Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/30/2015, 11:41 AM   #126
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
The Pelvic fins of both pairs are deformed and small.
I didn't even notice that detail - they just seemed off to me.

I wouldn't have taken these for free - let alone pay 250 + shipping.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2015, 11:53 AM   #127
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Picking up another wild onyx.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2015, 12:01 PM   #128
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralsAddiction View Post
Picking up another wild onyx.
That's a nice one!

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 04/30/2015, 02:37 PM   #129
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Very Important Observation

I now know exactly what killed my clowns. It was Formalin. I just put the new wild caught onyx clown through a formalin bath using chucks addiction as a reference for administering the bath. Instead of dumping 1 teaspoon (5 ml) into a container filled with one gallon of DT water, I dosed 1 ml at a time every 2-3 mins on average. As soon as I got to about 4.5ml-5ml mark, the new clown became agitated and tried jumping out of the bucket. These were the same symptoms my deceased pair of clowns showed the night before dying. The dose administered as recommended in Chucks Addiction article was too strong for my clowns. The formalin bath had to be aborted 35-40 mins in. The plan was to go 60 mins but the clown could not handle it. At no other point did the deceased pair of clowns showed the same symptoms as described above. Hence I concluded that Formalin was the leading cause of their death.
Also, keep in mind that the deceased pair did fine for 2 nights with Quick-Ich X that has 22% formalin. They died when I removed the medication with carbon and a large water change, and subsequently dosed the QT with 37% formalin.
Moral of the story: Treat with caution

Last edited by CoralsAddiction; 04/30/2015 at 02:44 PM.
Unread 04/30/2015, 02:55 PM   #130
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
That's a nice one!
Thanks. I just hope it lives. My success rate is now higher with Gigs and Magnificas than with these wild Onyx clowns.

Unread 04/30/2015, 03:58 PM   #131
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
I just hope it lives.
I doubt this clown lives. It has been less than two hours and it's all covered in white slime. Currently the QT is dosed with Maracyn 2 and Coppersafe. Both are Mardel products and are supposed to be safe for concurrent use.

Unread 04/30/2015, 04:04 PM   #132
DasCamel
Registered Member

Quote:
I doubt this clown lives. It has been less than two hours and it's all covered in white slime. Currently the QT is dosed with Maracyn 2 and Coppersafe. Both are Mardel products and are supposed to be safe for concurrent use.
Where are you getting them from? Do any of the other of the fish store show signs of anything?

Are they going into a clean sterile QT to start right? Matched salinity to the store?

Current Tank Info: 375g Build thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2608197
DasCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2015, 04:09 PM   #133
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasCamel View Post
Where are you getting them from? Do any of the other of the fish store show signs of anything?

Are they going into a clean sterile QT to start right? Matched salinity to the store?
I've tried 3 different vendors. The current one was straight from whole seller...did not spend a second at a fish store. Even a black true percula Solomon pair that came from Quality Marine was no good. I am starting to believe it's a collection/transportation thing. Yes sterile QT with DT water with Dr. Tims beneficial bacteria added each time as precaution.

Unread 04/30/2015, 04:13 PM   #134
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Do any of the other of the fish store show signs of anything?
yes almost all show sign of disease and eventually perish within a week or two even at stores that run copper in their systems.

Unread 04/30/2015, 04:43 PM   #135
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
I now know exactly what killed my clowns. It was Formalin. I just put the new wild caught onyx clown through a formalin bath using chucks addiction as a reference for administering the bath. Instead of dumping 1 teaspoon (5 ml) into a container filled with one gallon of DT water, I dosed 1 ml at a time every 2-3 mins on average. As soon as I got to about 4.5ml-5ml mark, the new clown became agitated and tried jumping out of the bucket. These were the same symptoms my deceased pair of clowns showed the night before dying. The dose administered as recommended in Chucks Addiction article was too strong for my clowns. The formalin bath had to be aborted 35-40 mins in. The plan was to go 60 mins but the clown could not handle it. At no other point did the deceased pair of clowns showed the same symptoms as described above. Hence I concluded that Formalin was the leading cause of their death.
Also, keep in mind that the deceased pair did fine for 2 nights with Quick-Ich X that has 22% formalin. They died when I removed the medication with carbon and a large water change, and subsequently dosed the QT with 37% formalin.
Moral of the story: Treat with caution
WAAAYYY TOO MUCH FORMALIN!!!!
2.6 ml on a gallon max for dips. I do only 1.3ml on a gallon to be on the safe side

Last edited by ThRoewer; 04/30/2015 at 04:43 PM. Reason: formating
Unread 04/30/2015, 04:52 PM   #136
DasCamel
Registered Member

Quote:
2.6 ml on a gallon max for dips. I do only 1.3ml on a gallon to be on the safe side
Where are you getting the numbers from, just curious?

I've added 100 ppm and 200 ppm for fish already used to formalin w/o issues. 2ml per gallon at 37% as a start shouldn't be a problem. I still would start with 30 minutes max. They'll get relief far quicker than that, it just won't eradicate all the parasite.

A sick fish acclimating from shipping will be far more sensitive. I did a bath for my clown under the same circumstances as a precaution from the wholeseller but it was tank bred. A lot more used to our systems.

Goodluck again....

Current Tank Info: 375g Build thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2608197
Unread 04/30/2015, 05:10 PM   #137
ThRoewer
Registered Member

2.6 ml of formalin 37% per gallon (0.68 ml/l) gives you 250 ppm. (maximum dip strength)
1.3 ml of formalin 37% per gallon (0.34 ml/l) gives you 125 ppm. (Fishvet Formalin MS dip instruction)

You need to consider in the calculations that 1 ml formalin 37% has actually only 0.37 ml formalin in it.

Unread 04/30/2015, 06:13 PM   #138
Jrsdaddy
Moved On

This pair was on divers den today but where sold before I could check the price.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (92.3 KB, 66 views)
Jrsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2015, 06:36 PM   #139
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsdaddy View Post
This pair was on divers den today but where sold before I could check the price.
The pair went for $280.

Unread 04/30/2015, 06:38 PM   #140
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

I talked to a fish store owner about fish from Solomon Islands. His store mostly caters to predator tanks. The store carries lots of eels, triggers, tangs, puffers, groupers, etc. the owner told me that Solomon Islands have some really cool triggers he used to get. But most fish that came from Solomon died on him. So he stopped buying Solomon fish.

Unread 04/30/2015, 06:40 PM   #141
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:

A sick fish acclimating from shipping will be far more sensitive. I did a bath for my clown under the same circumstances as a precaution from the wholeseller but it was tank bred. A lot more used to our systems.

Goodluck again....
Thanks. I actually never had a tank raised clown come down with brook and never had to do formalin dips on captive bred ones. Wild...Sololom in particular is a whole different story. Sigh.

Unread 04/30/2015, 06:57 PM   #142
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

On a brighter note my true percs are doing fantastic. I'm loving the little black true perc. Its so cute and so little.

Unread 04/30/2015, 07:33 PM   #143
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
If you look at Chucks page he recommends up to 2 teaspoons (10ml) per gallon for dips. No way wild clowns stressed from shipping can handle that much formalin.

Unread 04/30/2015, 08:28 PM   #144
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

If anyone reading this thread has to deal with Brooklynella and does not have formalin available, I would recommend using Hikari's Quick-Ich X or Seachem's Paraguard...and Quick Cure if it ever comes back on the market.

Last edited by CoralsAddiction; 04/30/2015 at 08:37 PM.
Unread 04/30/2015, 09:10 PM   #145
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
If you look at Chucks page he recommends up to 2 teaspoons (10ml) per gallon for dips. No way wild clowns stressed from shipping can handle that much formalin.
10ml of formalin 37% contain actually 3.7 ml pure formalin.

One gallon is 3785 ml but let’s just round it down to 3700 ml for even numbers.

3.7 ml / 3700 ml = 0.001 = 1000 ppm

2 ml formalin 37% on a gallon should give you about 200 ppm

Someone check if I calculated this right.

Unread 04/30/2015, 09:19 PM   #146
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
10ml of formalin 37% contain actually 3.7 ml pure formalin.

One gallon is 3785 ml but let’s just round it down to 3700 ml for even numbers.

3.7 ml / 3700 ml = 0.001 = 1000 ppm

2 ml formalin 37% on a gallon should give you about 200 ppm

Someone check if I calculated this right.
I am leaning towards using the meds I listed above. We know the ingredient is there (Seachem uses a different ingredient) and the meds presumably lab tested for continuous use in an aquarium. So that eliminates all the guesswork as to dosage that can be safely yet effectively used to treat a sick fish. Not saying you are wrong or that formalin baths have not worked for you. I just find it a little easier and safer to go the other route next time it happens.

Unread 04/30/2015, 11:22 PM   #147
DasCamel
Registered Member

Quote:
2.6 ml of formalin 37% per gallon (0.68 ml/l) gives you 250 ppm. (maximum dip strength)
1.3 ml of formalin 37% per gallon (0.34 ml/l) gives you 125 ppm. (Fishvet Formalin MS dip instruction)

You need to consider in the calculations that 1 ml formalin 37% has actually only 0.37 ml formalin in it.
Wow. I'm glad I never used Chuck's numbers, just the ppm calculated from the manufacturers info. Thanks for the info.

Unread 04/30/2015, 11:24 PM   #148
DasCamel
Registered Member

Quote:
If anyone reading this thread has to deal with Brooklynella and does not have formalin available, I would recommend using Hikari's Quick-Ich X or Seachem's Paraguard...and Quick Cure if it ever comes back on the market.
Did they pull Quick Cure?

Unread 05/01/2015, 12:27 AM   #149
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Did they pull Quick Cure?
Yes. Other than a few private sellers on eBay and Amazon nobody else sells it anymore. Two of the largest dry goods distributors, All Seas Marine and Central Pet do not stock it anymore. So my local contacts that shop there were not able to get it for me.

Unread 05/01/2015, 12:44 AM   #150
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

The new Onyx clown seems to be doing a little better. He is not agitated or stressed. Just chilling in the corner of the tank. The water is a little cloudy. It's a bacteria bloom. I add 10ml of Dr. Tims nitrifying bacteria to my 10 gallon QT every time I set it up after sterilization.