Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/03/2015, 05:43 PM   #51
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm5406 View Post
I am courious. As this is going to be on the same floor as the tank,
Hi,

yes. the tank and the filtration are in the same floor. We are not planning on having any issues with flow but if it doesnt work out, there is a back up plan to place a pump under the tank to pump water to the filtration room and then put pumps in the filtration room to pump the water back. Im confident that we wont have to do that as that would defeat the purpose of keeping the tank area quiet. Regardless, all good plans must be amended if need be and we have planned for enough flexibility in case of issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_CoupleClowns View Post
Wow this is going to be radical!

I bet you are excited LOL!
Thank you very much. Im very excited. I hope to showcase everyone here a beautiful tank in a few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_CoupleClowns View Post
Possibly a burst of compressed air to blow it out like a potato cannon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicboom View Post
Also add canister filters to the list of items no longer used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy69 View Post
My god I wish I made money!!! haha.

Tagging along! Looks fantastic, though I would have the same concerns as worm in regards to the long pipe runs. Hopefully you have thought it all through and everything works out as planned.
Im fortunate to have a great wife who is interested in the project as well and fortunate enough to have the funds set aside to do this. We have done plenty of thinking but Im sure we will need to modify when it comes time to do the actual install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankreef View Post
Looking sweet. Sick house. Keep updates of house coming.
Updates of the house or the tank? lol. Thank you. We spent the last two years planning the home. Its gratifying to see it go up. I appreciate your kind words.

Socaltoaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2015, 08:59 AM   #52
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Here are a few more photos. At this point the framing is done. The ductwork for AC units is complete in the whole house. The electrical fixtures have been put in, wiring goes in next. I have to do the low voltage (alarm, speakers etc) next week. Then plumbing, fire sprinklers and insulation. My builder tells me that we should be starting drywall in about 5 weeks. Once the dry wall is in, the steel stand will go into place and after all the paint and internal work is done, then the tank goes in and finally after the tank comes in, the cabinet guys come and build the cabinetry above and below the tank.

So here is the view currently from the family room with a close up of the fish tank location. The bar is going to be on the other side. The pipes are all there, ready to receive the plumbing for the tank.

And here is the view from the bar to the kitchen. The kitchen has a barreled brick ceiling with unobstructed views of the tank.

We built a private courtyard off the bar with a fireplace where you could sit and view the tank.

I had them put in some ventilation so that any humidity from the tank could be pulled out to the outside air. We will have some ventilation fans installed. What you see is the duct work.

Here we are looking up into the hood to see the duct work that will act as an air exchange.

Unread 02/04/2015, 09:20 AM   #53
dave.m
Registered Member

Given the setting, I would have gone for a bigger tank.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2015, 09:22 AM   #54
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
Given the setting, I would have gone for a bigger tank.

Dave.M

I was fortunate that my wife agreed to 1000 gallons. I don't want to push my luck further.

Unread 02/04/2015, 09:30 AM   #55
Haab
Registered Member

Well done so far

Haab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2015, 08:56 AM   #56
daplatapus
Registered Member

Definitely a good call on the large doors on the fish room. And I can totally see why you wanted to keep it 3 feet once you pointed out the window there. With 20' long you should be able to position everything nicely with room to service and such. Looks like a nice clean work site. Everything looks great. Good call on the ventilation above the tank as well. Everything looks like it's coming along nicely. This next few weeks will seem like not much is getting done. Visually, it seems like this point takes forever (getting all the electrical, plumbing etc done).

Current Tank Info: 80 gal display 48L X 24H X16D, 2 MP-40's, Odyssea 2-250W MH 4-HO T-5 Actinic's, 80 lbs Aragonite sand, 4 - 150W titanium heaters, Reeflo Baracuda return pump, 150gal sump, Filter Guys Reef Miser 6 stage + 1 Dual RO/DI, LifeReef 48" Skimmer
daplatapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2015, 04:00 PM   #57
k4ndyk1ng
Registered Member

This tank is going to be fantastic, following along

Current Tank Info: The Plate Garden 60g http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2474978
k4ndyk1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2015, 07:28 PM   #58
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haab View Post
Well done so far
Thank you Haab. Looking forward to sharing the progress.

Unread 02/05/2015, 07:30 PM   #59
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
Definitely a good call on the large doors on the fish room. And I can totally see why you wanted to keep it 3 feet once you pointed out the window there. With 20' long you should be able to position everything nicely with room to service and such. Looks like a nice clean work site. Everything looks great. Good call on the ventilation above the tank as well. Everything looks like it's coming along nicely. This next few weeks will seem like not much is getting done. Visually, it seems like this point takes forever (getting all the electrical, plumbing etc done).

Thank you. The fish room if I was to do it again would be differnt. However, I think we made the best out of a compromised situation. The days are going by way too slowly as I want this house and build to be done yesterday. We are in temporary housing and th entire family is anxious to move into the new digs.

Unread 02/05/2015, 07:30 PM   #60
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4ndyk1ng View Post
This tank is going to be fantastic, following along
Thank you very much for following our progress.

Unread 02/05/2015, 07:33 PM   #61
rfgonzo
Registered Member

tag

75 gal Brazilian Dragon Mor
rfgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2015, 07:37 PM   #62
butters417
Registered Member

Following along

butters417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2015, 10:29 PM   #63
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfgonzo View Post
tag
Thank you for tagging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by butters417 View Post
Following along
Appreciate you following along. I'll do my best to keep updating pictures as the build progresses.

Unread 02/06/2015, 12:23 PM   #64
AirForceAquariu
Registered Member

I'm gunna hang out here since you are living a dream of mine! Someday...

70 gal w/ 15 gal sump. 1 flame wrasse, 2 a. occelaris, 1 Bangaii Cardinal, 1 midas blenny, assorted CUC, 1 brittle star.

Current Tank Info: 70g 20g sump. 1 Flame Wrasse, 2 A. Occelaris, 1 Bangaii Cardinals, 1 Midas Blenny
AirForceAquariu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2015, 01:02 PM   #65
blutang007
Registered Member

Wow dream house. Subscribed. Please more pics.......

blutang007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2015, 01:26 PM   #66
SCreeferGuy
Registered Member

Subscribed as well - looks like the tank and house will be amazing!

Occupants: Rock...bacteria...fish...still working on it!
SCreeferGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2015, 05:24 PM   #67
catalina52
Registered Member

Wow, Looking Good!

We just got done quoting a very similar project a couple hours ago.

126x42x48 room dividing reef with a 71' run to an outdoor 10'x10' aquarium filtration room.

By the way, I completely agree with the previous posts, ditch the wet dry trickle filter unless you plan on going with a fish only system with a high bioload.

catalina52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2015, 09:53 PM   #68
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceAquariu View Post
I'm gunna hang out here since you are living a dream of mine! Someday...
Thank you. I certainly feel blessed to be able to provide a great home for my family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutang007 View Post
Wow dream house. Subscribed. Please more pics.......
Ill do my best. At this point we are in limbo as we wait for the guts of the house to go in. AC venting is done. Electrical and plumbing start monday. Then fire sprinklers and low voltage (speaker wires and alarm wires) and finally insulation. Im told drywall will begin in about 5-6 weeks. Too long if you ask me. - In the meanwhile, the tank stand is being fabricated and will be delivered in about 2 weeks. We are going to put that in place and get it situated. Tank itself goes in after drywall and paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCreeferGuy View Post
Subscribed as well - looks like the tank and house will be amazing!
Thank you for following along. I too hope the home and tank will be amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalina52 View Post
Wow, Looking Good!

We just got done quoting a very similar project a couple hours ago.

126x42x48 room dividing reef with a 71' run to an outdoor 10'x10' aquarium filtration room.

By the way, I completely agree with the previous posts, ditch the wet dry trickle filter unless you plan on going with a fish only system with a high bioload.

Sounds like a great project. With regards to the wet dry, we are planning on doing a fish only tank- no corals. As much as i love to see a gorgeous reef tank, its a ton of work beyond my capabilities. If you have alternative suggestions to the wet dry, Id be happy to consider as there is always room for improvement in our current plan.

Unread 02/07/2015, 12:02 AM   #69
scubadan206
Registered Member

You've got a pretty bad case of TMM.... Nothing wrong with that.... I know a few guys like this too. They usually go for things that go VROOOOOOOMMMMM!!!!!
Road America, Pebble Beach, that sort of thing.
Good friend of ours did a "restomod" for the president of [insert name for total house generator company, here].
From your renderings it looks like you will have an impressive collection in your garage. Would you care to share some pics?
Will be an awesome tank for sure. You will love it, although I doubt you will be able to keep it fish only forever.

Daniel.

scubadan206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2015, 09:20 AM   #70
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadan206 View Post
You've got a pretty bad case of TMM.... Nothing wrong with that.... I know a few guys like this too. They usually go for things that go VROOOOOOOMMMMM!!!!!
Road America, Pebble Beach, that sort of thing.
Good friend of ours did a "restomod" for the president of [insert name for total house generator company, here].
From your renderings it looks like you will have an impressive collection in your garage. Would you care to share some pics?
Will be an awesome tank for sure. You will love it, although I doubt you will be able to keep it fish only forever.

Daniel.
Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the note. I do like things that go vroom but Im fickle with cars and get bored easily so I try not to waste too much money on them as they always lose value.

With regards to TMM- no matter what your income level, there is always someone out there making more money so TMM is a relative term.

Im looking forward to posting more photos as the build progresses. Thanks for following along.

Unread 02/08/2015, 09:40 AM   #71
hoooop54
reefin up north

Exciting build! I can't wait to see it come along.

Unread 02/08/2015, 10:26 AM   #72
stinkyreef
Registered Member

Thats just plain crazy. In a good way! Can't wait for the progress pics!

stinkyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2015, 01:29 PM   #73
Zack33
Registered Member

Can't wait to see this progress!

Zack33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2015, 09:51 AM   #74
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Lovely- looks like my photos that I uploaded are no longer showing. My apologies folks. Ill find another hosting solution and get those photos uploaded again. Sorry about that.

Unread 02/12/2015, 10:15 AM   #75
Mishri
Registered Member

I would have ran the Pex inside of conduit so you can add/remove pex as needed incase of breakage, or if you needed more flow, oversize the conduit. A little late now though I guess... unless you want to bore it and re-do it

Looking forward to being able to see the rest of the pics.

Mishri is offline   Reply With Quote