Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/09/2018, 08:34 PM   #1
Mirror Pond
Premium Member

Mertens?

I picked this up from a LFS that took it in from a customer. It was hosting a pink or orange skunk clownfish so I took a chance that it was an S. Mertenensii. I've never seen one in person so please correct me if it is something different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mirror Pond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 08:53 PM   #2
D-Nak
Registered Member

Tentacles look right, but it could very well be a haddoni or very ****ed off gigantea. Does it have orange or brown or red verrucae? They should start as dots at the top near the oral disk and become lines or even connect at the end of the foot.

Unread 02/09/2018, 09:03 PM   #3
Mirror Pond
Premium Member

That's the issue, it doesn't have any colored verrucae but the tentacles and the folds look right for a mertens. I also placed it on the bottom of the tank next to a rock and it immediately climbed and attached to the top of the rock. I have two gigantea and a haddoni in the same tank and have owned many others and it does not look anything like any of them.

Unread 02/10/2018, 11:13 AM   #4
Cliving1
Registered Member

Whatever it is, thats a sweet pickup. Post more pics when possible

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2018, 05:00 PM   #5
Ron Popeil
Love them clownfish.

more pics dave!

Current Tank Info: 150 DD
Ron Popeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2018, 06:37 PM   #6
Mirror Pond
Premium Member

Mertens?

I put it in my small additional tank that's plumbed into my main tank in case I have to remove and treat it. This tank acts as a refugium and houses some of my other anemones but it collects a lot of algae and doesn't look so great. Here's a few additional pictures. These were taken under a SB reef light with the blue channel off.

One with a little blue added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 02/11/2018, 12:53 AM   #7
D-Nak
Registered Member

I don’t think it’s a mertensii. The foot looks too big in comparison to the oral disk, and there’s no sign of colored verrucae. All of the merts I’ve seen have brightly colored verrucae.

Last edited by D-Nak; 02/11/2018 at 03:28 PM.
D-Nak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2018, 06:35 AM   #8
OrionN
Moved on

It does not look like a Mertensii to me either. The foot is too big for the oral plate and the coloration of the column is not typical for Mertensii. However, the coloration of the tentacles seem most like Mertensii.
Take this with a pound of salt since I never keep a Mertensii. Only pictures and about 4 in real life at LFS. Never really observe this species closely as the speices that I keep.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2018, 11:33 AM   #9
Mirror Pond
Premium Member

Thanks for the opinions, I agree that it doesn't fit the mertensii descriptions that I have read about. It still wasn't a bad deal for a purpleish haddoni.

Unread 02/12/2018, 01:10 AM   #10
WatDatThing
Registered Member

I thought haddoni only stay in the substrate. It is beautiful.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

WatDatThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2018, 11:18 AM   #11
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatDatThing View Post
I thought haddoni only stay in the substrate. It is beautiful.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
While we typically think of haddoni as sand dwellers, I've seen exceptions in our tanks. When acclimating, they tend to move a lot, and some may end up temporarily in the rockwork while looking for a more permanent location. Furthermore, I've seen many small haddoni attach to the rocks. It may be that when they get bigger they move down into the substrate.

Unread 06/22/2020, 08:58 AM   #12
LesMartin
Registered Member

How did this pan out ? I have pictures from a European dealer of an Ultra Stichodactyls Ice Blue. It's pricey and they are good with a camera so I'm hesitant. It's not a regular blue haddoni thats for sure but I'd hate for it to turn up and be gray mertens....

LesMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2020, 10:55 AM   #13
nemmy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
While we typically think of haddoni as sand dwellers, I've seen exceptions in our tanks. When acclimating, they tend to move a lot, and some may end up temporarily in the rockwork while looking for a more permanent location. Furthermore, I've seen many small haddoni attach to the rocks. It may be that when they get bigger they move down into the substrate.
I've had a haddoni for years. When I moved I ditched my sand and stayed bare bottom. He don't care at all.

For not having brains they sure do have varying "personalities."

nemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2020, 10:36 AM   #14
Mirror Pond
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesMartin View Post
How did this pan out ? I have pictures from a European dealer of an Ultra Stichodactyls Ice Blue. It's pricey and they are good with a camera so I'm hesitant. It's not a regular blue haddoni thats for sure but I'd hate for it to turn up and be gray mertens....
I turned out to be a very pretty purple haddoni. I sold all my anemones a while back so I don't have a current picture but I'll try to find one from before I sold it.

Unread 06/28/2020, 10:54 AM   #15
Mirror Pond
Premium Member

Its the purple haddoni in front.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ac1900239e7b24c85885e5d7524379cc.jpg (79.5 KB, 42 views)
Unread 07/09/2020, 10:33 AM   #16
LesMartin
Registered Member

Thanks. I decided to give it a miss in the end. Pic below:

Ultra Ice Blue from Whitecorals.jpg

LesMartin is offline   Reply With Quote