Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/03/2019, 07:28 PM   #1
Elijahh
Registered Member

Tank upgrade

Hi all, so next month I’m going to be upgrading tanks from a 150L to a 250L.
The new tank is a RSR250 and will be going in the same place as the old tank, I also want to add more dry rock to the new tank.
With the bio blocks I currently have, do I get new blocks for the new tank or do I transfer the old ones over?
Also I want to put new sand into the tank and not use any of the old stuff, Will this be ok?
My thoughts on it all are to first move the old tank to other side of room and setup the new tank in position, then fill it with fresh salt water and matching salinity while testing it for leaks and get it up to temp.
Put all my corals, rock and fish from old tank into buckets using old water, drain about 100L of the new tank salt into drums for holding and transfer 100L of the old tank water into the new tank.
Then I’ll add old and new rock into the new tank and scape it, and let it run for a bit.
I’ll Add corals and fish, skimmer and let it run, lights will be added and I’ll eventually add new sand slowly.
Does this sound about right? I’ve never done a tank transfer so I’m not 100% sure how it will go, I just don’t want to stress out any fish or lose any corals.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elijahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2019, 06:02 AM   #2
Bpb
Registered Member

Your number one priority should be to ensure you have something in place to keep all corals and fish happy for a day or two. Not saying it will take 2 days to transfer tank, but having done this a number of times, plan for it to take at least twice as long as you expect. Start early and cancel everything else for the day.

When I went from my 55 gallon to my 90 gallon it took from 6pm to 2 am when I finally called it quits. Granted I was working alone. I didn’t even get the fish in the tank at that point. I had a 30 gallon storage tote I put a heater, powerhead, several rocks, and all of the fish in over night. Next morning after the new tank was clear I put the fish and remaining rocks in.

No fish losses and all of my soft corals and lps survived but I lost every sps I had, including the “invasive” level growing montipora I had at the time.

What is helpful is to try to have tested your new tank entirely before setting up. I had mine actually running as a normal tank out in the garage with tap water. That way I had all the plumbing figured out with zero leaks and it made for a faster assembly.

What ends up taking the most time was getting all the sand out of the old tank so it could actually be lifted. 2” of wet sand holding 10 gallons of water, plus all the glass makes for a heavy tank. Since I was alone I had to get ALL of it out or I didn’t have a prayer lifting the tank by myself. And I’m a reasonably fit and healthy person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2019, 08:04 AM   #3
RioReefr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijahh View Post
I’ll Add corals and fish, skimmer and let it run, lights will be added and I’ll eventually add new sand slowly.
Does this sound about right?
I have had to move my tank 3 times (including changing out the substrate sand). IMO, you should add the fish back in LAST, after you had added the sand and use one of those clarifiers. Your new substrate sand should include a packet and definitely use it, but if not then something like:

Sand Clarifier:
https://www.amazon.com/CaribSea-Aqua.../dp/B001F95N9S

Also, your fish will need to be able to breath in those holding buckets so get yourself a cheap aerator like something this:

Aerator:
https://www.amazon.com/Uniclife-Aqua...s%2C280&sr=1-8

I would be in favor of you getting rid of all old substrate, but keeping all your bio-media. If you are worried about getting an ammonia spike which I think you will probably will, then get one of those bacteria in a bottle. They are cheap and effective.
Nitrifying Bacteria:
https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Ocean...s%2C267&sr=1-1

As the "Bpb" says..."Start early and cancel everything else for the day.".
Its no small endeavor and something will go wrong, just have some time if you need to run out to a store to get something.
Take advantage of the sunlight hours. Wires, plumbing, pieces/parts, etc. Something important is bound to fall on the floor, roll and not easy to find. Nothing more frustrating trying to find a clamp or screw, etc. and wasting time trying to find it. If you are married, have children, a dog -- get them all out of the house that day.

RioReefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2019, 08:26 AM   #4
Bpb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioReefr View Post
If you are married, have children, a dog -- get them all out of the house that day.

Yes! This. This is part of the reason I haven’t even started thinking about my own 90 to 150 gallon upgrade. I’ll have to find a day my wife works and can dump the kids at my in-laws all day. Nothing worst than a 2 and a 4 year old stumbling around at your feet and running off with this and that while you’re cussing at your plumbing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2019, 02:20 AM   #5
Elijahh
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies.
I plan on doing it over a weekend so I’ll make sure my young fella is pre occupied with my mrs
So should I full the new tank with fresh salt and new sand to test it etc, then drain half of it out and then top it up with the old tank water?
I’ll transfer my old bio blocks and skimmer and slowly add old and new rock then coral. Fish will go in last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 04/15/2019, 09:50 PM   #6
Elijahh
Registered Member

Ok, so here is the plan!
Fill new tank with new salt and sand, bring it up to same salinity and temp as old tank.
Transfer bio blocks and skimmer over, add rock (only 20kg) from the old tank to new.
Let it run for a couple hours then test, I shouldn't get a cycle so I'll add corals and let it run in some more.
Once settled i'll put fish in.
Empty old tank water and sand out, clean it and sell it.
Done!