Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/29/2014, 08:32 PM   #1
areskasparian
Registered Member

Exclamation what do i need for a sump build

hey guys i posted earlier today asking what brand sump should i get but i got the responds of building it my self and i looked online and it looks fairly easy. so my question right now is what would i need? my friend is giving me a 30 gallon tank that im gonna use for my 150g tank. now my 150 g tank doesnt have a overflow box or anything so is there a good brand (thats not expensive) and also what return pump should i buy to use? and is there anything else that i would need for the sump? please feel free to give your input im fairly new to the hobby.

thanks for the responses in advance

areskasparian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2014, 08:43 PM   #2
James77
Registered Member

A few panes of 1/4" glass cut to the width of the tank and height you want the baffles at. Some aquarium silicone(GE silicone is fine for a sump). Some wood blocks or other means to hold glass up if you are making baffles that have a space at the bottom.

Measure the width of the tank closely, and knock off an 1/4" so it will fit sideways. Take it from me, I have had too many crooked baffles because I was too conservative knocking off some for that . It is only a sump baffle, you are better off too short than too wide...the silicone will hold it in place. It is only a sump baffle, not a tank.

For the overflow, glass holes(search the site, they censor it because it is close to a curse) sells some kits...or you can make your own from glass. Search this site for "coast to coast overflow" or "Beananimal overflow" to see some ideas.

Take your time and really think it out.

Current Tank Info: 120g Mixed Reef and 75g Freshwater
James77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build, diy, reef, refugium, sump