Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/07/2018, 06:39 AM   #1
Superperson
Registered Member

New LED Lighting and Coral Reaction

Hi everyone,

I just upgraded my lights to the Steve's LED with a mix of royal blue, violet, and white. I'm very happy to have it all up and running! Now I have noticed some corals already reacting to the new lighting. The lights are begin kept and the lower settings per the instructions for acclimating coral but I have noticed my dear old frogspawn acting quite funny. Now during the day lights its acting fairly normal, its a little retracted but nothing alarming. It's when the lights start ramping down or up that it shrinks up like a prune! I'm not sure why the slow change in intensity would cause this so I thought I would ask all the knowledgeable folk here.
I could move the coral as hes not glued down but since its okay during daylight i'm not sure if that would help.
Thankyou guys/gals!

Superperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2018, 08:15 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

It is quite common for corals to open and close in response to light..
They open up to expand their tissue to attempt to take in as much light as possible so that the beneficial algae inside them can gather energy from the light and feed the corals..

That expansion requires energy.. Once they see that the light is reducing then they make a decision to close up to save energy as staying open would be inefficient as the algae is no longer benefiting from the light as it was..

Welcome to Nature... Enjoy..

Tags
coral, retracted, steve's leds