Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/26/2015, 08:05 PM   #51
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

I just can't believe it's happening again.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2015, 08:15 PM   #52
ocellaris123
Registered Member

sorry to hear, dont give up though,

I had a female maroon who came down with brook, She was saved by doing freshwater and formalin baths.

ocellaris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2015, 08:53 PM   #53
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocellaris123 View Post
sorry to hear, dont give up though,

I had a female maroon who came down with brook, She was saved by doing freshwater and formalin baths.
Thanks for encouraging words buddy. I went to petco and picked up an aquarium kit with light light and heater. Next thing is to figure out how I want to handle this process…move the healthier clown to uninfected tank or use the new tank for the infected clown, what medications to use, etc. A plan of action will be ready by the end of the night.

Unread 04/26/2015, 09:04 PM   #54
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Treat both at the same time.
Also try to get straight 37% formalin like Formalin MS.
After the dip they have to go into a sterilized tank to prevent reinfection.
In the tank you may want to treat them with an antibiotic - Septra worked for me before.
Do your best to safe them.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2015, 10:18 PM   #55
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Well the white stuff that was on the clown is gone. I understand that brook is deadly and can progress quickly but because quick-ich X contains formaldehyde known to be effective against the parasite I decided not to take any drastic measures just yet. There is a chance the medication is helping and I don't want to disrupt the process or to induce more stress. The clown does not look as bad as my previous pairs I lost to brook and ate plenty of food yesterday. If either of them look worse tomorrow then I will take action. I already have an idea of what I would do in that case.
This is what he looked like a couple of hours ago. Looks a little better now. The small white spots are in between two wite bars (middle and near tail) I will try to upload a video in a bit.

Last edited by CoralsAddiction; 04/26/2015 at 10:49 PM.
Unread 04/26/2015, 10:22 PM   #56
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
In the tank you may want to treat them with an antibiotic - Septra worked for me before.
Do your best to safe them.
Yes, I have read that brook can damage skin and cause secondary bacterial infection. I plan on treating them for infections as soon as it is practical. I have the medication for it but I can't add it to the tank just yet. I would like to continue treating them with quick-Ich X. That entails doing 30% water changes before daily dose of medication…which can interfere with anti-bacterial medication. Thanks.

Last edited by CoralsAddiction; 04/26/2015 at 10:48 PM.
Unread 04/26/2015, 10:56 PM   #57
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Here's a video I took 3-4 hours ago. You can see the white little patches toward the back of clown's body in between white bars. I thought the white stringy poop was due to clowns eating brine shrimp for the most part (diet) but that doesn't appear to be the case. Instead it's an indication of parasite infection. But the white stringy poop has disappeared and I am hoping the clowns' condition will improve.
https://youtu.be/en4zFYqVuKo

Unread 04/26/2015, 11:25 PM   #58
ThRoewer
Registered Member

The one looks definitely sick. I hope he pulls through.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 04/27/2015, 01:00 AM   #59
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

I added airstone and it has helped a little bit. Even in their sleep mode the clowns perked up a little and look better. The clown's breathing improved significantly. I thought that water breaking from my aqua clear 30 filter was sufficient but that was not the case. When formalin is involved aeration must be stronger. The treatment continues.

Last edited by CoralsAddiction; 04/27/2015 at 01:08 AM.
Unread 04/27/2015, 01:08 AM   #60
DasCamel
Registered Member

I've treated Brook a couple times last year, with multiple types of fish. Following the instructions of the Kordons products never worked well. Not sure what the best way is to procure 37% formalin that is high grade.

Both times what sealed the deal was Quick Cure from Wal Mart. I hate going to Wal Mart, but that product worked the best. I lost a few fish relying on the Kordon's products. Just be sure to treat as bath or dip with tank transfer. I followed the Chucks Addiction instructions to the letter.

What PPM and length of time have you been treating?

Current Tank Info: 375g Build thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2608197
DasCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2015, 01:29 AM   #61
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasCamel View Post
I've treated Brook a couple times last year, with multiple types of fish. Following the instructions of the Kordons products never worked well. Not sure what the best way is to procure 37% formalin that is high grade.

Both times what sealed the deal was Quick Cure from Wal Mart. I hate going to Wal Mart, but that product worked the best. I lost a few fish relying on the Kordon's products. Just be sure to treat as bath or dip with tank transfer. I followed the Chucks Addiction instructions to the letter.

What PPM and length of time have you been treating?
I use Chucks Addiction as reference too. My attempts to acquire Quick Cure from multiple fish stores on the same day I purchased the clowns proved to be futile. A local fish store owner told me about Quick Ich X by Hikari. I studied its ingridients at the shop and concluded it's the best medication one could obtain (22% formaldehyde) on the spot without dealing with shipping. Granted the medication has a lower concentration of formalin than one would desire it is nevertheless helping my clowns to deal with brook. Giving them a medicated bath in a small separate tank upon bringing the clowns home and subsequently dosing the QT with it may have actually saved them from perishing outright. I might order the standard 37% formaldehyde tomorrow but for now the medication that's already in the tank seems to be helping.
I might go to Walmart tomorrow to see if they have quick cure before pulling the trigger on online purchase. Thanks for the tip.

Unread 04/27/2015, 01:41 AM   #62
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

they are sleeping. Not terribly lethargic at the moment.

Last edited by CoralsAddiction; 04/27/2015 at 02:07 AM.
Unread 04/27/2015, 02:29 AM   #63
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

Sorry to hear this, and hoping for a fast recovery. Sounds like you have a very solid plan for treatment and I'm glad they are responding to it.

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Dkuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2015, 08:01 AM   #64
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkuhlmann View Post
Sorry to hear this, and hoping for a fast recovery. Sounds like you have a very solid plan for treatment and I'm glad they are responding to it.
Thank you.

Unread 04/27/2015, 09:50 AM   #65
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

The clown is a little lethargic while the other one is swimming around. Here's a pic of the sick clown from this morning. He doesn't look too bad overall but his lethargy is concerning.

Unread 04/27/2015, 02:36 PM   #66
ExpertMarine
Registered Member

Sorry to hear man. I also have experience keeping wild onyx. It's very tough no doubt.
I started with 5 qtd in Nitrofurzone Green, lost my favorite two right off the bat, also shipped one to a friend in good health and it got sick on him and died. I have two left, one is doing good and the other is fighting flukes.

The white patch of slime coat is easily addressed with CP (1/8tsp per 10g dose). It fixed that over night for me after removing them from the nitro green QT. I then noticed some skin bumps and scales started raising. This is the part that was hard to tackle and eventually led to their death. I even tried Erythromycin on them and it didn't help.

Yesterday I picked up a pair of wild onyx clowns from a local reefer that he had for over 6 months. Although they looked really good they are now in a QT with some other Balis with a mild dose of CP. Fingers crossed...

I now have Revive from Fish Vet to also use...

Best of luck bud. Keep us updated.

ExpertMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2015, 03:53 PM   #67
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpertMarine View Post
Sorry to hear man. I also have experience keeping wild onyx. It's very tough no doubt.
I started with 5 qtd in Nitrofurzone Green, lost my favorite two right off the bat, also shipped one to a friend in good health and it got sick on him and died. I have two left, one is doing good and the other is fighting flukes.

The white patch of slime coat is easily addressed with CP (1/8tsp per 10g dose). It fixed that over night for me after removing them from the nitro green QT. I then noticed some skin bumps and scales started raising. This is the part that was hard to tackle and eventually led to their death. I even tried Erythromycin on them and it didn't help.

Yesterday I picked up a pair of wild onyx clowns from a local reefer that he had for over 6 months. Although they looked really good they are now in a QT with some other Balis with a mild dose of CP. Fingers crossed...

I now have Revive from Fish Vet to also use...

Best of luck bud. Keep us updated.
Thanks

Unread 04/27/2015, 03:56 PM   #68
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

The clowns went through a tank transfer. They will receive a regular formalin bath in the evening and will go back in the tank. Coppersafe will be added to QT just in case I am dealing with something other than brook (or in addition to brook) such as Velvet.

Last edited by CoralsAddiction; 04/27/2015 at 04:22 PM.
Unread 04/27/2015, 05:30 PM   #69
DasCamel
Registered Member

If it's 22% you can add more to get the dosage to equal what it would be for the 37%. Never tried the Hikari, curious to see its effectiveness. I grew up in Santa Monica, not sure if Wal Mart is even exists on the Westside, best place for Quick Cure

Current Tank Info: 375g Build thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2608197
Unread 04/27/2015, 06:05 PM   #70
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasCamel View Post
If it's 22% you can add more to get the dosage to equal what it would be for the 37%. Never tried the Hikari, curious to see its effectiveness. I grew up in Santa Monica, not sure if Wal Mart is even exists on the Westside, best place for Quick Cure
I don't know of a Walmart store on the west side. I've only been to Walmart probably 3-4 times in my life because there's a Target on almost every corner. LOL.
A friend of mine gave me some regular 37% formalin. I decided not to experiment with Hikari on these clowns because they are harder to find than regular true percs and sometimes getting them requires 40-50 mile round trips which I would rather not do. Haha. But if I were not able to find regular formalin I would stick with Hikari. I looked up Kordon. It only has 11.5 % formalin.

Unread 04/27/2015, 06:46 PM   #71
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

The clowns are about to be placed in a long term formalin bath for 5 days with 30% daily water changes and formalin replenishments. Maracyn 2 will also be used at the same time to treat secondary bacterial infections.

Unread 04/27/2015, 07:40 PM   #72
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

SG has been lowered to 1.016 and Formalin has been added to QT. I am a little unsure about dosing Maracyn 2 for infection because of mixed views on mixing formalin with other meds.

Unread 04/28/2015, 01:16 AM   #73
DasCamel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralsAddiction View Post
I don't know of a Walmart store on the west side. I've only been to Walmart probably 3-4 times in my life because there's a Target on almost every corner. LOL.
A friend of mine gave me some regular 37% formalin. I decided not to experiment with Hikari on these clowns because they are harder to find than regular true percs and sometimes getting them requires 40-50 mile round trips which I would rather not do. Haha. But if I were not able to find regular formalin I would stick with Hikari. I looked up Kordon. It only has 11.5 % formalin.
Yeah, I adjusted the Kordon per their instructions to the levels in PPM that Chucks suggests and it was still futile. And yeah we do most of our shopping at Target also, I hate the mart except for an occasional weird reason, like getting a fishing license quickly.

Unread 04/28/2015, 03:09 AM   #74
ExpertMarine
Registered Member

I would suggest keeping the SG closer to 1.025 as it's more in line with their natural environment...
You should look into Revive by FishVet as it has two other ingredients that are compatible with Formalin and one of those might do what you want...

ExpertMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2015, 03:24 AM   #75
ThRoewer
Registered Member

1.016 is fine! Sick fish do actually better in lower salinity.