Macropharyngodon meleagris 78 33.05%
Macropharyngodon negrosensis 29 12.29%
Other 26 11.02%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 01/18/2009, 09:01 PM   #126
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

bluezoo and liveaquaria both have them for sale ,got a credit card ? they will be at your door on tuesday . they are very nice wrasses . very peacefull and awesome reef fish !

Dave

Current Tank Info: 40 freshwater,25saltwater 2000 gallons ,enough tanks for an army ?
iamwrasseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2009, 12:06 AM   #127
Dooly
Registered Member

so it's safe to say that you can have multiple leopards in the same community? I have an ornate leopard as well as a yellow coris and solarensis, but I am looking to add a blue star leopard/potters leopard and mystery wrasse?

especially worried if the mysterys are aggressive at all..

can anyone chime in?

Dooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2009, 07:31 AM   #128
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

yes but the solarensis may be a bit territorial so be careful when adding and also make sure that the mystery is yhe lasy fish in the tank . they also become quite territorial once acclimated to thier surrondings . good luck

Dave

Current Tank Info: 40 freshwater,25saltwater 2000 gallons ,enough tanks for an army ?
Unread 01/29/2009, 12:29 AM   #129
gkaquatic
Registered Member

just got a leopard wrasse two days ago for free from my local fish store. i was given him because they got it on accident and they said they havnt been able to keep one alive. i know going in that my chances of keeping him are slim. i put it in my 10g tank that ive had up for almost 3 months with a Harleqin shrimp in it after a 1 hour aclimation. he seemed to be fine. swam around all day checking out the tank until the light went out. yesturday i turned on the light and he was no where to be found. im figuring he has burrowed under the sand and is scared to come out. he didnt come out all day. hopfully he comes out today. ill keep things updated if he comes out. not sure what kind he is yet. ill take some pics later.

gkaquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2009, 04:11 PM   #130
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

first ,dont push the issue of him coming out . they may stay out of sight for a week or more sometimes before coming out when your around . what colors and design on the side of him ?

Dave

Unread 02/01/2009, 09:13 PM   #131
anydarnthing
Registered Member

I got one at of all places Petco, I have had her for 2 and half years now. She is a Macropharyngodon meleagris I temperature acclimated and since my salinity was the same I just put her in. I had her eating from the minute I put her in the tank with some mysis, she will eat pellet, mysis, krill, and I have seen her eat some nori. This was my first leopard wrasse now I'm looking for a male for her.

Current Tank Info: 240gal softy Reef, 220gal Reef, 29gal Nano reef, 75gal holding tank, H&S A200 3xF2001 & A250 2x1260, 2x 72" Current Orbit 250W MH actinic T5's. Geo Calcium Rx.
anydarnthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2009, 09:35 PM   #132
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

Wow!

Unread 02/02/2009, 10:56 PM   #133
bradleyj
Reefkeeping Mag Staff

Although I ve kept tamarins, both yellow and red tail for over 2 yrs now. I was unsuccessful with leopards twice. But then a friend was tearing her tank down and asked if I could take her potters .
I have now had the potters for over 6 months now and is happy as ever.

Current Tank Info: 335g Leemar
bradleyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2009, 06:00 PM   #134
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

so she's at 2 months today at home. Here's some pics:

pic from 2 months ago:

Unread 02/12/2009, 10:23 PM   #135
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

choati leopard wrasse opps !

finally found my mysteriously tough to find choati leopard wrasse at BLUE ZOO but what happened to the price ?wow ,the day before they were for sale the price was $150 now once they have them its $250 what gives i have missed out many time only to find out that they cost $50 to $100 each but $250 is just a little insane unless they guarentee which they dont .just venting a bit cause i want a few real bad and they dont appear very often ,seems like i'm always a smidgen late but now they have them and i need to get my printer out to make some $100 bills lol ,think i will wait till some are a little more reasonably priced .

Unread 02/15/2009, 01:30 PM   #136
flameangel88
Registered Member

I got two on Friday and I think one is male and the other is female but I may be wrong. They get along while in the holding tank at the lfs and one has more blue on the body.

If everything goes right they will be in the 125g in 8-10 weeks. After going into the AP 24 only one has come out and it picks pods off the glass and worms off the rocks. It will go back into the sand with just the head sticking out but I don't know where they sleep yet as I've too much rocks covering the tank. I hope the other one will come out soon. They are the only fish in there and rocks are almost 4 yrs old.

Couple of pictures of the one that came out

flameangel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2009, 01:35 PM   #137
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

definatly pretty fish there ,nice catch !

Dave

Unread 02/15/2009, 02:55 PM   #138
flameangel88
Registered Member

Thanks iamwrasseman.

Good thing I have a can of freeze dried cyclopeeze at home and after feeding a little bit the other wrasse came out. I don't think they touched any but the smell sure woke the other one up. I hope someone can ID which one is the male or female or they're of the same sex. TIA.

Unread 02/15/2009, 04:24 PM   #139
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

heres what info i have i am color blind so its best for you to decide .``young and females light green with brown to black spots .males reddish to green with irridecent dark green dpots on the body and lines on the head .a dark "earspot"with some yellow coloration. i think most start out as females then morph into males .

Dave

Unread 02/15/2009, 04:57 PM   #140
flameangel88
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by iamwrasseman
heres what info i have i am color blind so its best for you to decide .``young and females light green with brown to black spots .males reddish to green with irridecent dark green dpots on the body and lines on the head .a dark "earspot"with some yellow coloration. i think most start out as females then morph into males .
Sorry, I meant to say comparing the pictures from both post as the 2 pictures from the last post is from the same fish.

After looking at the the pictures I don't see any green (at least I don't think there's any green). The only difference I can tell is that the slightly larger fish has a shade of blue over the white and more yellow on the anal fin.

Here's the two

Unread 02/15/2009, 05:02 PM   #141
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

o ok did you know that the fish will turn blue as an adult?

Dave

Unread 02/15/2009, 05:31 PM   #142
flameangel88
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by iamwrasseman
o ok did you know that the fish will turn blue as an adult?
I read somewhere (it may be in this thread) the fish will have blue but didn't know how much. That explains the larger fish with more blue.

I'm new to wrasse (3 months) and the first wrasse was a Flame Wrasse. After reading the Scott Michael's new book Wrasses and Parrotfishes book it got me more interested in wrasse. So, here I'm going in head first. Thanks for all the help.

Unread 02/15/2009, 05:37 PM   #143
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

awesome wrasses are the best IMO .if your interested in a good ID book "Fairy & Rainbow Wrasses and their relatives" by Rudie H Kuiter . mmany many pictures of baby to sub to adult of at least 100 wrasses ,not a great amount of info but it has alot of id pics as i stated.

Dave

Unread 02/15/2009, 05:40 PM   #144
flameangel88
Registered Member

Thanks...I'll check that out.

Unread 02/15/2009, 05:46 PM   #145
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

flameangel88 do you have your tank covered ? most wrasses are leapers so be aware of that when you purchase them .they will jump through the smallest of hoops ! leopards are not really leapers but the flasher and fairy wrasses are notorious for leaping to their death !

Dave

Unread 02/15/2009, 05:50 PM   #146
flameangel88
Registered Member

Yes, I've all the tanks covered and thanks for the heads up. Lost a few gobies and clowns in my early days to learn to cover.

Unread 02/15/2009, 06:25 PM   #147
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

cool good luck!

Dave

Unread 02/15/2009, 07:42 PM   #148
Troy the Nomad
Laissez LeBonTempsRouler!

Question to those of you with multiple leopards, do you think that having more than one helps to make them more comfortable and less skittish? Mine still hides behind rocks every time I approach the tank. I'm sort of passively looking for more leopards, and wondering if I should become more serious about it. Thanks.

Current Tank Info: 55g reef, lps, softies and some sps. 24g JBJ reef, letting the RBTA's take over
Troy the Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2009, 08:18 PM   #149
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

i have many leopards together now and only one problem .one tank has 5 bluestar leopards and its fine .one has a few leopards and some other tamrin, flashers, and fairys ,that tank is fine too.i have one adult splendin leopard wrasse that is real aggresive twards any new fish that i introduce to the tank . he will not let me put anything into that tank and he is my favorite fish too so he gets the tank .there are 7 other wrasses in that tank but i have tried 3 or 4 times to add ,and it isnt gonna happen he just harrasses them till i remove them .so yes for the most part i would agree that you would have no problems at all adding another leopard wrasse . good luck

Dave

Unread 02/17/2009, 09:47 AM   #150
Madfronter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Madfronter
Here's a picture of my new 3" Vermiculite Leopard Wrasse I picked up last friday. I did not QT, and a few hours after introducing it to my system it was eating frozen brine, mysis and cyclops. It seems to be eating flakes and small pellets as well. Seems to be a very peaceful fish that is not shy at all. I saw it digging in the sand when the lights went out monday night. It seems to go to bed early and wake up late.

A little update on mine. It was about 9 or 9:30 PM last night when I noticed that she was still awake. She usually goes to bed around 8-8:30 PM, but not last night. Not sure why. So my lights turn off at 10 PM and I heard a little splash and a knock on the light housing, so I walk over to my tank and there she is on her side gasping for air on a towel next to the tank. I immediately placed her back in the tank with the actinics back on so she can see. She was acting normal when I placed her back into the tank and she seemed to find a place to sleep for the evening. I think its time to make a wrasse proof top for my tank.

Madfronter is offline   Reply With Quote