Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/06/2017, 04:55 PM   #1
Silly clownfish
Registered Member

Encrusting coral (spongodes) encroaching on clam

I have had my maxima for ayear and a half or so, i it has been starting to look unhappy. I believe that the issue is a spongodes which has bridged the gap between the rock it was on and the one the clam is on and is now growing against the foot of the clam. What can I do to save my clam?

The spongodes has attached 3 large base rocks in my tank and I can't just break off pieces to achieve my goal. I am also afraid that using force to try to remove the spongodes will injure the clam. I know that some folks use kalkwasser paster to kill off oarts of encrusting corals. This could be an option, but again I am worried about damaging the foot of the clam.

Another thought is utting something like a strip of black plastic on the spongodes around the clam to starve the border of the spongodes of light so it will slowly die in the area of the clam.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Yes, I know I should have been more diligent and stopped the spongodes before they grew that much. But it is too late for that.

Kim

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef, 20g sump, ocelaris clownfish (20+yrs old), flame hawk, one spot foxface rabbitfish, green mandarin, Bicolor Blenny, Coral Beauty;30g sumpless with Spotcinctus pair
Silly clownfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 10:02 PM   #2
jccaclimber
Registered Member

I'm mostly tagging along to hear the other suggestions. I've used kalk paste to knock back star polyps, so I'm sure it will kill of a monti in short order. If it were me:

1) Take a knife and scrape away at the monti skeleton you can get to easily.
2) Cover in either a layer of reef putty/epoxy, or with the flow off a layer of kalk paste through a syringe with a large opening, or very large needle.
3) If kalk paste, wait 10 or so minutes, suck it all off (or blow away), then turn the flow back on. If you're nervous do a little, then creep closer over time. I doubt it will be hard to kill the monti.

jccaclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2017, 09:13 AM   #3
mal7887
Registered Member

The good news is that spongodes isn't aggressive.... The bad news is that when it's happy, this S--- grows like crazy overtaking anything in its path! I have a similar problem with it growing over everything and have found that physically removing it with a knife or screwdriver works best. If it were me I would worry about using chemicals in high concentration close to the Maxima... Might not be an issue, but if it were me I wouldn't risk it.

Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.

Current Tank Info: 190
mal7887 is offline   Reply With Quote