Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/26/2015, 10:08 AM   #1
emcmilla
Registered Member

Long-Distance Move of Reef Aquarium

I thought I would write a post about my experience moving my reef tank long distance since there seemed to be little information or suggestions about how to complete such a task.

Before making the 9.5 hour trip, I sought out the least stressful, expensive and efficient method of moving my 150G reef. I was so stressed and worried about the move, I considered shipping my livestock and transporting the rest (LR, corals) in buckets of SW. But the cost was astronomical and the airline couldn't guarantee the fish would arrive alive, so I figured I'd take my chances on my own.

Ultimately, my fiance and I came up with a plan. We purchased a large plastic barrel from the hardware store with a screw off lid. We used a second barrel (not a screw off lid so cut the lid off) to transport some of the LR in some of the tank water. With the secured the screw off lid barrel in the back of the U-Haul, and filled with tank water and added the fish and shrimp. Next, we set up our canister filter in the barrel with the fish. Contrary to some advice (mainly because of the cost to replace the LS), we kept the LS and transported it in a bucket on its own with a bit of the tank water. We bagged our corals and put them in a styrofoam cooler.
The fish we kept in the large barrel overnight and we ran an extension cord into the U-Haul to run the filter. (Since we moved in June, a heater wasn't necessary).

The next morning we began the long journey, making several stops to check on the fish. Unfortunately, our efforts to check the fish were unsuccessful because the barrel was pitch black. (Note to self: make sure a flashlight is available during the journey, lol). We had the filter plugged into a deep cycle battery so it could run for the duration of the trip.

Once we arrived at our new home we had a temporary tank set up and used some of the water that was with the fish to fill the temporary tank and mixed a bucket of fresh SW for good measure.

Happily all six fish and four shrimp arrived in good condition - but that was not the end of the story. The next morning I awoke to my fiance alerting me that several of the fish died and Spike (my beloved magnificent foxface) was barely breathing. It turned out the move wasn't what killed the fish. What killed 3 fish and 1 shrimp was a lack of oxygen. In our haste, we made a rookie mistake. We had forgot to either put a bubbler in the temporary tank or not fill the tank so high so the filtered water would splash back into the tank creating oxygen.

Thankfully, Spike, two clownfish, and three shrimp survived.

So, here are some long-distance moving tips from my experience:
1. Depending on the season, you will need a heater or chiller (sealed bag of ice can also work) to maintain a good temperature. (We moved in June and
2. Save as much tank water as possible (either store alone without LR or LS or store with the fish). This will decrease the chance of the tank cycling or ammonia spikes.
3. Transporting LR separately from fish helped keep the ammonia levels down (since the sloshing water moved some of the loose sediment and deitrus on the rocks)
4. You can keep your LS and do not need to buy new stuff. Be sure to store it in a separate bucket or container away from LR and livestock. Rinse with SW before putting back in tank. (This worked for us because the fish were in a temporary tank so we could let the sand settle overnight and checked the ammonia levels in the tank the following morning, and the levels were fine).
5. Transport fish in the largest possible container to minimize stress and risk of ammonia spikes.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. I hope this helps minimize some of the stress for people who need to move an aquarium long distance!!!

Current Tank Info: 150G reef tank
emcmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2015, 03:36 PM   #2
SteveSenior
Registered Member

This post was very timely. Thanks for the great advice. I have a 120 gallon tank and am starting to plan a 350 mile move myself. I have a foxface, hippo tang, yellow tang, a flame angels and purple one, three firefish gobis, a cleaner shrimp, red shrimp, scallop, two anemones and assorted coral. The tank has only been up and running for 8 months but it is looking great. Coral growth is just starting to take off. I have quite a bit invested and want to relocate it without buying a new display tank. I am thinking I will need a temporary tank (I have been wanting an excuse for a quarantine tank anyway). If you or any other members have further advice, let me know. When I get a plan together, I will be seeking more advice.

SteveSenior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2015, 03:04 PM   #3
ChimolaFish
Registered Member

When I graduate I plan on moving back west and my limited experience shipping two cichlids across the country was very informative. That was two separate tanks totaling 30 gallons. Now I have two separate reef tanks totaling just under 300gallons. I don't plan on moving for a while, but already planning. Glad to see Im not the only crazy one out there

Unread 10/14/2015, 08:39 PM   #4
emcmilla
Registered Member

It's nice to see this post has been helpful . SteveSenior: Once you come up with a plan feel free to message me and maybe I can help further

Current Tank Info: 150G reef tank
emcmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2018, 02:47 PM   #5
T2LEE
Registered Member

Thank you for this post. I am making a 750 mile trip to Jacksonville Florida from Virginia Beach, Virginia this Saturday and I was frantically stressed but reading your post helped see that it is manageable and with a little planing it can be done. Thank you!!!

T2LEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2018, 02:49 PM   #6
T2LEE
Registered Member

Typo, meant 650 miles.

T2LEE is offline   Reply With Quote