Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/06/2010, 01:09 AM   #1
hermesfansf
Moved On

Will Torch Coral Host Clownfish

Guys, need some advises.

I am very tempted to get this nice looking orange torch coral. I wonder if it will host the clownfish. The clownfish is a wild caught Percula. This little guy has vibrant and deep color, an orange torch coral will be a good match........

hermesfansf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2010, 01:36 AM   #2
dots
Registered Member

Here a link to a thread on the subject

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...php?t=15375657

From my understanding they do on ocassion but its not automatic like with indo pacific anenome.

If you like the coral, get the coral for its own merits....if your lucky it may happen but don't be upset should it not.

Unread 12/06/2010, 02:51 AM   #3
bigdog0598
Registered Member

It has happened for me but keep in mind it will eventually kill the torch. Mine is about 80% less then when I got it after the clowns started hosting in it

bigdog0598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2010, 05:00 AM   #4
AaronM
Registered Member

Mine never did. I read they might, so I strategically positioned a torch hoping my clowns would stop hosting a powerhead. No success - they never went near it. But thats just my little flappys.

I recently read they may host softies http://www.garf.org/39/fish/pict.html

Atm my clowns are flicking around an elegance...

Last edited by AaronM; 12/06/2010 at 05:17 AM.
AaronM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2010, 06:47 AM   #5
snorvich
Team RC member

Clowns that associate (technically the coral/anemone is the host not vice versa) with corals often kill them. Be advised.

Unread 12/06/2010, 07:58 PM   #6
willy7499
Registered Member

Does it matter what type clown? I have had the male Ocerlaris hosting in a torch for about 6 months and the torch is still very healthy (the female has taken a liking to my colt coral). Is it just a matter of time or have I lucked out?

willy7499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2010, 08:18 PM   #7
Vandal996
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dots View Post
Here a link to a thread on the subject

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...php?t=15375657

From my understanding they do on ocassion but its not automatic like with indo pacific anenome.

If you like the coral, get the coral for its own merits....if your lucky it may happen but don't be upset should it not.

No thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

2 Actinic CF with 2 Actinic T5s

Current Tank Info: 92 gallon corner, 120 lbs of rock, 75lbs sand, 20 gallons of water in the sump. 500 watts of light. No fish. 12 hermit crabs, 10 or so snails left, 15 nano brittle stars, tons of pods, 5 ricordia heads, 1 hammer frag, 15 or so zoas and a single candy
Vandal996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2010, 08:54 PM   #8
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

I'm not sure how euphylia respond to it long term (it doesn't look good), but I've seen two perfectly healthy,very large toadstools host two separate clown pairs long term. They look kind of like carpet nems on sticks...just...well...different

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2010, 10:19 PM   #9
steelhead77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermesfansf View Post
Guys, need some advises.

I am very tempted to get this nice looking orange torch coral. I wonder if it will host the clownfish. The clownfish is a wild caught Percula. This little guy has vibrant and deep color, an orange torch coral will be a good match........
I don't really think the clown will care about the color match. Clowns will host the oddest things; mushrooms, torches, powerheads, whatever. Buy the torch for what it is, if you like it. If the clown is hosted great, if not you still have a cool looking torch.

Current tank info:

180 gallon AGA, 40 gallon custom sump, AquaC EV240 skimmer, PM calc reactor, 3x 250w DIY MH, PCI CL-650 Chiller, 2x Koralia 4's, 2x Koralia 2's
steelhead77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2010, 05:06 PM   #10
hermesfansf
Moved On

Thanks Guy.

I bought the pink torch and orange hammerhead. Will update if the clownfish likes them.

Unread 12/07/2010, 06:53 PM   #11
Wolverine
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead77 View Post
I don't really think the clown will care about the color match. Clowns will host the oddest things; mushrooms, torches, powerheads, whatever. Buy the torch for what it is, if you like it. If the clown is hosted great, if not you still have a cool looking torch.
I agree. I advise people to get corals based on whether or not they like them, not whether or not they think a clownfish will associate with it. I've seen them ignore everything they may or "will" associate with.

Current Tank Info: 14g, 29g nano reefs
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2010, 08:47 PM   #12
hermesfansf
Moved On

Yeah, I totally agree. I tend to get some cool color yet low maintenance corals to make the tank colorful.

Unread 12/08/2010, 12:21 AM   #13
Ethan_W
Registered Member

its all about luck, no matter what you buy your clown may never host anything. when i put my second true perc in my tank he started hosting some zoas and they got used to him and stopped closing. when my bigger clown decided to move into those zoas the smaller one moved into the condy. now the female has kicked the small male out of the condy and he's back in the zoas and sometimes GSP

Livestock: 2 true perc clowns, firefish, scooter blenny, yellow coris wrasse, harlequin shrimp, acan, brain, frogspawn, Z's and P's, few SPS, etc
Ethan_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2010, 02:04 PM   #14
hermesfansf
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan_W View Post
its all about luck, no matter what you buy your clown may never host anything. when i put my second true perc in my tank he started hosting some zoas and they got used to him and stopped closing. when my bigger clown decided to move into those zoas the smaller one moved into the condy. now the female has kicked the small male out of the condy and he's back in the zoas and sometimes GSP
I suspect they might be both female.

Unread 12/08/2010, 02:39 PM   #15
troyman
Registered Member

the clowns if they do like it will kill the torch eventually

troyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2010, 03:21 PM   #16
Joshnlaura
Registered Member

I have been wanting to post some pics since I have been told time and time again that clowns wont host in a condy/hatian nem but by golly I have two that will. We have had two smaller clowns for months now that I have tried to get to host in three differnt BTA and never would. The condy we bought very early on and has found a good spot that its happy with and hasnt moved around the tank like the BTA's. They eventually commited suicide in the oveflow We were fortunate enough though to find a mated pair of maroons with an LTA that we got all for one. After a few weeks now they seem to like thier LTA they came with and LOVE the condy too. They migrate back and forth between the two. The two smaller clowns still havnt found a home to love yet though.....

Joshnlaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2010, 08:18 PM   #17
Wolverine
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyman View Post
the clowns if they do like it will kill the torch eventually
"Will" is a strong word. I've seen some Euphyllia, elegance, and bubble corals host clownfish for years with no apparent effect on the corals.

Current Tank Info: 14g, 29g nano reefs
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2010, 11:45 PM   #18
JTrigger
Registered Member

Of my pair, my male maroon hosted a torch and the female hosted a hammer, then they both curled up for the night in my fspawn... definitely a downer for the coral, not happy campers!

JTrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2010, 12:29 AM   #19
wbdevers
Registered Member

On a side note, clowns are protandrous hermaphidites and as such are all born males. As the need arises the the dominate male will become female. As such the larger of a pair is the female. You may have two males atm, but you will end up with one of each.

Beatings will continue until morale improves!!!
"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."--Judge Smails

Current Tank Info: 125g ML dual corner OF mixed reef, Custom stand and canopy, 40g custom sump, lighting (in flux :( )
wbdevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2010, 12:38 AM   #20
Maives
Registered Member

My ocellaris hosts my frogspawn and the FG is doing great, at least as well as the other FG that does not have the clownfish. However, the clown is regularly stung and his orange is more like a burnt sienna color.

Maives is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2010, 02:53 AM   #21
troyman
Registered Member

oh ok lol

troyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2010, 08:22 AM   #22
willy7499
Registered Member

I am still a noob with coral.

What ends up killing the coral? Is it the constant agitation which forces the polyps to retract, therefore not enough light? Or is the clown keeping food away preventing capture?

My torch has nice extension and is still dividing but because of this thread I have nearly convinced myself that it is receding......

I think that having a reef tank will eventually make you lose your mind, LOL!!

Unread 12/14/2010, 04:07 PM   #23
hermesfansf
Moved On

Guys, the pink torch coral is hosted by the wild caught percula clownfish right now. The clownfish is basically living there, won't go elsewhere. It is so interesting to see how they respond to each other. The torch coral stays open all the time, and the clownfish just lays on it.

I have another pair grade A Picasso clownfish that could care less on the torch coral.

I have noticed many differences between WC Percula and Picasso Clown, especially the movement, behavior and color. WC Percula is way more active and playful and has way more vibrant and deeper color than the Picasso.

Unread 11/22/2014, 09:51 AM   #24
IdahoFledgling
Registered Member

I had a Percula host to a large hairy mushroom for about a year. The mushroom was starting to get massive and I read mushrooms will eat fish if they get the opportunity so I removed it!

IdahoFledgling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2014, 03:45 PM   #25
agranoff
Registered Member

I have a clown which took a liking to a torch. Even slept on it. The torch eventually died...