Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/01/2017, 07:51 PM   #51
HuskerBioProf
Registered Member

Everything is going well. The grasses aren't growing much, still, but they aren't dying. I guess we will call that a win. The anemones are healthy and I have a tank full of SPS that is growing and coloring up. It is the grass that is the most boarderline. My Halimedia opportunia is starting to grow quite a bit, as well as some of the other macros.

There is some really cool algae that has come out of nowhere in this tank. Tons of little critters crawling around. I am definitely enjoying the tank.

HuskerBioProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2017, 12:12 AM   #52
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That's great! You're balancing two, connected systems! In my experience, grasses take a while to get going. Your macros are growing. Sounds good! What do you think the cool algae that's popping up is?

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2017, 03:24 AM   #53
HuskerBioProf
Registered Member

It is Cymoplolia barbara, so not that uncommon, but it is pretty cool.

I also have more life in this tank in a shorter amount of time than any past tank. There are many arthropod species, flatworms, many large polychaete fan worms, and even tiny snails crawling around. Part of it is the mature live rock, but I think most is from the deeper sand and all the algae habitat.

Last edited by HuskerBioProf; 09/04/2017 at 03:14 AM.
Unread 09/02/2017, 09:54 AM   #54
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That one is cool. I have some too. It sounds like you're having an explosion of life!

Unread 09/04/2017, 03:21 AM   #55
HuskerBioProf
Registered Member

Here's a bit of a photo update.

Hypnea

Cymopolia barbata hitchhiker. This photo is a week or so old, it is now about double the size.

Cinnamon clown and anemone

Unread 09/04/2017, 09:03 AM   #56
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Awesome pics!

Unread 09/27/2017, 09:14 PM   #57
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

How's it coming?

Unread 09/27/2017, 09:57 PM   #58
Subsea
Registered Member

Red Grapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerBioProf View Post
Here are a couple update pictures. A local was selling these stunning, multicolored RBTA. I have considered having this display refugium also be a tank to house species I love but don't want in my SPS tank. Thus, anemones seem to fit perfectly into this scenario. I'm going to make sure the anemones acclimate okay into the new tank, and then I will transfer my clown over.

Here are a couple of photos before they go into their requisite shrink/hide fiasco that has occurred with every BTA I have had.

Here is the Botryocladia in its new, peculiar coloration.
I started reading your thread from the beginning and really like your display refugium. It would be what I would consider to be a macro lagoon, very nice tying it back in to your other display tank. With respect to the Botryocladia botryoides, it shows that color as light intensity goes up. I have not found it to do well in intense light. According to Russ Kronwetter at GCE, he collects this macro in 60' - 120' of water in the Gulf of Mexico. Not very bright at that depth. When 40W florescent tubes were what we used in marine aquarium lighting, two 40W tubes over a 55G tank grew a Red Grape bush that was 16" tall and took up 30% of the tank. The color was a deep burgendy color: flotation balls and stems.

Good fortune on your display refugium. I will continue reading this thread.

Current Tank Info: 10,000G. Greenhouse Macro Growout
Subsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 05:56 PM   #59
HuskerBioProf
Registered Member

Thanks for following along. You are right, it doesn't appear to like the high light much. However, my grass, other algae, and anemones do, so I leave it high. The botryocladia seems to be managing okay despite the high light.

Unread 10/06/2017, 10:34 PM   #60
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

How's the balancing act? Both tanks 'helping' each other? I'd love to hear more of your experience with this dual ecosystem setup.

Unread 10/10/2017, 03:07 PM   #61
HuskerBioProf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
How's the balancing act? Both tanks 'helping' each other? I'd love to hear more of your experience with this dual ecosystem setup.
Everything is going reasonably well. I don't have a ton of nutrient export algae in the display refugium/lagoon. As such, there has been a bit of a brown hair algae outbreak in the main tank. I think partly from over feeding, partly from the tank still being newish. Also, the main tank got some red bugs brought in on one of the frags. They are being a bit of a pain. I'm trying to not treat anything with chemicals, and instead have an H. chrysus yellow wrasse as a control measure. So far, it is working okay but not great.

The SPS frags are growing well and are coloring up quite nicely (aside from the 3 or 4 that have bugs on them and are kind of pale). Alkalinity has been between 8.0 and 8.3 dKH for a month, which is certainly helpful. I haven't tested nitrate or phosphate for quite a while and did my first water change on the tank last night to try to knock down some of the algae/cyano.

I think the system would benefit from some faster growing algae and perhaps a little more water flow to reduce cyano and to prevent algae in the main tank.

It definitely is looking pretty "dirty" in there, which I like. I'll try to take some pictures soon.

Unread 10/10/2017, 03:45 PM   #62
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Has anyone ever avoided the algae phase? Not to my knowledge. I think it's a natural part of succession and critical for long term system stability. I was just rereading my three month cyano struggle in my own thread. It was hell! I tried to avoid chemicals too, until I finally gave in-to chemiclean, combined with four day blackouts, manual removal and water changes.

That's cool you're using a wrasse to get those bugs. In my experience, the best way for that to work is for them to have little else to eat. Maybe a drastic reduction in feeding would work, like once a week.

I really admire what you're doing. I think a lot of folks will benefit from your experience.

Unread 10/29/2017, 08:40 AM   #63
HuskerBioProf
Registered Member

A couple of photo updates. The Halimedia is growing well and the Botryocladia is seeming to color back up. It is perhaps getting used to the high lighting, because I have not reduced it at all.

The seagrasses are starting to grow and sprout new shoots. The turtle grass is faring much better than the shoal at the moment. I am thinking this is because of cyano and micro algae build up on the leaves. I have added more water flow to try and combat this.

A couple photos:

Unread 10/29/2017, 09:57 AM   #64
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Great update! Congrats on your success with turtle grass and halimeda especially! Also, great pics! Did you use a macro lens for those last two? Stunning!

Unread 10/29/2017, 01:08 PM   #65
HuskerBioProf
Registered Member

Thanks. Not much success yet, but at least it is alive..ha.

I just realize that I think my blue Hypnea appears to have completely dissolved. I think the cyano smothering may have had something to do with that. It is difficult to clean off the cyano in this tank. If I reach a hand in, the female cinnamon clown draws blood. She is a cold blooded killer.

Yes, the last two are with the Canon 100 2.8 macro (non L version). I shoot a lot of wildlife macros, as well. Great lens for the money.

Unread 10/29/2017, 03:25 PM   #66
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Yikes! Clowns are vicious. I'd remove it. The cyano phase is tough. And tough to avoid!

Good to know. I'd love to get a macro lens. Your great pics make want one more!

Unread 12/27/2017, 02:01 PM   #67
HuskerBioProf
Registered Member

Here is a bit of an update. I don't mind the feisty clowns, they keep me from sticking my hand in the tank too much..ha. I have AEFW unleashing havoc on the SPS tank, but everything in the refugium section is doing pretty well. I think the SPS catastrophe has peaked, and a rebound will happen in due time.

Macroalgae is growing well. I reduced the daylight photoperiod and the Botryocladia seems to enjoy that. It has also reduced some of the cyano in the display refugium. I also added a coco worm about a week ago, and it seems to be doing fine.

I'm still on the lookout for some interesting inverts to add... perhaps some interesting crabs or shrimp.

Unread 12/27/2017, 02:09 PM   #68
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Looks great! Macros are filling in. Nice scape too! Is the dominate green macro halimeda?

Unread 12/27/2017, 02:14 PM   #69
HuskerBioProf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Looks great! Macros are filling in. Nice scape too! Is the dominate green macro halimeda?
Thanks. Yes, it is Halimeda opuntia. It seems to have grown really quickly in my system for whatever reason. Perhaps it is the relatively stable calcium and alkalinity due to the connection to my SPS tank. I didn't notice until looking at the previous photos, but it does look like my seagrasses have grown significantly over the past few months. I only wish I had a taller tank for them.

Unread 12/27/2017, 02:21 PM   #70
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

So cool! I agree, with your reef connected, you halimeda is benefiting! Congrats on the seagrass growth!

It looks like your very challenging concept is working. Props!

Unread 01/02/2018, 01:34 PM   #71
Zafak
Registered Member

Looks good! I'm considering doing something similar but I'm not sure on how to do the plumbing. I currently have a 75g mixed reef with no sump or refugium. I plan on adding a 40g breeder display refugium next to the 75g and a 55g sump below the 75g. I don't know if I should have the water flow from the 75g to the 40g and drain from the 40g to the 55g sump to then be pumped up to the 75g, or have the 75g drain to the 55g sump to be pumped up to the 40g then flow back to the 75g. I'll likely have an in sump skimmer when this is all set up. Do you have any advice?

Zafak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2018, 03:17 PM   #72
HuskerBioProf
Registered Member

I have my 150 gallon display tank and 55 gallon refugium both drain into a common 75 gallon sump. The 150 has a full Bean Animal drain, and the 55 has a drain standpipe + emergency drain.I T'd the return pump to go to the display and the refugium. This seems to be the safest way to prevent flooding of the sump during power outage or either tank during plugged drain.