Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/17/2017, 07:16 PM   #1
Ohhithere
Registered Member

Lighting Upgrade?

Hey everyone, thanks for stopping by. I have a IM Nuvo 30L, currently has black box leds, and lets just say they get the job done. That being said, i’d like an upgrade. I have a few sps, but mainly LPS and zoas. The tank is 36”x11”. I really want something that will produce amazing colors and growth, but not break the bank. I am also planning on upgrading in the future so whatever I get now I would like to be able to use on a bigger tank.

Thanks everyone!

Ohhithere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2017, 07:39 PM   #2
stuccodude
Registered Member

i just got the hydra 26 and they are really kool. local fish store runs them and has sps corals and everything else and corals seem happy(thats why i got them). good luck

Current Tank Info: 240 all the goodies,hydra 26 led lights, chiller etc
stuccodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 06:00 AM   #3
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

IMHO the actual light produced by a black box fixture and any other more expensive led fixture will not be appreciably different! At least not to the point that a new fixture will make your coral look better or become more colorful over time. There is way more to coral coloration than just light, and I think light, once there is enough PAR, is a minor player in terms of color and growth.

In other words, I think you may just waste your money buying a more expensive fixture. Others here will disagree, and 99% of them will have more expensive fixtures! It's what happens after you pay a lot of money for a product that's supposed to make something better, but is totally subjective. I spent more, therefore it has to be better. It's human nature and marketing of products is designed to take advantage of that (says the guy who spent most of his career doing just that).

I think getting a fixture with more channels of color control, where every color of led has it's own dimming ability, will allow you to maximize the look of the light in the tank to your liking. But that difference is minimal. Lots of people have beautiful corals under black box 2 channel led fixtures.

And to be completely transparent, I use a Reef Breeders Photon V2 which does have 6 channels of color control. Does it make my corals more colorful? Not really. Sure, if I go more and more blue the corals that fluoresce look better. But under 'normal' daylight type light the look pretty much the same as they did under a 2 channel fixture or under a Eco Tech Radion. I had one for a year and felt it was totally over priced given it did nothing to make my tank look any better. I went to a bigger tank and needed a 2nd fixture and just couldn't justify $750 for a second one.

If money is no object, then go ahead and give it a try. But if the budget is stretched to buy a new fixture, don't waste your money. That's my opinion.

Unread 12/18/2017, 06:19 AM   #4
greengeco82
Reefer

☝️what he said. Light probably wont make your corals look better. The color is most likely in the water chemistry. That being said, the power settings on the light may play a role.

Current Tank Info: 190 gallon DSA mixed reef, 2 X 250W metal halides, 2 X 80w T5's, SRO 3000 skimmer, and a few other goodies under the hood
greengeco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 09:07 PM   #5
Ohhithere
Registered Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I will play around with the settings on my lights to see what looks best, but does anyone know if I get an Aquatic Life Led/T5 Hybrid, can I use just the t5 fixtures?

Unread 12/19/2017, 02:05 PM   #6
rjjr1963
Registered Member

I like AI Primes HD's for smaller tanks. The form is minimalistic and unobtrusive. I don't want a big fixture hanging over the tank. They have a nice cloud based control system that works very well.

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon reef
rjjr1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2017, 09:23 AM   #7
Ohhithere
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjjr1963 View Post
I like AI Primes HD's for smaller tanks. The form is minimalistic and unobtrusive. I don't want a big fixture hanging over the tank. They have a nice cloud based control system that works very well.
Would they have enough power for SPS like Birdsnest?

Unread 12/20/2017, 02:46 PM   #8
Ohhithere
Registered Member

Also i’ve heard of an annoying disco effect the AI Primes have on the sandbed. Do you know f how to get rid of this?

Unread 12/20/2017, 03:38 PM   #9
rjjr1963
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohhithere View Post
Also i’ve heard of an annoying disco effect the AI Primes have on the sandbed. Do you know f how to get rid of this?
They are working great for my SPS, Acropora and Montipora in a 40 gallon breeder. I run the lights about 50% intensity so they could do a lot more if I wanted. Just seems like all the corals are happy at the lower level. I've never noticed any disco effect from them.

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon reef
rjjr1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2017, 06:52 PM   #10
Ohhithere
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjjr1963 View Post
They are working great for my SPS, Acropora and Montipora in a 40 gallon breeder. I run the lights about 50% intensity so they could do a lot more if I wanted. Just seems like all the corals are happy at the lower level. I've never noticed any disco effect from them.
Ok thanks! I’ll definetly look into them, maybe a christmas present form me to me?