Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/13/2014, 03:59 PM   #1
dward0487
Registered Member

Sump Baffle Question

So, I recently installed the sump section into my glass AIO tank, and running a bead along the acrylic baffle edges was tough because of the tight space I was working in. Using painter's tape in these 1.5" gaps was pretty much impossible, so they look pretty messy... I'm waiting for the adhesive to cure, and then I will leak-test it. Hopefully everything will be good to go. Here's my question:

If I DO have any small leaks in the baffles, will these really matter? My sump setup consists of two "under-over-under" baffle sets, so I have 2 baffles that will be regulating the water level in the sump sections. I'm assuming that small leaks are acceptable, since the flow through the sump should be far greater than the rate of any leaks, which would keep the water level steady while the return pump is running. Is that correct? I'd like a few opinions on this. Thanks!

dward0487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2014, 04:04 PM   #2
planedoc
Registered Member

You are correct, it really does not matter. One thing with acrylic, glass, and silicone is silicone does not bond to acrylic very good. It's best to run a good sized bead on the glass that will prevent the acrylic from moving. It bonds a little but a seam only seal will most likely fail. The bead bonded to the glass will prevent the acrylic baffle from moving

planedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2014, 04:11 PM   #3
dward0487
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planedoc View Post
One thing with acrylic, glass, and silicone is silicone does not bond to acrylic very good.
Thanks for the quick reply! Actually, since I knew that silicone doesn't work all that well for acrylic, I used an adhesive called E6100 that is supposed to work well for bonding acrylic and glass. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough room to run a bead along the actual edge of the acrylic baffles before installing them due to the tight clearance, so I ran beads down the sides and "pushed" them into the gap as best I could. The baffles definitely won't be moving, but I'm not sure how good the coverage is on those seams... I hope it all works out!

Unread 07/13/2014, 08:41 PM   #4
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Since the baffles don't have to be completely water tight, they just have to not fall over, I have found it acceptable to use even silicone sealant for the job. The bigger problem, is making sure you cut the acrylic baffles slightly short because they will expand. Cracked a sump this way.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2014, 04:11 PM   #5
dward0487
Registered Member

Yeah, I used toothpicks to keep a gap between the baffles and the glass when I was installing them. Hopefully that's enough room.

Unread 07/14/2014, 04:25 PM   #6
planedoc
Registered Member

Sounds like ad job well done

planedoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acrylic, baffle, glass, leak, sump