Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/24/2017, 07:56 AM   #1
Blue Reef 06
Registered Member

How do you manage electrical components?

Hi All,

I moved over the summer and despite my best efforts had a major tank crash and lost everything. Depressing to say the least. I am finally ready to rebuild my tank and am looking to improve on my previous set up. One thing I am considering is moving my controller and all other electrical components out of the stand. I had issues with my previous setup developing issues due to salt creep/moisture. How do you set up your electrical components (in or out of the stand) to keep everything running smoothly? I’ve been looking at various kinds of conduit, etc and wondered what everyone else has had success with

I have a standard 125gal tank and just invested in a Neptune Apex controller for the new set up.

Thx!

Unread 11/24/2017, 08:01 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I'm a big fan of open slot "wire duct"..
Like this stuff..
https://static.graybar.com/supplieri...X4LG6-orig.jpg

But yes I always have a section on the side of the tank that is separated from the sump area with just a hole to pass cords through then mount all the equipment and hide the wires in the wire duct..

Unread 11/24/2017, 08:40 AM   #3
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

I mounted a board on the wall next to the tank & have everything there.

Unread 11/24/2017, 10:32 AM   #4
JTL
Registered Member

I have separate area in the sump for all of the junk. I mounted the controllers on a faceplate on the front of this area. Is basically a box with a couple of holes for wiring.

100 gallon DT and 50 gallon sump with refugium. Reefbreeders Photon V2+.
JTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2017, 11:38 AM   #5
slief
RC Sponsor

I have a very large system and while I have controller components scattered all over the place including under other tanks, the shed etc, I have my brain, a number of modules and several power bars below the tank where my sump and main refugium are. That said, my sump and refugium are covered to limit humidity and evaporation. I also have a bunch of fans mounted in my doors to reduce humidity and aid in keeping the underside of the tank at ambient temperatures. The combination of the covers and the ventilation all but eliminate issues with moisture buildup below the tank and because of that, I’ve never had any equipment/compentant issues. I also have all the components mounted up high below the tank which also helps insure they don’t ever get wet.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2017, 11:45 AM   #6
slief
RC Sponsor

You can see how everything is covered in this picture. The power bars, controller brain and modules are mounted up out of sight.

Both doors have three 120mm fans on custom mounts that blow air out from under the tank through the louvers.

An old picture but you can see the louvers in the doors that allow fresh air in from the fans.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2017, 12:12 PM   #7
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

Clean set up SLIEF

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2017, 12:53 PM   #8
JTL
Registered Member

^x2. Also nice DT.

100 gallon DT and 50 gallon sump with refugium. Reefbreeders Photon V2+.
JTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2017, 03:41 PM   #9
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

Im setting up a system now also and wanted to take precaution with the electrical components as well. In the past had the controllers outside of the stand, but Im moving to a new house and although I think controllers look cool, the wife wasnt too thrilled to have all that stuff exposed, and now wants me to have it all inside the stand for the new build

I designed my stand attempting to keep more fresh air in and as little moisture inside the sump area as possible. I installed a mag levitation fan(dead quiet) that will go on/off every 20 mins throughout the day and have designed clear acrylic covers that will protect the controller, doser, modules from skimmer overflows, salt creep and so on.

Im still in the process of wrapping it all up, but like how it has come out so far. Pardon the wires still hanging from the light pucks, Im finishing installing them

Last edited by ReefCowboy; 11/24/2017 at 06:03 PM.
ReefCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2017, 08:13 PM   #10
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Nothing quite like an enclosed, humid stand to rot your sensitive electronics. Best day of my time in this hobby was the day I moved all my equipment out of the stand and into a basement fish room. Though I appreciate not everyone can do this, but man does it make things easier.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2017, 08:25 AM   #11
Blue Reef 06
Registered Member

Thanks to everyone for the input and the amazing pictures! This is super helpful.

Unread 11/25/2017, 01:50 PM   #12
biecacka
Registered Member

right now i have all mine outside behind my stand. I cannot wait though until i have the space to have a downstairs sump.

corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote