Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/22/2020, 07:28 PM   #3951
watdachuck
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwill View Post
See now this is what confuses me. How is a skimmer than works fine on a 33G going to do a good job on my 150 fully stocked SPS tank with a ton of fish?
It's all about the size of the pump which determines how much air is getting injected into the skimmer. Also, the type of Venturi in this case.

The pump I was using was overkill and only half the size of the pump I use now in the 160G. I also use the mazzei for even more air.

I guess the tank speaks for itself.

watdachuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2020, 02:42 PM   #3952
Hellsangelbx
Registered Member

Here's for my Vectra x Lifereef owners. How do you feel that this combination does? I spoke with Jeff and told him this is what I wanted to go with. He recommended a MAG since it's set it and forget it. Let me know your thoughts and which size you went with. I want to go with a L1 since you can control the flow speed. I am going to have a 187Gal Tank

Hellsangelbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2020, 04:31 PM   #3953
Member No. 1
Ver. 2.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsangelbx View Post
Here's for my Vectra x Lifereef owners. How do you feel that this combination does? I spoke with Jeff and told him this is what I wanted to go with. He recommended a MAG since it's set it and forget it. Let me know your thoughts and which size you went with. I want to go with a L1 since you can control the flow speed. I am going to have a 187Gal Tank
Apples/Oranges but I’m using a Apex COR20 running 100%. I had 2 left over when I switched return pumps so I used one. Works great. This is on a 120g

Current Tank Info: In the process - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661614
Member No. 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2020, 07:15 PM   #3954
Hellsangelbx
Registered Member

Nice thanks for sharing your experience @member_no._1

Hellsangelbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2020, 09:24 AM   #3955
watdachuck
Registered Member

I use the Vectra M2 on mine running at 90% for my 160G. I only run it lower as I personally see it as a benefit for pump lifespan to not run full. The L1 sounds like overkill as Jeff will tell you the 72" LifeReef runs just fine with 2000 GPH flow.

LifeReef 24" plsu 4" extensions with Mazzei venturi. The venturi runs closed loop through a jumbo CO2 scrubber.

Instagram: MasiniReef

Unread 09/06/2020, 01:28 PM   #3956
galoot
Registered Member

Quick question...

Anyone running a CO2 scrubber with their skimmer? If so, what brand of media and how did you plumb it? Any noticed performance drop in the skimming department?

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

galoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2020, 06:41 AM   #3957
watdachuck
Registered Member

I think I posted about this earlier in the thread but I run my LR skimmer with a BRS jumbo scrubber on a closed loop. I haven't seen much change in skimmer performance, my focus was driving up PH and also keeping it more consistent.

The closed loop extends the media lifespan by at least two weeks in my case which is a lot of $$$ saved over the year.

Unread 09/07/2020, 10:59 AM   #3958
galoot
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watdachuck View Post
I think I posted about this earlier in the thread but I run my LR skimmer with a BRS jumbo scrubber on a closed loop. I haven't seen much change in skimmer performance, my focus was driving up PH and also keeping it more consistent.

The closed loop extends the media lifespan by at least two weeks in my case which is a lot of $$$ saved over the year.
Ok cool. Can you post some pics of your setup? I'm contemplating doing it for the same reasons

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

galoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2020, 04:56 AM   #3959
watdachuck
Registered Member

[QUOTE=galoot;25695583]Ok cool. Can you post some pics of your setup? I'm contemplating doing it for the same reasons

My files are too big to upload here. I posted photos on my blog.

https://masinireef.blogspot.com/2020...tor-media.html

Unread 09/08/2020, 03:05 PM   #3960
sergifed91
Registered Member

does anyone run there airline outside with the lifereef skimmer? if so can I see pictures and how far of a run to the outside? i figured mine would be 7 feet to the top of the ceiling in the basement and then another 3 feet to the outside. and would a airpump be recommended for that distance. I see most people with 20 to 30 feet run with an air pump to get the results. but with the short distance I figured I wouldn't have to get an air pump . plus not really space for an air pump unless if I run 40 feet to a different wall.

sergifed91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2020, 04:05 PM   #3961
crs751
Registered Member

I have mine run outside through a sleeve in the basement wall. Don’t know exactly how far but it’s about 20 feet. No problem with the skimmer or need to add an air pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crs751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2020, 06:17 PM   #3962
sergifed91
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crs751 View Post
I have mine run outside through a sleeve in the basement wall. Don’t know exactly how far but it’s about 20 feet. No problem with the skimmer or need to add an air pump.

what type of results do you get?

sergifed91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2020, 06:19 PM   #3963
crs751
Registered Member

No issues with low ph and the skimmer skims without issues

Unread 09/08/2020, 06:36 PM   #3964
Tcook
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crs751 View Post
No issues with low ph and the skimmer skims without issues

Do you run a larger line like 3/8 or 1/2"?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2020, 06:38 PM   #3965
crs751
Registered Member

No larger line. Just 1/4” like the drain line

Unread 09/20/2020, 08:14 AM   #3966
chiefifd
Registered Member

Hi All;
I had a LifeReef SVS2-24 skimmer for 5 or 6 years now. I recently got in line for a LifeReef CLF2 Sump build (looks like December). Any of you guys running the LifeReef sump with the media reactors? Are you using two pumps or one larger pump to run both the skimmer and media reactors? I'm planning on using one media reactor right now with carbon.
Any photo's how you have this plumbed would be great!
Thanks.....

chiefifd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2020, 09:33 PM   #3967
FlyingFishSKYw
Registered Member

Has anyone run both a GFO reactor and the LifeReef SVS2-24 off one pump?

Can it be done?

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal, H2Overflow, LifeReef VS3-24 Skimmer, 2x Hydra 26, 30 gal diy sump, Apex
FlyingFishSKYw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2020, 09:22 AM   #3968
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

If the pump is big enough. You will need a valve for the GFO reactor as they are slow flow units.

Unread 10/26/2020, 08:38 AM   #3969
Salahunreal
Registered Member

Question for LR simmiker owners
I have an idea to put the skimmer + skimmer pump + return pump in the same chamber. The plan is to have more space for the refuge and that's why thought to ask if having the skimmer in same chamber as return pump, would that be an issue with the macro bubbles? I read few times that there is no marco bubbles issue with lifereef skimmers and based on that, would be there any other issue?

Thanks

Salahunreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2020, 08:48 AM   #3970
chiefifd
Registered Member

I have never observed micro-bubbles associated with my LifeReef Skimmer. I'm not an expert on the topic of sumps and what will and won't work 100% of the time. The LifeReef Skimmer and other skimmers need to be at a stable water level to work properly. If you can achieve this stability with the return pump in the same section as the skimmer. Maybe it's worth trying, you certainly can move the return pump if it doesn't work. You only need to do a little re-plumbing, it's not the end of the world. Just a little more time and effort, maybe it's worth taking a shot.

Unread 10/26/2020, 01:21 PM   #3971
Salahunreal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefifd View Post
I have never observed micro-bubbles associated with my LifeReef Skimmer. I'm not an expert on the topic of sumps and what will and won't work 100% of the time. The LifeReef Skimmer and other skimmers need to be at a stable water level to work properly. If you can achieve this stability with the return pump in the same section as the skimmer. Maybe it's worth trying, you certainly can move the return pump if it doesn't work. You only need to do a little re-plumbing, it's not the end of the world. Just a little more time and effort, maybe it's worth taking a shot.
yeah you made a good point about maintaining the water level in that section. I will check if there is a way to keep the water level steady as much as possible.

Worst case scenario, I added a baffle to the return pump to separate it

Unread 10/27/2020, 05:20 AM   #3972
watdachuck
Registered Member

I think this could be accomplished.

There is a short break in period before you will stop seeing bubbles escaping the skimmer, but then it will be minimal. This can also depend on how large a pump you are using and any surface agitation that may take place at the skimmer outlet.

I have a 90 degree elbow on my outlet shooting the opposite direction of my return pump inlet towards the surface to try and direct as many stragglers as possible away from making it to the display.

Unread 10/27/2020, 06:49 AM   #3973
chiefifd
Registered Member

Good point about adding an elbow or extension to the skimmer outlet. In my current set-up I have my LifeReef Skimmer without any elbows/extension. I'm getting my LifeReef sump soon and may need to add elbows/extension to the outlet.

Unread 10/28/2020, 04:32 PM   #3974
Salahunreal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watdachuck View Post
I think this could be accomplished.

There is a short break in period before you will stop seeing bubbles escaping the skimmer, but then it will be minimal. This can also depend on how large a pump you are using and any surface agitation that may take place at the skimmer outlet.

I have a 90 degree elbow on my outlet shooting the opposite direction of my return pump inlet towards the surface to try and direct as many stragglers as possible away from making it to the display.
That's what I had in mind also and Jeff already sent with the skimmer a 90 degree hose connector so I think I can use to direct the water in the opposite direction. Thanks for the feedback.

One more question, Is it possible to add a 90 elbow to the outlet pointing upward and add like 10 cm pipe then another elbow to go over the baffle and let the water go back to the refuge so in this case, the water from the outlet will not be near the return pump at all.
I think this is not possible since water will go higher than the max water level for the skimmer which is 9 inches I think.

Unread 10/28/2020, 05:03 PM   #3975
chiefifd
Registered Member

Salahunreal, not sure about trying to "lift" water with the Skimmer outlet pressure. I've never heard of anyone doing that or asking about the possibility. You could try it, it's only a little extra "temporary" plumbing. A few pieces of tubing, a PVC fitting or two and see what happens. Might surprise yourself