Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/18/2020, 06:17 PM   #1
bullsbears55
Registered Member

RO/DI system issue

I'm having an issue with my RO/DI. I changed all the filters and everything was fine. Then I replaced all the fittings to be quick release couplers. All of a sudden water is shooting out of my waste line like a garden hose and runs constantly. With nothing coming out of my auto top off line. I put all the old fittings back on and it's still doing the same. I replaced the RO membrane and check valves and still the same. I took it all a part and put it back together and still the same. Anyone have an idea on what happened? thanks

bullsbears55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2020, 11:33 PM   #2
Opus123
Registered Member

Sounds like you lost your flow restrictor or messed it up some how when you changed out the fittings. I'm not sure what kind you have. It can be the kind that fits inside the tubing that goes into waste out side of the ro membrane or you could have the inline kind.

Opus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2020, 05:44 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

^^ yep sounds like the restrictor is gone.

Unread 02/19/2020, 06:22 AM   #4
wcharon
Registered Member

I have a similar issue and don't want to hijack but prefer to not do a new thread.

I have a Kent Marine HI-S Maxxima 60GPD RO unit for several years and have been working great. I change all my filters annually at December. I also decided to buy a Booster as my income PSI is around 40.

After i changed all my filters and installed the Booster and set it to 85PSI my product water has decreased a lot so i was told to replace the flow restrictor and i bought the 35 - 50gpd. After installation everything was equal so i bought another restrictor, this time 75GPD. It is producing a little better but also increased the waste water but still not product water as before.

I have 2 questions and any advise will be appreciated:

1. Is the Booster at 85PSI to much for the 60GPD Membrane?
2. If i match the Flow Restrictor with the Membrane which is better to use the underated or the overrated?

Thanks in advance...

Current Tank Info: 125 Gal. Reef, Chiller 1/4, Skimmer SRO SSS-1000 (Old), Aquamaxx EM-200, Aqua C UV, Actinic ReefBrites, Kore 5th. Doser, APEX Full
wcharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2020, 09:31 AM   #5
bullsbears55
Registered Member

That was the issue. Thanks! Been googling for two days and found no answers. Glad I posted this before I bought a whole new system.

bullsbears55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2020, 10:43 AM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcharon View Post

2. If i match the Flow Restrictor with the Membrane which is better to use the underated or the overrated?
1. No
2. You can go a little oversized on the restrictor if you want..
See here for more info..
http://www.purewaterproducts.com/art...ow-restrictors

You should come back with absolute numbers if you want better information.. Tell us that your system is producing 4 gallons of waste for 1 gallon of good water not non-specific numbers like less/more/better/worse....
You should be getting a 4:1 ratio typically..
Also state your incoming water TDS

Unread 02/19/2020, 10:52 AM   #7
Opus123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcharon View Post
I have a similar issue and don't want to hijack but prefer to not do a new thread.

I have a Kent Marine HI-S Maxxima 60GPD RO unit for several years and have been working great. I change all my filters annually at December. I also decided to buy a Booster as my income PSI is around 40.

After i changed all my filters and installed the Booster and set it to 85PSI my product water has decreased a lot so i was told to replace the flow restrictor and i bought the 35 - 50gpd. After installation everything was equal so i bought another restrictor, this time 75GPD. It is producing a little better but also increased the waste water but still not product water as before.

Thanks in advance...
Can you post a link to the flow restrictors you have?

Opus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2020, 11:08 AM   #8
wcharon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
1. No
2. You can go a little oversized on the restrictor if you want..
See here for more info..
http://www.purewaterproducts.com/art...ow-restrictors

You should come back with absolute numbers if you want better information.. Tell us that your system is producing 4 gallons of waste for 1 gallon of good water not non-specific numbers like less/more/better/worse....
You should be getting a 4:1 ratio typically..
Also state your incoming water TDS
Thanks @mcgyvr... I will do that when i get home.

Current Tank Info: 125 Gal. Reef, Chiller 1/4, Skimmer SRO SSS-1000 (Old), Aquamaxx EM-200, Aqua C UV, Actinic ReefBrites, Kore 5th. Doser, APEX Full
Unread 02/19/2020, 11:16 AM   #9
wcharon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus123 View Post
Can you post a link to the flow restrictors you have?
Yes.

https://www.buckeyehydro.com/capilla...w-restrictors/