Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/21/2020, 11:07 AM   #51
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Well, I guess I should update my build thread. Here's a picture:
[IMG=""][/IMG]

The dinoflagellates are finally gone! I guess the solution was time and an algae scrubber. Now they're being replaced with green algae, but that shouldn't be a problem for long.

I got a Grube's Gorgonian from Petco the other day for $25, you can see it on the reef side of the tank next to the anemone.

You can also see that the big acropora colony that used to be on the top left rock is gone. The dinos killed it, but at least I have some frags from it.

The seagrass needs a cleaning as you can see.

ThePurple12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2020, 11:12 AM   #52
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Oops, here's the picture

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3319.jpg (56.6 KB, 12 views)
Unread 09/21/2020, 11:21 AM   #53
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Aaand it's upside down.

Unread 09/21/2020, 11:45 AM   #54
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I can't see the pics. They have the blue square with a question mark. Edit: the new pic is upside down. Can you flip it?

Congrats on getting through dinos! So you think the biggest factor was the scrubber? Very interesting. This would suggest that competition for nutrients did the trick for you. It also suggests that low nutrients are not a cause, as some have suggested. But of course there are many dino strains, so it's hard to say for sure.

Good to hear you saved some frags from your lost acropora.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2020, 11:48 AM   #55
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Here we go:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg r.jpg (31.0 KB, 18 views)
Unread 09/21/2020, 11:54 AM   #56
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Yeah, I think the algae scrubber fixed it. It was covered with dinos for a bit, then the green algae took over the screen. Some kind of ulva even appeared out of nowhere on the screen.

I guess it's possible that the low nutrients caused by the scrubber took out the dinos. I'm not sure.

Unread 09/21/2020, 12:00 PM   #57
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Good pic. Your tank is filling in nicely. I really like your scape too!

On the dinos, did you ever use UV? Along with natural solutions, I thought that UV was instrumental in my battle.

Unread 09/21/2020, 12:26 PM   #58
ThePurple12
Registered Member

I didn't use UV, but I was about to if the dinos continued much longer. My biggest concern was that it would kill any good bacteria/phytoplankton floating around, which could mess up the pod population or something like that. Just a theory.

Unread 09/25/2020, 01:59 PM   #59
ThePurple12
Registered Member

I've decided to try again with the mysids. I ordered another 100 from Sach's Aquaculture and drip acclimated them to the 20 gallon long. I had removed the screen previously because I wanted to do that seagrass bed display, and I haven't put it back in yet.

I think last time I didn't feed them enough and they starved, so this time I'll be feeding BBS daily. They are eating it, so it should be fine.

Unread 09/25/2020, 02:16 PM   #60
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Good luck with your mysis project. What is your goal? Sustainable, reproducing population?

Unread 09/25/2020, 02:23 PM   #61
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Yes, but not on a large scale. I just want to supplement my erectus seahorses' diets with some live food and, if I ever breed them, it'll make the transition to frozen food easier.

I think I'm still going to do that seagrass bed tank, I'll just have to be careful which fish I add so the mysids don't disappear.

Unread 09/26/2020, 01:20 PM   #62
ThePurple12
Registered Member

The shoal grass is growing again! I don't know for sure, but I think before the dinoflagellates were preventing it from growing and now that they're gone, the seagrass can photosynthesize and breathe.

Unread 09/26/2020, 02:11 PM   #63
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That's great news! I can confirm that observation too. Coating algae can smother them.

Mini Strombus snails can climb and clean skinny sea grasses. They are the only ones that can do that. Mollies will also help clean the grasses. I did a lot of manual removal to keep my grasses going, before I had enough snails.

Unread 09/28/2020, 04:13 PM   #64
vlangel
Registered Member

Your tank looks very nice. Good luck with the mysis and the seagrass!

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2020, 04:53 PM   #65
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Thanks! Good luck with yours.

Unread 09/28/2020, 06:30 PM   #66
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePurple12 View Post
Thanks! Good luck with yours.
Thank you!

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
Unread 10/15/2020, 03:43 PM   #67
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Has anyone ever heard of shoal grass sprouting new leaves from an old leaf? It's happening with a few of my plants. See pics.

Now that the dinos are nearly gone, hair algae took over, and that was soon replaced with the current cyano. Anything's better than dinos, of course.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg grasscircle.jpg (96.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg grasscircle2.jpg (98.5 KB, 13 views)
Unread 10/15/2020, 03:56 PM   #68
ThePurple12
Registered Member

If you compare that to the last tank shot, you can see that the shoal grass has really returned. Before, there were at most 10 plants. Now, I can't really count them. Such a relief to have healthy seagrass again! It was my biggest tank-related concern for months. Next up is getting rid of the cyano, and I expect it'll go away on its own soon, with the help of the ATS.

Last edited by ThePurple12; 10/15/2020 at 04:01 PM.
Unread 10/15/2020, 04:26 PM   #69
vlangel
Registered Member

Your seagrass looks great. I am sure that is exciting to see it reproducing. Congrats...and good luck with the cyano. I am sure you will get it under control soon.

Unread 10/15/2020, 05:04 PM   #70
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I have not seen my Shoal grass do that. I HAVE seen my Manatee grass do it. Given how similar they look, it wouldn't be that unusual for you to have a Manatee grass or two. Just give them a little squeeze. Manatee grass is round, like a broomstick. Shoal grass I flat, like a ribbon.

Now that I think about it, my Shoal grasses were stowaways.

Unread 10/15/2020, 05:43 PM   #71
ThePurple12
Registered Member

I checked and they're definitely flat like shoal grass, but now I'm thinking widgeon grass?

Unread 10/15/2020, 05:48 PM   #72
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Good call! I think you're right!

Unread 11/24/2020, 12:32 PM   #73
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I'd love to see more of your tank, The Purple12. You've got so much going on! More updates and pics would be great. You and Vlangel are doing something unique, and we could all learn from your experience, like how you manage the 'tightrope' of corals v plants.

Mo deets yo!

Unread 11/24/2020, 05:43 PM   #74
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Oh yeah, it's been a while since the last update. I'll take some pictures.

Unread 11/24/2020, 06:15 PM   #75
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Well, I just did a water change and the tank's a little cloudy. I'll take some pics in the morning

I can't say there's a large amount of entropy in my tank, but maybe a little...

The shoal grass is finally growing, along with the new widgeon grass. That stuff gets tall! It easily reaches the surface after a bit of growing, and I just trimmed it down a lot. I think I read somewhere that widgeon grass can grow on rocks? Not sure if this is true, so I put some in the seahorse tank to find out.

The Johnson's is constantly spreading, but since its leaves are so delicate I always accidentally remove a ton with each water change.

The turtle grass is growing! Most of it died off, but a couple plants remain and are getting taller every day.

I'm not convinced seagrass needs high nitrates to grow. Mine have been under 5 lately (not on purpose, I blame the caulerpa that's spreading like wildfire), and the grasses are doing better than ever. The sandbed is the only other source of nutrients, so it must be pretty rich currently. I've been feeding my fish more lately, and that equals more poop. Any thoughts on this?

On the reef side, the corals aren't growing much and aren't looking their best. I think this is due to the mysterious low alkalinity of around 5.5, and I've started adding baking soda every day to raise it. I use this calculator: http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

Hair algae is still persistent. The ATS isn't growing very well for some reason. I think I'll try lowering the photoperiod of the scrubber. I really want to get a tang to eat it, but I don't want to risk it eating the seagrass. Maybe a Ctenochaetus tang would work, but I haven't seen any of those in the local shops.

As for the mysis project, they all disappeared again! I was feeding BBS daily, but they slowly dwindled to 0. The tank was room temperature, it was thoroughly oxygenated, salinity was 1.026, and water quality was good. I might try again, just not anytime soon...