoped when I planned it. Then disaster struck in early August, 2016 . All of my SPS started to STN. I'll keep you in the same suspense I suffered through trying to figure it out and first show you some happy times pictures:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 01/08/2017, 10:46 AM   #84
acesq
Registered Member

And some more (all but one or two of the SPS you see here are DEAD!)

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 01/08/2017, 10:54 AM   #85
acesq
Registered Member

Then this happened:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This is the skeleton of a Jedi Mind Trick Monti that I grew from a half inch frag I bought in 2011!! The hardest loss of them all.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Incredibly, despite the devastation around it, this purple stag made it through with no more than a few burnt tips.
[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 01/08/2017, 10:59 AM   #86
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

So yes... Waiting for an answer to that. WOW

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2017, 11:00 AM   #87
SPotter
Registered Member

wow art.....when you told me that things got bad, i had no clue just how bad things got!!! It pains me to see these pictures.

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
Unread 01/08/2017, 11:51 AM   #88
acesq
Registered Member

While this decline was happening, I was desperately trying to find what was going on. Massive water changes were not working, the STN continued regardless what I did. My alk was stable (the Dastaco has not missed a beat), my nutrients were low, almost undetectable (I have 15 liters of Siporax in the sump, replacing the marine pure blocks I started with and dose -NP Pro and Pro Bio S).

I sent in a Triton a test and it came back pretty good for all parameters but one -- a heavy metal Triton did not even test for until this year -- Tungsten. My Tungsten level was at 556 ug/l when it should have been at zero.

I visited the Triton/Unique Corals booth at MACNA San Diego and had a long talk with Eshan Dashti about the tungsten levels and he relayed his experience with the heavy metal -- it can be released when cheap stainless steel corrodes in salt water. He had experienced it when the impeller of a Chinese made DC pump corroded. Guess what? I had three of that exact pump in my system. I went home and the following day (after sadly having to put down my horse -- yep, when it rains it pours) and took apart all of my pumps. By then I had 3 Blue Eco DC pumps, a Tunze and an Ecotech L-1 running the systems. The only corrosion I could find was a small amount on two SS bolts on the Blue Ecos. I took them off line as soon as I could -- with three Royal Exclusive RD3 230W pumps.

I continued with weekly 20-30% water changes and sent in another water sample to Triton. I got the Tungsten levels down to 470 within 6 weeks. Not a very fast decline.

A month later (after taking out a 3 gallon bucket of coral skeletons) and many more water changes, the levels were down to 235.

But this was still too high and not decreasing as fast as I would have expected. I ran a magnet through the gravel in the DT and found no metal. So I decided to vacuum the the sump. It was then that I remembered that I was using an Avast probe holder in the far back corner of the return section to hold the float switch for my topoff system. I pulled the magnet out and just about screamed. Rusty water was dripping out of it! I pulled the silicone cover off the magnet and found this:

[IMG][/IMG]

I was both p***ed off and elated. I have not been able to confirm that a rusting magnet releases Tungsten, but I know it releases bad stuff so getting it out of there can only help.

Here are a few pics of what it looks like now. My Tunsgen levels are now below 90, I'm still doing 15% weekly water changes and my SPS are growing well. I don't have the polyp extension I would like, but attribute it to super low nutrients and high par levels and perhaps the still elevated Tungsten level. The frags in the frag tank, with lower par show much better polyp extension, so I'm not confident it is a chemical issue. I've been dosing NaNo3 to get the nitrate up to near 10 ppm and the colors on the SPS have deepened.

Sooo, long story long, I'm baaaak!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

My new Jedi Mind Trick:
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 01/08/2017, 11:59 AM   #89
acesq
Registered Member

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

One of the survivors. A few colonies left a thin layer of polyps attached to the reef. Many are making a comeback.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 01/08/2017, 12:01 PM   #90
acesq
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm5406 View Post
So yes... Waiting for an answer to that. WOW
Now you have it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
wow art.....when you told me that things got bad, i had no clue just how bad things got!!! It pains me to see these pictures.
I kept a stiff upper lip about it. It was that or take a ball peen hammer to the tank!!

Unread 01/08/2017, 12:51 PM   #91
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

OK. Well now I am going to look at my avast holders. I wonder... Thanks for the heads up and glad to see you are moving forward.

Hard to take but you are on the upward path.

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2017, 01:13 PM   #92
acesq
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm5406 View Post
OK. Well now I am going to look at my avast holders. I wonder... Thanks for the heads up and glad to see you are moving forward.

Hard to take but you are on the upward path.
This hobby can dole out the heartache, that's for sure. But I'm pretty passionate about it so in the end I'll just treat it as another learning experience and move forward.

Unread 01/08/2017, 03:33 PM   #93
dave.m
Registered Member

<gulp!>

That was a pretty tough lesson. Thx for sharing.

I have been looking up what would be good for filtering out tungsten. Most articles are on water conditioners for treating source water. There are some articles saying activated carbon can work. Polyfilters say they will remove it but at that size they would also be removing other metals from the water as well - another source water form of filtration only, I think.

I guess this just reinforces the lesson that cheap Chinese goods aren't so cheap in the long run.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2017, 04:26 PM   #94
acesq
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
<gulp!>

That was a pretty tough lesson. Thx for sharing.

I have been looking up what would be good for filtering out tungsten. Most articles are on water conditioners for treating source water. There are some articles saying activated carbon can work. Polyfilters say they will remove it but at that size they would also be removing other metals from the water as well - another source water form of filtration only, I think.

I guess this just reinforces the lesson that cheap Chinese goods aren't so cheap in the long run.

Dave.M

Polyfilters and carbon don't work. I tried both. And while I agree with you about cheap Chinese products, I'm not convinced it wasn't caused by the magnet American made probe holder. Although I can't find any references to tungsten in magnets or the nickel coating.

Unread 01/08/2017, 07:51 PM   #95
SPotter
Registered Member

nice new additions art!!!! i see you have been doing some shopping at TGC and possibly Unique Corals!!!!

Unread 01/08/2017, 09:25 PM   #96
acesq
Registered Member

Correct Steve! And Vivid and California Aquariums (Pink Floyd and Walt Disney) a few vendors. I'm looking forward to growing them into decent colonies.

Unread 01/08/2017, 10:20 PM   #97
slief
RC Sponsor

Wow.. Great to hear and see things turning around for you! I'm sure it won't be long for your tank to really start filling out. From the looks of things, the corals are really starting to take off again and looking great too.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2017, 10:33 PM   #98
acesq
Registered Member

Thanks Scott. Things are looking good again. With a little time a patience, I'll have a tank full of colonies again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unread 01/08/2017, 10:58 PM   #99
King Jason
Reefer

I am so grateful for the update on this thread! I just randomly started reading it as I'm doing some research for some upgrades. Great tank BTW. I had the same exact scenario happening to me many months ago where much of my coral just crashed on me for no reason (that I could figure out). The tank has been pretty idle and "dead" since then. After reading this thread I checked the magnet on LED light that hangs on my refugium and ...bam, cracked plastic around the seal and exposed magnet/metal and whatever else is inside there. When I popped it open there was plenty of water in there from the moisture and I'm sure it's been dripping into my tank.

I never would have thought to check that if it wasn't for this update!

I just ordered a Triton test kit and we'll see if I have something going on similar to you.

King Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2017, 09:23 AM   #100
acesq
Registered Member

King Jason, (my leige ) let me know what your Triton test shows for heavy metals. Magnets are killers lying in wait!!