Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/09/2017, 08:26 PM   #1
reefboyd
Registered Member

Water pump selection

I am moving my sump for a 220 gallon reef tank to the basement. Will be approximately a 15 ft. vertical distance with about 14 ft. Horizontal distance. Probably 4 90 degree angles/turns. Any recommendations in regards to the pump. I am considering a reeflo or a Dolphin. Recommendations regarding quality, etc.?

reefboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2017, 10:22 PM   #2
outy
Moved On

I use Iwaki I bought used 8 years ago when I did my 100g basement sump for my 215.

Mine is the 55RLT and I only have about a 9' rise, and I am at least getting 500gph through the system which is way more the needed.

The trick with any of these high head pressure pumps is to use vinyl tubing for a few feet from the pump on the output side, stops all vibration noise. The pump is below our bedroom and I don't hear it at all.

I have been tempted by a nice DC pump with lower wattage, but why fix whats not broken.

You could use a Iwaki MD-70RLT or like me a 55RLT

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 01:13 AM   #3
jkapit
Registered Member

I would check out the head loss calculator on the home page, you can plug in the vertical and horizontal length and number of elbows and select the pump model and it will show your flow rate.

As a point of reference, I have a 175DT and about 50 gallon twin sumps in my basement. I use two Iwaki 55RLTs and get about 1000 GPH through the system. I can vouch for the Iwaki reliability and low maintenance. Both my pumps are 12 years old and I clean them every two years.

jkapit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 03:15 PM   #4
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Reeflo & Dolphin will require seal replacement eventually.
For longevity I don't think you can beat Iwaki.
I bought mine used ran it for about 10 years & sold it.
To my knowledge it's still running.

Unread 11/11/2017, 08:33 AM   #5
reefboyd
Registered Member

Thanks for the info.
I will have to reconsider my options. I like the positive thoughts on the Iwaki pumps. Longevity would be great.

reefboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2017, 10:50 PM   #6
hellssephiroth
Registered Member

The Iwaki pumps are great. Unfortunately I am trying every effort to lower my electric bill this year so when my new 220 goes up to replace my 125 I am going DC this time around. I always have to throttle back the bigger pumps anyways where now I can save a few bucks.

hellssephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2017, 12:33 AM   #7
Potatohead
Registered Member

Iwaki. If you really want to spend some money Red Dragon has a new pressure rated pump, but for plug and play Iwaki is virtually impossible to beat.

Potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2017, 08:20 PM   #8
mrsixstrings12
Registered Member

i've been running a waveline dc10000 for about 8 months now with no issues so far. Mine does 15' horizontal and about 10' vertical, with about 8 elbows. I run it at about half power, plus "throttled" down with a gate valve for a lower flow because I do not have any corals as of yet and to match my skimmer. My return line also T's off to my refugium and is split in 2 at the tank.

mrsixstrings12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2017, 09:06 PM   #9
ReefRescue
Registered Member

Depending on your budget nothing can touch the Abyzz pumps.

ReefRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2017, 09:13 PM   #10
jubei2006
Registered Member

For high pressure applications reeflo or dolphin. Have heard/read less about dolphin seal failures than reeflo. Will be using both brands for a 540gallon build. Two of the 6000gph dolphins for 2 closed loops, one on a ocean motion, and a reeflo hammerhead for the sump return. Still couldnt buy an abyss for the money on these 3 pumps new. Will have about 12000 gph for the closed loops, and just over 3000gph after head loss on the sump.

jubei2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2017, 10:08 PM   #11
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I run a large tank from a basement sump; have done in two houses now going back almost 25 years. In that time I have used Iwaki, Panworld, Dolphin and Reeflo. In fact, I would judge them in that order. Had all sorts of problems with the reeflo, none with the Iwaki which ran for me for almost 20 year continuously. For 'normal' sized tanks (i.e. not thousands of gallons) it's hard to go wrong with Iwaki or Panworld. They handle pressure well as long as you are smart about your plumbing choices. While something like the Abyzz looks cool, the price tag is absurd and quick math shows that you'll never get it back in energy savings.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2017, 02:46 AM   #12
WVfishguy
Registered Member

I use Danner Supreme pumps. Have for decades. Iwakis are also very good. Dolphins always failed on me.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote