Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/08/2006, 07:30 PM   #1
Hal
Registered Member

Black ich: inverts, blennies, and formalin

I've got a yellow tang that looks like it has black ich. There are also 2 nassarius snails in that tank. I'm thinking about plopping the snails into another tank, but wondered if they could carry the black ich with them?

I also have a lawnmower blenny in the same tank. As far as I can tell it doesn't have the black ich, but honestly, who can tell with it's mottled coloration? Should I treat the blenny too?

I'm probably going to do a formalin dip for treatment, but I'm unclear as to how this prevents the fish from getting re-infected after the dip. Anyone know the answer?

Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2006, 07:38 PM   #2
jun_celis
Registered Member

If you have it in the main tank, then the parasite is already in it. It's a good chance that after you do the formallin dip, and put the tang back in the main tank, he might get it again and again. I'm speaking for my personal experience. I had a FO tank once and black ich on my YT. I've treated him several times and put him in the quarantine tank for a few days and without any signs of black ich. Then I put him back in main tank, 2 days later... it's baaaack!

jun_celis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2006, 07:49 PM   #3
Hal
Registered Member

Truth be told, the tang, blenny, and 2 snails are in my QT.

The snails were leftover from when I used the tank as a temporary home while I set up my main tank. I just never bothered to remove them. Shame on me.

All this begs the question though of why won't the tang get re-infected in the QT after the dips? I was planning on leaving him in the QT after the dips to observe if the dips were successful.

Current Tank Info: 250g starphire: 72x28x30, BeanAnimal drain with an oversized non-durso emergency drain, 4 inch DSB, 3x Reefbreeders Value LED fixtures, SWC/MSX 300A skimmer, Geo kalk reactor, 3 Vortechs w/bb, carbon reactor, and a RKL
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2006, 11:34 PM   #4
mikersx02
Registered Member

buy a steralizer for your main tank.

My YT came down with Black Ich, i treated him and he has been back in the main tank for 3 or 4 days now. No ich- no problems.

mikersx02 is offline   Reply With Quote