Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/20/2007, 10:21 PM   #1
i2ik
Registered Member

600 Gallons System - i2ik's Journal

Been going on this section for at less the last 8 months and now I got the chance to be part of it I have been admiring lots of tanks here and keep on learning everyday!

In a couple of days, i should be getting my tank from Aquarium Obsessed with those dimension: 96x36x28 with an external overflow bow including 4 holes for the overflow box. The front panel is made with true PPG Starfire 3/4" glass. There is no hole in the tank as i want to keep it simple this time and not go the closed loop way. The stand is made with 2" square beam and its 42" high so the tank will sit at my eye's height. I still need to put 2 jackpost in the garage, so until then, the tank wont get fill up.

Here's some picture taken at Aquarium Obsessed place:

Current Tank Info: 600G system in the remaking, back to square one, learning in process!
i2ik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2007, 10:37 PM   #2
i2ik
Registered Member

Here's a picture of the stand:

The stand is having a membrane all around it so in case of a flood, the water wont get on the floor and cause trouble. Once the cover will be put on, we wont be able to see it anymore.

Happened before with my last tank and my parents was not happy at all. This membrane helped me convincing them having a new tank in a kind of way

Here's my skimmers:

Those are 2 models of the H&S A200-2x1260. I had one of these on my 180G and could not be happier! Saw a good deal for getting a second one and decided that it would be good for this new system. I made 4 overflows so each skimmer could have their own overflow and i will be able to control the flow in. The other 2 overflows will go directly in the refugium or frag tank. I still can decided if i wanna go with a refugium or a frag tank...

Current Tank Info: 600G system in the remaking, back to square one, learning in process!
Unread 02/20/2007, 11:00 PM   #3
E-A-G-L-E-S
Registered Member

Awesome tank!!

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
E-A-G-L-E-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2007, 11:04 PM   #4
ga_reefer_guy
Registered Member

Looks like one sweet tank you got in the making.

"It takes time to succeed because success is merely the natural reward of taking the time to do anything well"

Current Tank Info: 55 gal freswater, Starting first reef slooooooooowly
ga_reefer_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2007, 11:11 PM   #5
bundy13
Registered Member

great tank

do you mind me asking what you paid for it?
also was it custom made
and how long did they take to build

thats the exact same tank im looking into thanks
good luck

bundy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2007, 12:09 AM   #6
TandN
Registered Member.

I wish I could even fit that in my house

TandN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2007, 09:48 AM   #7
ssbreef
Registered Member

LOOKING GOOD RICHARD!!

Current Tank Info: 180g inwall SPS, 225G Softy
ssbreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2007, 10:48 AM   #8
i2ik
Registered Member

Thanks guys! I have been waiting a few months to planned everything and i just cant wait to fill it and do the aquascape!

bundy13 - Check your PM

Unread 02/21/2007, 12:25 PM   #9
invincible569
Registered Member

NICE!! I wanted to do the dual skimmers too.. but couldnt pass up a good deal on one big one. I cant wait to see how your dual skimmers run simultaneously. Your tank and stand look great! Keep the pics coming

invincible569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2007, 02:49 PM   #10
triggerfish1976
Registered Member

I love the external overflow. I did the same on my 600 and it works great.
Nice setup, I can't wait to see how it looks when it is setup.

triggerfish1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2007, 03:04 PM   #11
i2ik
Registered Member

Edward, having 1 skimmer have its advantage also. Even now, i am still confused if i made the right decision. Having 2 skimmers means twice the work, having to check both skimmers and collection cups, but it let me have the option to have one wet, and one dry. I wanted to get a BK300 at first, but i believe having those 2 skimmers will be a good thing too! I guess i will wait until both of them are working and see how it goes. I saw in your thread if i am not mistaken that you went with an Euro- Reef RC500, those a very nice skimmer!

Triggerfish1976 - Do you have a picture of your setup so i can see how you did it?

The tank is in the city, just taking arrangement for a date of delivery!!!

Unread 02/21/2007, 06:54 PM   #12
bundy13
Registered Member

got it

thanks for yor time good luck

bundy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2007, 07:56 PM   #13
mike660r
Registered Member

Man, that is a beautiful tank. Keep those pics coming.

mike660r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2007, 08:01 PM   #14
i2ik
Registered Member

Thanks Mike, will sure do!

Unread 02/21/2007, 09:42 PM   #15
triggerfish1976
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by i2ik
Edward, having 1 skimmer have its advantage also. Even now, i am still confused if i made the right decision. Having 2 skimmers means twice the work, having to check both skimmers and collection cups, but it let me have the option to have one wet, and one dry. I wanted to get a BK300 at first, but i believe having those 2 skimmers will be a good thing too! I guess i will wait until both of them are working and see how it goes. I saw in your thread if i am not mistaken that you went with an Euro- Reef RC500, those a very nice skimmer!

Triggerfish1976 - Do you have a picture of your setup so i can see how you did it?

The tank is in the city, just taking arrangement for a date of delivery!!!
I posted pics on this thread of the setup since the original poster was setting up a similar tank and here are some close ups of the overflow. I wanted the external overflow to maximize the efficiency of my Tunze Waveboxes.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...5&pagenumber=4

Unread 02/21/2007, 10:09 PM   #16
i2ik
Registered Member

Nice tank triggerfish1976, i was wondering if you have any sound issue with your overflow. I was thinking putting some durso standpipe, but if you are having your tank without noise problem, maybe its not needed.

How do you like your wavebox? is there anything you would reconsidered if you got the chance?

For the return pump, it will be a Dart pump. I am thinking on having my return pump on an OM 4 way. What do you guys think? will the flow in my sump is constant with an OM on my return?

Unread 02/22/2007, 08:41 AM   #17
triggerfish1976
Registered Member

Quote:
Nice tank triggerfish1976, i was wondering if you have any sound issue with your overflow. I was thinking putting some durso standpipe, but if you are having your tank without noise problem, maybe its not needed.

How do you like your wavebox? is there anything you would reconsidered if you got the chance?
Thanks.
It was noisy at first but I installed Durso's recently and it is now practically silent.
I love the waveboxes. I am actually running three of them and it is great to watch the coral polyps and some of the fish rock back and forth with the wave. The corals seem to love the motion.

The only thing I regret about the tank is not going with a bigger return pump. I have a Sequence Barracuda and I don't think it is enough flow. I plan on eventually changing it to a Hammerhead.

Unread 02/22/2007, 09:45 AM   #18
i2ik
Registered Member

Thanks!

I was also thinking of putting 2 wavebox on each side, but i am still not sure about it. I am getting 4 vortech pump and already have 2 wavy sea for my return which is a Dart. I am thinking about getting an OM 4 way for my return, dunno if its a good idea to keep my overflow constant. If possible, i might get 2 more wavy sea, if not, might put some tunze on them, but not sure about liking to see it in the tank.

My tank is 420G, i guess i could still keep the dart as my return pump, afraid of having bubble problem with too much flow in my sump.

Still deciding if i should get a refugium or frag tank.

Unread 02/22/2007, 09:55 AM   #19
triggerfish1976
Registered Member

I had some micro bubble issues at first but I started using filter socks and it fixed that problem. Unless you put controllers on the Vortechs I would not recommend waveboxes. They do not work as efficiently as I would like when you have a large amount of constant flow in the tank. It tends to interupt the wave frequency, especially on longer tanks.

Unread 02/22/2007, 10:10 AM   #20
i2ik
Registered Member

Thank you again! OK so no waveboxes. I will have 2 batteries back up for the vortech so i will be able to get them to run at 50% and 100% for now until the controller hit the market.

I would like to know the idea of having an OM on a return pump, what do you guys think?

Unread 02/22/2007, 11:50 AM   #21
250G
Registered Member

Re: 600 Gallons System - i2ik's Journal

When did PPG start shipping 3/4" staphire? Or is this laminated to make 3/4" I thought only Torrenston (sp?) only made low iron glass thicher than 12mm?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by i2ik
[B] The front panel is made with true PPG Starfire 3/4" glass.

Current Tank Info: 90G SPS Starphire peninsula
250G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2007, 11:51 AM   #22
250G
Registered Member

Re: 600 Gallons System - i2ik's Journal

When did PPG start shipping 3/4" staphire? Or is this 2 pieces laminated to make 3/4"? I thought only Torrenston (sp?) was one of the only companies that currently manufacture low iron glass thicher than 12mm?

Quote:
The front panel is made with true PPG Starfire 3/4" glass.

Current Tank Info: 90G SPS Starphire peninsula
250G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2007, 12:17 PM   #23
Ginzo
Registered Member

Wow !

Can't wait to see the progress of your tank i2ik !

Went to WorldFish on the weekend and I saw your old cube tank

This one is going to be awesome, no doubt !

P.S.: When I buy a house in a couple of years, you'll be ready to sell me your 600g tank right

Last edited by Ginzo; 02/22/2007 at 12:36 PM.
Ginzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2007, 12:23 PM   #24
i2ik
Registered Member

250G - AO just recently was able to start producing PPG 3/4" starfire. It was no bigger than 1/2" before as you mentionned. For more details, maybe someone from AO could tell you more I was a lucky one. At first it was going to be low iron glass, but Will told me that he could now get a 3/4" starfire glass for my tank so i could not refuse

Ginzo - Thanks! My cube is going Zeovit very soon About the tank, we will see in a couple of years

Tank is supposed to arrive at 17:30, i will be posting for sure when i got the chance!

Unread 02/22/2007, 03:13 PM   #25
DARKPHREAK
Registered Member

Looking forward to seeing your build Richard!

DARKPHREAK is offline   Reply With Quote