Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/23/2019, 08:28 AM   #1
dawgs
Registered Member

Crazy RO/DI question

I no longer have a aquarium set up but I do still have my ro/di system. Its a 5 stage system. Im assuming all systems have the water intake....then good water tube and waste water tube.

Can I convert this system for drinking water? Obviously the good water will be the drinking water but How do I eliminate the waste tube water?

Thanks

dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2019, 12:23 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

To convert a RO/DI system to a drinking water system you would typically remove the DI stage (most will not like the "uber clean" lack of taste associated with DI water).
Then add a pressure tank so that you have sufficient storage/pressure to fill a glass or whatever you intend to use it for quickly (remember the output of RO/DI is very slow)..Then you add a drinking faucet on the output of the RO membrane/storage tank.

You will still have waste water as its something that a RO membrane requires for its proper function.

If you wanted just taste/sediment filtration then you could also just ditch the RO membrane and only utilize the sediment and carbon blocks for your water filtration system..
This would negate the need for a pressure tank as well as eliminate the need for a "waste" water line.. However your water will not be removed of the incoming "TDS" that the RO membrane filters out and would just have sediment (sand,etc.) and some chlorine taste removed from it. It would still contain all of the phosphates/nitrates/silicates and many more solids that the RO membrane removes..

Unread 09/23/2019, 12:41 PM   #3
dawgs
Registered Member

Wow. Thanks for that information. Very informative

Unread 09/23/2019, 01:14 PM   #4
dawgs
Registered Member

so what do i eliminate to get rid of the waste water tube and hook it directly to a faucet to use for drinking?

Im trying to post a picture of the system but i dont know how to lol

Last edited by dawgs; 09/23/2019 at 01:14 PM. Reason: mistake
Unread 09/23/2019, 01:23 PM   #5
dawgs
Registered Member

i can describe it lol i have 4 vertical clear cylinder filters and 1 horizontal white cylinder filter

Unread 09/23/2019, 03:19 PM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
i can describe it lol i have 4 vertical clear cylinder filters and 1 horizontal white cylinder filter
You remove the ro membrane (likely the horizontal cylinder) and anything after it.
You keep the prefilters before it and just run that output to a faucet or whatever..