Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/15/2008, 06:46 PM   #76
renisel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hyperfocal
Cool. Couldn't you just invert the signal off the 555 and drive a second oscillator and amp off that? That way you'd get a nice push-pull without duplicating the digital side of your driver...
Yeah, that would be one way to do it. Personally, I'd prefer to have them entirely independent rather than simply alternating. That would produce a more chaotic flow pattern.

renisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2008, 08:30 PM   #77
hyperfocal
Registered Member

That's what I'm doing right now with my two Singlecontrollerized Tunze Nanostreams; they're slightly out of sync so they churn things up quite nicely. I'm expecting that the AquaSurf (Tunze/ACjr interface) I ordered will arrive soon... once it does, I look forward to trying the Resonant Wave Mode (0.8s cycle time for my 4' tank).

It might be worth picking your RC values so you can oscillate that fast, just to experiment if nothing else.

Current Tank Info: getting back into the hobby
hyperfocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2008, 09:05 PM   #78
renisel
Registered Member

Putting them slightly out of sync was exactly what I had in mind, too. Not to get too far off topic, but what exactly is the purpose of the "Resonant Wave Mode"? Is it supposed to accomplish something like this ?

Unread 04/15/2008, 09:57 PM   #79
hyperfocal
Registered Member

Yeah, that's the idea -- though not quite so high I hope

Last edited by hyperfocal; 04/15/2008 at 10:44 PM.
Unread 04/21/2008, 07:16 AM   #80
smoothdog
Registered Member

Any updates on the diy project?

Current Tank Info: 150DD SPS dominant mixed reef. 100g sump/fuge, 6'x28"x12" frag tank, Diablo xs200 skimmer, Apex controller, Custom GEO 824 calcium reactor, panworld 200PS return pump. Lumenmax Elite reflector with Radium 250HQI bulb and 3 AI 32 HDs.
smoothdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2008, 03:47 PM   #81
got_rice76
Registered Member

12V AC eh instead of 12VDC

wow, what is false advertise.

glad I saw this thread, i was getting ready to add this feature on my micro-controller psoc that I have been running to control everything on my tank.

I got the Koralia DC pump, tried 12VDC on it, and does not work, i have not get a chance to go back to that yet. Now i know why ;-(

got_rice76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2008, 09:30 PM   #82
AngeloM3
Registered Member

Has anyone tried Hydors on a Reefkeeper 2? RK2 states that they use a "soft start" wavemaker programed into it. It's suppose to be better for the pump.

I have a RK2 but haven't been able to hook it up yet

Unread 05/27/2008, 10:03 PM   #83
NeveSSL
Got tubes?

FWIW, Aquatronica just announced a pump module that controls 4 Koralias at a time.

Also, some people have reported using the regular Koralias on regular wave makers without any problems for over a year. A piece of airline tubing helps the chattering from start up.

Brandon

Zip Ties = Reef Duck Tape

Geek it till it MHz!!!

Current Tank Info: 180g Build in Process
NeveSSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2008, 06:42 PM   #84
barfish
Registered Member

i just picked up an older reefkeeper. was planning to use it with #3 koralias w. the airline tubing mod. has anyone ever used the the original rk w. the hydors. sorry for the hh

barfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2008, 12:37 AM   #85
Saboral
Registered Member

I have that exact setup and it isn't very good klickity klack

Saboral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2008, 02:00 AM   #86
madadi
ReefOG

will the aquatronica controller work with the old koralias or the new?
was a price mentioned? link?

Quote:
Originally posted by NeveSSL
FWIW, Aquatronica just announced a pump module that controls 4 Koralias at a time.

Also, some people have reported using the regular Koralias on regular wave makers without any problems for over a year. A piece of airline tubing helps the chattering from start up.

Brandon

LETS TRADE YUMAS

Current Tank Info: Glass box.
madadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2008, 04:56 AM   #87
NeveSSL
Got tubes?

They're not available yet in the states, but I'm trying to get pricing info. They just announced them on 5/22.

They work with the new, controllable Koralias. I'm still waiting to hear more info in their forum on this thread, but Gilberto is working on it for me (Aquatronicas rep on RC ).

Aquatronica actually made the 4 channel version of the wavemaker for Hydor according to their rep in this thread. I'm assuming they worked out a deal to make a controller for their systems when they agreed to make it for Hydor. Whatever works, I don't really care, I'm just happy to see a controller! There have also been rumors running around about larger Koralias due out soon, up to Koralia 8s. We'll see!

Brandon

Geek it till it MHz!!!

Unread 05/29/2008, 05:37 AM   #88
madadi
ReefOG

nice. it would be nice if they made something for the aquacontroller as well.

LETS TRADE YUMAS

Current Tank Info: Glass box.
madadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2008, 05:42 AM   #89
NeveSSL
Got tubes?

Yep. But seeing as how they're competition, I'm kind of doubting it!

The AquaController's AquaSurf is freaking awesome for Tunzes, though, and is without a doubt some stiff competition. Quite honestly, I'm hoping this new Aquatronica unit matches or at least comes close to the Aquasurf in abilities.

Granted the actual Tunze pumps are a lot more expensive than the Koralias, the Aquasurf is still a killer deal. In fact, it just about caused me to sell my Aquatronica for an ACIII at one point.

Controllers everywhere are getting better and better. There are some great companies working on these things and they are doing amazing jobs!

Brandon

Geek it till it MHz!!!

Unread 05/29/2008, 08:49 AM   #90
mabviper
Registered Member

I think these pumps are actually a good idea from Hydor. I think the reason why there are no speed controllers for 120V AC powerheads is because of the complexity of the controller design. Making a 120V powerhead controller usually means making a variable frequency drive and to use that in a single phase AC motor is not feasible.

By stepping down the AC voltage requirements for these pumps, they dealt with lower AC ratings allowing them to make a relatively 'simple' controller, lower power pumps, lower power designed controller.

Anyhow, for those EE guys and girls, you can control these pumps buy designing a controller that can adjust the frequency of the 12V AC as well as the amplitude of this signal. If for example, you only control the frequency without controlling the amplitude, you'll change the designed motor-torque characteristics of the pump, ie, the change of the speed of the motor isn't linear to the change in frequency. Probably make the motor fail prematurely.

For me, if I want to control these pumps, I'd get a DC adaptor rated somewhere at 15V 5A (laptop adapter works too). Put the DC through a DC-AC inverter driven by a PWM signal to adjust the frequency and amplitude AC output. There's alot of details you need to look at to make it work w/o risk of damage or overheating.

If any of you guy ever wanted to control a regular 120V powerhead using this method, this new 12V powerhead is definately diy project ^^.

Sorry for blabbing, lol.

mabviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2008, 11:51 AM   #91
mudhen
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by NeveSSL
They're not available yet in the states, but I'm trying to get pricing info. They just announced them on 5/22.

They work with the new, controllable Koralias. I'm still waiting to hear more info in their forum on this thread, but Gilberto is working on it for me (Aquatronicas rep on RC ).

Aquatronica actually made the 4 channel version of the wavemaker for Hydor according to their rep in this thread. I'm assuming they worked out a deal to make a controller for their systems when they agreed to make it for Hydor. Whatever works, I don't really care, I'm just happy to see a controller! There have also been rumors running around about larger Koralias due out soon, up to Koralia 8s. We'll see!

Brandon
Ok, some good info here, but not quite on point maybe.

I spent quite a bit of time in their booth at InterZoo, as well as Hydor's booth.

The Aquatronica Koralia 4-way controller is not a stand-alone unit. It is designed for use with Aquatronica's computerized controller system. It does not look quite the same as Hydor's new 4-way controller (which has not even hit the US yet). Aquatronica's controller sends the programs to the unit. Hydor's 4-way has programs already installed and has an unlimited number of programs the user can create themselves.

Both units do use the exact same pumps, which will only be available only from Hydor though Hydor's normal supply chain. At this point, Aquatronica will not be selling any Koralia pumps.

The 4-way Koralia wavemaker appeared to be very popular at InterZoo. It was right up front in their booth. Each pump is individually controllable with an extensive program list. I think the power range is 30% - 100%.

The new Magnum Koralias were also on display. Sizes are 5-8. The are larger and more round in shape. The magnet/suction cup attachment is rated to 20mm, but don't try using on the smaller Koralias as it may reduce flow.

The Magnum Koralia 5 is rated at 1650 gph using 8W. The 8 is rated near 3300 gph using 19W. The 6 & 7 are in between that. I hear the ETA is late July for the 5-7, with the 8 coming later in the summer. They did not offer pricing, but I recall the 5 should be in the area of $120 USD on the low end. They have some new sort of electric start that cuts power if the impeller is not free. This also allows the impeller to sort of soft start (not really, it starts up with gusto in my opinion). Also, they don't have impeller shafts. Some sort of floating impeller method is used instead.

They said all the Magnum Koralias will also be available in the low voltage controllable models, but not until much later in the year.

That's all I have to report from InterZoo

mudhen

mudhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2008, 01:45 PM   #92
hahnmeister
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by inachu
Just put your korilias on a light dimmer switch.
AC motors dont work like that. A dimmer switch will damage the motor.

hahnmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2008, 12:42 AM   #93
renisel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mabviper
Anyhow, for those EE guys and girls, you can control these pumps buy designing a controller that can adjust the frequency of the 12V AC as well as the amplitude of this signal. If for example, you only control the frequency without controlling the amplitude, you'll change the designed motor-torque characteristics of the pump, ie, the change of the speed of the motor isn't linear to the change in frequency. Probably make the motor fail prematurely.
Would you mind elaborating on this a bit? I have a decent EE background, but electric motors aren't my area. Why does the amplitude need to be altered?

Unread 06/11/2008, 11:51 PM   #94
funbag
Registered Member

Finally, I could run this damn thing. :)

Hi, guys. About a month ago, I bought a 12V Koralia 2 (pump only). With a homemade DC controller, I couldn't make this thnig spin. Argggh.... It was 12V 50Hz AC Motor!!! Using the same DC controller, making a simple -12V~+12V square wave alternating 40Hz~60Hz frequency, I could run and changed the speed. With varying PWM duty, maybe one could get more versatility. I hope this will help.

funbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2008, 09:16 PM   #95
muzz
Registered Member

This is a little offtopic, but I had read somewhere that the biggest problem with true wavemakers, is that the tanks themselves are not really built to handle it.......is that correct? I read something that stated the constant changes in pressure against the seams can cause a tank to "blow out" or burst the seams. Has anyone experienced this? or know anyone who has? I have a 6' long glass tank, that is why I am asking. Welded acrylic would be fine I would imagine, but not sure. Anyone with information or warnings? Thanks

Current Tank Info: 45g bowfront and 125g with 75g sump
muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2008, 08:03 AM   #96
Snailpowered
Registered Member

I too have heard of this, and one of the reasons that i dont have a wave going with my vortechs.

Snailpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2008, 10:43 AM   #97
shelburn61
Registered Member

Seems we would hear more about tank blowouts with all the folks using waveboxes...?

shelburn61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2008, 10:58 AM   #98
NeveSSL
Got tubes?

I personally would chalk it up to rumors. I'm betting the people with wave motion in their tank who have been using it for years with no problem vastly outnumber those who have had a blowout they think was due to wave motion.

Brandon

Geek it till it MHz!!!

Unread 07/11/2008, 12:39 PM   #99
hyperfocal
Registered Member

I think if it was really an issue, an aquarium manufacturer would forbid wavemakers in the warranty -- just like they specify stands, levels tanks, etc.

Unread 07/11/2008, 01:27 PM   #100
NeveSSL
Got tubes?

Thats a good point hyperfocal.

Brandon

Geek it till it MHz!!!