Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/19/2019, 06:49 PM   #1
salty55
Registered Member

Plywood tank epoxy

I’m in the planning stages of building a large plywood tank. Im currently trying to decide which epoxy I want to use. It seems like west system sweetwater epoxy and pond armour seem to be the most popular choices. Has anyone had any experience with this product? https://pentairaes.com/epoxy-paint-kits.html
It seems to be a good bang for the buck. Especially with the amount of product that you get.

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon display, 20 gallon sump, 20 gallon display fuge, vertex IN100 skimmer, apex, tunze 6055x2, tlc kalkreactor/phosreactor, APEX controlled LED
salty55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2019, 07:27 PM   #2
CyclistMT
More Idiot Than Savant

Epoxy paint can work well, especially for smaller tanks. I used epoxy paint on my 150 years ago. If you have something bigger in mind, you might look at US Composites. That's what I used 8 years ago on my 300 and it was inexpensive and has held up well. 635 resin with slow hardener and color.

http://www.uscomposites.com/

My thread has links to many other plywood builds too.

CyclistMT's 300 Gal Plywood and Glass Build

Unread 02/20/2019, 12:13 PM   #3
salty55
Registered Member

Thanks for the info, cyclist. Did I read your thread correct? You didn’t use any fiberglass, just the epoxy pour method?

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon display, 20 gallon sump, 20 gallon display fuge, vertex IN100 skimmer, apex, tunze 6055x2, tlc kalkreactor/phosreactor, APEX controlled LED
Unread 02/20/2019, 06:26 PM   #4
CyclistMT
More Idiot Than Savant

Correct, no fiberglass. I used the "pour method" for the epoxy instead of brushing it on. Takes longer but WAY better I think. Will give you like a 1/4" epoxy layer on the inside of the tank and a lot of peace of mind.

Unread 02/20/2019, 06:36 PM   #5
outssider
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclistMT View Post
Correct, no fiberglass. I used the "pour method" for the epoxy instead of brushing it on. Takes longer but WAY better I think. Will give you like a 1/4" epoxy layer on the inside of the tank and a lot of peace of mind.
Way back in 1969/70 (when I was a teenager) I built a 50 and 75 gallon plywood tank using finishing resin and blue pigment, poured one side at a time ...worked great !!

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal. Mixed reef mostly sps
outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2019, 07:25 PM   #6
salty55
Registered Member

thats one of the many decisions that are plaguing me. some people don't use fiberglass, some fiberglass the entire tank, some some people only fiberglass the corners (which I don't fully see the benefit of the latter)

Unread 02/20/2019, 07:42 PM   #7
salty55
Registered Member

I guess I should share a little info on my intended tank build. The tank is going to be 92" long, 48" deep and 24" tall. It will be a "dropoff" style tank with the shallow end being around 16" deep and with a span of 3' of the tank. The tank will also be placed on a short stand appx 12" tall so the tank can be viewed top down, along with viewable from two sides.

Unread 02/21/2019, 12:01 AM   #8
CyclistMT
More Idiot Than Savant

This is why I don't think you need fiberglass. (If you can't see the photo, you might need an extension for Chrome that shows Photobucket items.)

If you pour the epoxy (in 3 coats) you can get a nice thick, bulletproof layer. Even if your tank is 48" deep in the drop off, I don't think you'll have any problems. You can pour the corners too like I did. If you could see this in person you'd understand. There is no need for the mess, fuss, and extra work of fiberglass.

Unread 02/21/2019, 07:51 AM   #9
salty55
Registered Member

How many gallons did you use to achieve that thickness?

Unread 02/21/2019, 07:51 PM   #10
CyclistMT
More Idiot Than Savant

Looking back at my calculations, I was going for a 1/8" layer so 5 gals resin and 2.5 gal hardener. Obviously that particular pour was a little more and I think I ended up getting another gal or 2 of epoxy by the time I was done. At any rate, here is the calculation.

Conversion for cubic inches to gallons is 0.004329004.

So for my bottom it worked out like this:
48*60= 2880 square inches
3880*.0125 (1/8" pour) = 360 cubic inches
360*0.004329004 = 1.56 gals