Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/09/2018, 11:24 AM   #1
CA_128
Registered Member

Hammer/Torch coral not opening up?

Hello, I've dabbled a bit with corals in the past, but they were generally just soft corals. I recently found some success with a frag so I thought I might try my hand at a hammer coral as I've always liked them, and my father likes the torch coral so I decided to go for them both. They were doing excellent and then I accidentally left the light on while I went on vacation. I came back and they were alive (It was 3 days, so I kind of expected them to be dead) but barely. I quickly turned the light off and checked on all of my fish. So ever since then, they never quite rebounded, they haven't shrunk, but they never seem to open as much as they were, and the hammer has now lost the smaller of its heads. I've always had them on the sand as I'm too scared to take them off of the little clay dish they are on, and glue them onto the rocks as I fear I'd kill it. Anyways, paramaters. Ammonia and Nitrite, zero, Calcium was a bit high around the 500s. And I don't have a nitrate test kit (hoping to get one soon) but I've done my water changes including a 25% just yesterday because I'm scared to death of losing the corals. In terms of dosing, every now and then I do a two part and trace elements, but since I only have 3 corals, I didn't feel it would be necessary to do it every other day. So I guess my question is, do you guys have any guess or advice as to how to help my corals.

CA_128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2018, 02:19 PM   #2
jmareef1022
Registered Member

I would move it and place it in a shaded area with low flow and let him be and recover.

Jose

jmareef1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2018, 12:22 PM   #3
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

i didn't see anything about your alkalinity in your post.

i have tended to find that keeping a good, stable level of alkalinity can be very helpful when it comes to LPS polyp expansion.

i've also found that an auto top off goes a long way with keeping corals happy.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2018, 12:48 PM   #4
JordyRoo
Registered Member

Dependant on how big your system is, if you only have the 3 corals i wouldnt bother dosing at the moment, just keep up with regular water changes (10% weekly). How big is the system & what are the other params like?

Alk, Cal, Mag, Nitrate, Temp, Salinity?

JordyRoo is offline   Reply With Quote