Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11/21/2017, 12:11 AM   #2876
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

Thank you sam.basye! It's getting there. The sail fins are ok. A little subdued for my taste, but, like you said it's fun to hunt for them. Once you find them, you can watch their social behavior, which is pretty amusing.

I agree, a big show fish would be nice. One fish that becomes more possible, the more bad luck I have with sponges, is the Rocky Beauty. It's a gorgeous fish. Another possibility is a small school of small, captive reared Look Downs. Getting them in this small size is very interesting! I've got a few more small fish to add first, before any big guys, but it's good to discuss it!

Right now the only seagrass I have growing is the shoal grass. I don't know its light requirements, as my research was centered on the manatee grass. Since they grow in shallow water I figure they'll take as much light as I can give them in my 30 inch high tank. For me, that's a 400 watt metal halide, 5200k light. This new bulb is brighter than its predecessor. I had wanted to add more light, but not more heat. I've had to make adjustments, but I think it will work well. With the recent growth spurt, I'm thinking the light helps. My best guess at a short answer is very bright.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass-Mangrove Mudbank Lagoon
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2017, 12:13 AM   #2877
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

Thank you sam.basye! It's getting there. The sail fins are ok. A little subdued for my taste, but, like you said it's fun to hunt for them. Once you find them, you can watch their social behavior, which is pretty amusing.

I agree, a big show fish would be nice. One fish that becomes more possible, the more bad luck I have with sponges, is the Rocky Beauty. It's a gorgeous fish. Another possibility is a small school of small, captive reared Look Downs. Getting them in this small size is very interesting! I've got a few more small fish to add first, before any big guys, but it's good to discuss it!

Right now the only seagrass I have growing is the shoal grass. I don't know its light requirements, as my research was centered on the manatee grass. Since they grow in shallow water I figure they'll take as much light as I can give them in my 30 inch high tank. For me, that's a 400 watt metal halide, 5200k light. This new bulb is brighter than its predecessor. I had wanted to add more light, but not more heat. I've had to make adjustments, but I think it will work well. With the recent growth spurt, I'm thinking the light helps. My best guess at a short answer is very bright.

Old 11/21/2017, 07:58 AM   #2878
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I love the pic updates, and of course, I'm blenny biased. But, they're all cool. Any plans to grow the gramma harem any time soon?

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2017, 08:49 AM   #2879
McPuff
Registered Member

Love the blennies! I have to get some for my tank. It's just so fun to see them pop out of the different nooks and crannies. :0)

Great pictures!

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2017, 09:03 AM   #2880
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

Thanks Chasmodes! I renewed my effort to get pics of blennies. I got a few decent ones. I do plan to 'rebuild' the harem soon. I may get a few more small fish in before them. I'm still cycling my QT. It has passed through a diatom phase and is entering a cyano phase next. It shouldn't be much longer, since I seeded it with substrate from the display.

Old 11/21/2017, 09:07 AM   #2881
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

Thanks McPuff! I could see some blennies in your tank. They are amazingly tough. And bold! I remember one facing down a look down that got too close.

Old 11/21/2017, 11:19 PM   #2882
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

Another sea hare hunt today. And there are still more. They really got out of hand all of a sudden! It's too bad. A few would have been fine, but hundreds, not fine.

The mysis I added are down to just a few remaining. I'm holding out hope they'll have babies and bounce back to a sustainable population. We'll see.

As I searched the tank looking for mysis, I noticed that pretty much every square centimeter of my substrate is moving! Now THAT'S live sand! And it is diverse, with multiple worm and pod species, serpent stars, snails and a cucumber. Establishing this guild of the ecosystem is essential to its stability. Understanding how it all works together naturally is awe inspiring. And it's less work for me…

Old 11/22/2017, 06:45 AM   #2883
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Do any fish eat sea hares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
As I searched the tank looking for mysis, I noticed that pretty much every square centimeter of my substrate is moving! Now THAT'S live sand! And it is diverse, with multiple worm and pod species, serpent stars, snails and a cucumber. Establishing this guild of the ecosystem is essential to its stability. Understanding how it all works together naturally is awe inspiring. And it's less work for me…
Fantastic! That would be my goal. And a side benefit is that it makes the tank that much more interesting with more to watch.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM   #2884
Pandagobyguy
Registered Member

Any good sources of info about making a biotope tank?

Pandagobyguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:51 PM   #2885
Subsea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandagobyguy View Post
Any good sources of info about making a biotope tank?
John Tullock’s book, “The Natural Reef Aquarium” is all about biotypes and pivotal species.

Current Tank Info: 10,000G. Greenhouse Macro Growout
Subsea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:57 PM   #2886
Pandagobyguy
Registered Member

Thank you!

Pandagobyguy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
biotope, caribbean, food chain detrivores, macro algae, seagrass