Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/02/2012, 11:52 AM   #326
brandon429
Registered Member.

That's what i'm talking about right there

not a hideous invasion but one that has a low profile and occupies a notable surface area

Any systemic treatments will have to run for a long time to make a dent

that kind of red algae takes 5 days with direct application
We need to spray peroxide on the affected area

even though your tank is huge and will take signifigant work I'm certain you can beat it by taking the rocks and treating externally

I don't know about those other methods but this one is work heavy and guaranteed to work

an external treatment even a large one will not harm the filter bacteria on your rocks
That's a concern for the first time run I know but look how much we've tested it

the bommie style placement is easy to work with because the rocks don't support a huge structure

so it's a pain, but if you take out the rocks and treat externally, it'll kill it all in about 1 or 2 passes

After a ten day dieoff period

Once you get those rocks out, hit the algae good you might get it in one pass

Peroxide is still a preferable method of removal for you because you want to kill all the biomass with that kind of invader

brandon429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2012, 11:56 AM   #327
KafudaFish
Cyprinius carpio

I found two more little patches of HA on one of the rocks and I spot treated while doing a WC.

No pictures though because I was having help.

KafudaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2012, 11:58 AM   #328
brandon429
Registered Member.

the certainties Reefknight are notable recession after 1 treatment and an immediate improvement in about 5 to 8 days

use a brand new unopened bottle of peroxide

the variables are how many times you will h ave to re treat it to catch it all

Me too Kafuda just hit a tiny area of red algae

Unread 03/02/2012, 12:05 PM   #329
reefknight
Registered Member

Well the treatment will begin on Sunday with the right side island. There are only a few corals sitting on those rocks, so treating them won't be the problem. Getting them back in the tank in an appeasing manner to the wife will be though.

Have no idea of how long it took, lol!

Do you think hitting all the rock on that side at one time would cause an issue? It's about half of the total volume of rock in the tank. I've got few days off and have to make use of what I do have. Hit that side this week, the other side in about two weeks and hopefully we catch in all in one go.

Current Tank Info: DSA Neo 185gal - Coming Soon!
reefknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2012, 02:27 PM   #330
mkbtank
Premium Member

The pics with one side treated should be great.

mkbtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2012, 04:43 PM   #331
brandon429
Registered Member.

The external treatments import no peroxide into the tank so its safe to do any amount you want.

Unread 03/03/2012, 09:23 AM   #332
reefknight
Registered Member

Awesome guys!

After work today I'll pick up a couple bottles of peroxide and tomorrow we get down to business. I'm planning on rinsing the rock in SW removed during a water change. With my RO system being down, I only have so much newly made SW so I do not want to waste it on rinsing the rock only to be discarded.

Unread 03/03/2012, 09:28 AM   #333
reefknight
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterybox View Post
Day 49 with Kent Tech M, albeit I just did my second water change without adding anymore allowing the Mag to slowly get to normal levels.

Since I have been following the regime of covering any remaining patches with: day 1, kalk/rodi/H2O2 day 2, H2O2 & day 3 off, I AM 99.9% ALGAE FREE!

It appeared to be multiple types of Algae, including Bryopsis, and others....that were resistant to algae-fix and Somewhat to Kent's Tech M.

The final test will be after the carbon is back on line and removes whatever chemical that caused algae to be distressed. I'll be ready to paste it like Aptasia...
Hey fellow ARC'er!

How's your treatment proceeding at this point? I see you were dosing straight to the tank, did you lose any livestock during this treatment?

Unread 03/03/2012, 04:00 PM   #334
brandon429
Registered Member.

Randy is not for systemic dosing

I think any user of peroxide should consider all points good and bad and the fact our top experts don't jump on board so easily

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2140771

This thread is part of something new, we are submitting our tanks to an experimental method.

Figuring out how peroxide works is beginning to trail behind the rate of gaining its benefits. That's been an interesting part of reading online about it, nobody really knows how or why it works, it shouldn't. It should be a systemic sterilizing agent but its not, in time i'm sure formal articles will arise on the matter it will be interesting to see if they are for or against using it.

having a centralized collection of before, after, and follow up pics will be an invaluable resource/

Most peroxide threads are collections of varied methods and doses coming from all angles, not a repeat of three different application types that seem to have pretty high outcome predictability. What we are doing is saying within these three application methods (external treatment, drain and treat, systemic 1ml/10gals when sensitive organisms are considered) you can wipe out an invader, control the collateral effects to the aquarium and we don't know why it works so good. We don't know why its so detrimental to algae and not detrimental to filtration bacteria.

all these tanks using peroxide don't find ammonia spikes so the filter bed remains intact it seems

This is exactly what the dawn of pico reefing was like, nobody was quick to endorse it because fad methods tend to cause harm before help. For every ten methods that pop up one or less remain after five years.

3 gallon and smaller pico reefs weren't supposed to work. As pics/threads progressed, so did the science and repeatability. Peroxide usage will work in similar fashion I do think. Every once in a while we find something that simply works but it takes a few years to become legitimized

Last edited by brandon429; 03/03/2012 at 04:37 PM.
Unread 03/04/2012, 08:49 PM   #335
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

Day 49 with Kent Tech M, albeit I just did my second water change without adding anymore allowing the Mag to slowly get to normal levels.

Since I have been following the regime of covering any remaining patches with: day 1, kalk/rodi/H2O2 day 2, H2O2 & day 3 off, I AM 99.9% ALGAE FREE!

It appeared to be multiple types of Algae, including Bryopsis, and others....that were resistant to algae-fix and Somewhat to Kent's Tech M.

The final test will be after the carbon is back on line and removes whatever chemical that caused algae to be distressed. I'll be ready to paste it like Aptasia...

Three days later....

Day 52 Kent Tech M

so after blasting any remaining algae with Kalk/RO/H2O2, I do not see anything that is possibly alive.

I have decided to slowly add rox carbon back to system, so yesterday I changed my GFO & put in 3/4 of a cup of carbon to start removing any chemicals from tech m remaining. I know there is plenty of residue levels remaining because when I added 3 turbo snails they died within 8 hours getting sluggish within' 2 hours. Astrea snails sre perfectly fine however as well as all other inverts.

I'll be prepared to blast any green that appears just like an infection of aiptasia.......hopefully I won't have to....

It's all wait and see, and I'll be happy to start seeing my SPS start growing, and my tort needs to recovery.....which it will......

(during this whole process, sps were either stagnant in growth or doing poorly as apparently when the slgae died it released so much nutrients back that my system coulndt handle the additional amounts....that has since been adjuted and all is well now)

Day 54 Kent Tech M
Today!
Brandon....help!

So just 48 hours after adding 3/4 of a cup of rox Carbon from BRS, the remaining "dead patches of algae" are turning GREEN! OMG! These were treated with both Kalk & some H2O2........arggggggggg............

I am going to pull out my centerpiece rocks tomorrow and treat with H2O2, however, they are mostly encrused with SPS, Zoa, Blue Clove and much more................

Can some of these corals sustain 5-10 minutes in 3% H2O2? or will I lose them? (I will be very careful will all SPS and some Zoa)...

what say you?

Unread 03/04/2012, 08:57 PM   #336
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefknight View Post
Hey fellow ARC'er!

How's your treatment proceeding at this point? I see you were dosing straight to the tank, did you lose any livestock during this treatment?

nope!

however, I am not getting the same results as outside the tank...

Unread 03/04/2012, 09:06 PM   #337
brad65ford
Registered Member

Been there done that bro, not fun. Spent way to much time treating and same as you, and the stuff just come back. Seems we need to hit it straight.

I'm going to try GFO/GAC rectors next. Reactors are here, just waiting from my BRS order to come in.

Unread 03/04/2012, 09:13 PM   #338
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

[QUOTE=mysterybox;19970382]

Day 54 Kent Tech M
Today!
Brandon....help!

So just 48 hours after adding 3/4 of a cup of rox Carbon from BRS, the remaining "dead patches of algae" are turning GREEN! OMG! These were treated with both Kalk & some H2O2........arggggggggg............

I am going to pull out my centerpiece rocks tomorrow and treat with H2O2, however, they are mostly encrused with SPS, Zoa, Blue Clove and much more................

Can some of these corals sustain 5-10 minutes in 3% H2O2? or will I lose them? (I will be very careful will all SPS and some Zoa)...

what say you?[/QUOTE]

Brandon?

Unread 03/04/2012, 09:18 PM   #339
brandon429
Registered Member.

I wouldn't dip them for that long even though i've read others doing that with zos

I would take out rocks and spot treat, let sit 4 mins, moisten corals during this time, rinse and put back. That to me is safer and more likely to kill the algae.

Unread 03/04/2012, 09:20 PM   #340
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

ok, thanks!

Unread 03/05/2012, 12:12 AM   #341
reefknight
Registered Member

Ralph, I'm sorry to hear that you are seeing a return of some of your algae issues. I know how frustrating this must be for you.

As for my first day of treating:

I removed all of the live rock on the right side island. I used a small spray bottle set to a fine mist and sprayed the rocks, let them stand for 2 minutes, then rinsed in used tank water. In some instances I let them sit in the rinse water for a couple of minutes due to pulling/ replacing rocks in the tank. Needless to say this took several hours to pull, treat and re aqua scape that side. While treating the rock I was shocked to find a lot of valonia hidden throughout the rocks. Also while treating I found and got rid of several bristle worms. They may be beneficial, but I hate getting stung. I also used less than 5ml to squirt some on my overflow box and the return nozzles because they too had this algae on them. I used a 1ml syringe with a precision tip to drip peroxide around the tissue of a few corals. A couple of acans, chalices, duncans, and a favia. Most seemed to slime up and shed the slime quickly once they had been replaced in the display. They were rinsed immediately following the application of peroxide. Coraline algae almost instantly began turning a hot pink color. I didn't notice any difference to the gelidium at this point.

I believe that I will need to restock my pod population following treating the other side of the tank, cause I saw several pods dying off in the rinse water. I didn't notice any ill effects by any of the corals throughout the evening. To assist with the possibility of any residual peroxide, I placed a piece of Poly-Filter in my sump baffles. Just trying to be safe rather than sorry.

I will be adding 4-6 Turbo snails tomorrow to help assist in the removal of algae. Depending upon the success of today's treatment, I will complete the left side next weekend. That side will be more difficult as it has several encrusted SPS corals.

Wish me luck!

Unread 03/05/2012, 12:28 PM   #342
Mangodude
The Clown Tang Keeper!

Due to me being short on time, I really want to try this method but I've got a question first.

I've got a bunch of frag plugs that have grown HA over them, I can't scrubb them with a toothbrush/manual removal due to them being zoa's/softies that will get damaged. Can I throw all the frag plugs in a bin and just dose the whole bin? Total amount of water would be 1-2 gallons.

Also, if there's any crabs/etc in there will it harm them to be in this solution?

Current Tank Info: Too many
Mangodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2012, 12:36 PM   #343
brandon429
Registered Member.

we recommend spot treating them vs whole dosing over the coral tissue

people have done what you are considering using a mixture of 50% 3% peroxide and 50% saltwater, for a few mins, but to be safe you should try to use a dropper to apply the peroxide dilution to the spot it needs. if its possible to not coat a whole kenya tree frag for example its better not too, even though that species has been somewhat tolerant of dips in previous examples linked within.

Unread 03/05/2012, 12:38 PM   #344
brandon429
Registered Member.

zoanthids are probably very tolerant of a short 50 50 dip, across peroxide threads they have been. But nothing is safer than the spot treatment where you emerse the frag from water, apply further-diluted or undiluted 3% right on the bad spot, wait 3 mins, rinse and reinstall.

Unread 03/05/2012, 12:43 PM   #345
Mangodude
The Clown Tang Keeper!

Ok, thanks

I've got some star polyp that's covered with HA that i'll try a full submersal on and see how that goes.

The zoas include darth mauls, captain americas, hornets, etc so I don't really want to risk losing them..

Unread 03/05/2012, 12:45 PM   #346
Mangodude
The Clown Tang Keeper!

Also, i've gotten some HA in my fuge, can I pull all the cheato out and treat that seperately?

Unread 03/05/2012, 01:22 PM   #347
Mangodude
The Clown Tang Keeper!

Decided to go ahead and give this a shot. Pulled some cheato out of my fuge that was just covered in HA and poured some 3% over it. Sizzles a lot and then turns red. any idea why it turns red?

I'll get pics up tomorrow of results..

Unread 03/05/2012, 01:28 PM   #348
thebanker
Moved On

Not sure if anyone has formally tried it on chaetomorpha, but I would think that it would kill the chaeto instantly.

thebanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2012, 01:34 PM   #349
Mangodude
The Clown Tang Keeper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebanker View Post
Not sure if anyone has formally tried it on chaetomorpha, but I would think that it would kill the chaeto instantly.
Well we're about to find out

confirmed kill on bristleworms btw

Unread 03/05/2012, 01:49 PM   #350
Mangodude
The Clown Tang Keeper!

Just ran a few different tests, cheato will turn your water purple if h2o2 is used on it. Not sure if it kills it yet or not..

Just plain HA and HA w/ calurpa doesn't seem to change the water color