Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/12/2017, 08:29 PM   #1
StormySea
Registered Member

Question Missing yellow watchman goby

Ok, I’ve only been at this saltwater thing for 3 months. Everything was fine until 2 days ago when my yellow watchman goby disappeared!

I only have a Coralife Biocube 16g, one large center rock and two smaller ones. I’ve looked everywhere! Two clowns and a cleaner shrimp doesn’t seem like they could eat him without a trace. He’s not in the back compartments either because we took out everything there.

The tank has a good hood but I even looked all over the floor and nothing.

The bottom of the tank is sand. He was hanging out in the front of the tank for 3 weeks, looked happy, was eating well and then suddenly vanished.

Have I lost my mind?

StormySea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2017, 08:32 PM   #2
Fiver
Registered Member

Could be hiding. Mine went missing for almost a week once. I would not disturb the tank too much. It will only make him more nervous.

Last edited by Fiver; 11/12/2017 at 08:38 PM.
Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2017, 08:33 PM   #3
rocsec1
Registered Member

No
They can disappear. I know you said you checked the overflows, but did you shine a light down in there after you removed everything?
I’ve lost track of the number of fish I’ve found in the sump. Last week I found my new clown in the return section of my sump. That means he got into the overflow, went for a water slid ride, swam through the skimmer section, the fig, over and under the bubble trap to get where I found him.

rocsec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2017, 08:42 PM   #4
StormySea
Registered Member

Thanks for quick replies!

Yes, we took out everything from the back chambers and used a flashlight on each. Pump chamber, filter chamber and protein skimmer chamber is what is in the back. He’s not there. We took all that apart searching.

I didn’t try moving the large rock or touching the sand but it will be due for a sand vacuum and water change on Tuesday. Should I?

Unread 11/12/2017, 08:50 PM   #5
StormySea
Registered Member

I can say the only thing that may have spooked him is that cleaner shrimp is 3x his size and a real pig for his food. I saw jumping out of the shrimp’s way and now it’s molting behind the rock but the poor little goby hasn’t emerged.

Unread 11/13/2017, 07:48 AM   #6
schnebbles
Registered Member

I got one and never saw it again I'm sure it's not in my tank and I don't have a sump so IDK what happened to it.

schnebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2017, 12:53 PM   #7
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

A famous hider...don't get discouraged yet.....if ammonia stayed zero, and he's not on the floor...had one reappear a month after losing him....he had made this little cave in behind my live rock, and still there today!

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2017, 06:17 PM   #8
ROB2005
Reefing Is My Passion!

Pair him up with a Tiger Pistol Shrimp and I can guarantee you he will be out a little more. Only caveat is that if they build a burrow that is hidden away from the front of the tank

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon corner overflow, 4-54W T-5 , dozen blue hermits, tiger pistol/yellow watchman goby, royal gramma, banghai and pajama cardinals
ROB2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2017, 07:54 PM   #9
StormySea
Registered Member

Thanks all! Update is that I did a water change today and sand cleaning. While I was it, I cleaned all 3 compartments in the back. No goby!

I took Uncle’s advice and did an ammonia test: zero and zero nitrates too.

It’s the darndest thing! I’m hoping for the cave in the big rock idea and will let you know if I find the little bugger. Thanks again!

Unread 11/14/2017, 02:53 AM   #10
jonto
Registered Member

I thought mine was a gonner. After 4 weeks he showed up around the corner again. He's still kicking. Wish I could get him to come out front.

jonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 08:43 AM   #11
Rover88
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormySea View Post
Thanks all! Update is that I did a water change today and sand cleaning. While I was it, I cleaned all 3 compartments in the back. No goby!

I took Uncle’s advice and did an ammonia test: zero and zero nitrates too.

It’s the darndest thing! I’m hoping for the cave in the big rock idea and will let you know if I find the little bugger. Thanks again!
I have one, and the adoreable little guy snuck into my overflow today. Yesterday I moved him from the 30 to the 75 gallon, and I lost him in rock. I took all the rock out of my 30 and /carefully/ inspected it for hitchikers. Laid it out and drilled it, assembled with acyrlic, then put it into the 75.

.... 'Lo and behold, the little bastard somehow snuck into the 75. He hung out in the rock waiting until I was done before emerging ahead of schedule. He just wanted to be first!

In the first few weeks I had him he literally disappeared /into/ the rock. I had only a 30 gallon tank with zero overflows, sump, or anything to hide in. Just rock. He wormed so deep into the rocks I never caught sight of him for a full week, not even with feeding. But then one day he was fine and cruising around and perching on things.

So be patient! He might pop out yet.

Rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 02:37 PM   #12
Sk8r
RC Mod

I had a ywg disappear for a year: he'd been denning at the back of the tank.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 06:24 PM   #13
nanosteve309
Registered Member

StormySea I wouldn't move the rock to find him, you might accidentally hurt him in the process.

nanosteve309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 07:46 PM   #14
Jakermelon
Registered Member

I got one about three and a half months ago and the same thing has happened and has never showed back up. No bones no body no remains what so ever so I can totally relate it's quite baffling because at the time when he disappeared I had nothing that would eat him... Of course now I have crabs and a nem so I guess I may never know what happened.... Keep us posted

Current Tank Info: 32g biocube
Jakermelon is offline   Reply With Quote