Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/14/2017, 07:28 PM   #26
Pife
Registered Member

Picture of cyano.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2017, 05:21 AM   #27
Alfrareef
Registered Member

Maybe you should start slowly. Half reduction?

Alfrareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2017, 09:54 AM   #28
codydemmel4
Registered Member

i want to follow along on here too.

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Link to my tank: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618245
codydemmel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2017, 10:32 AM   #29
illumnae
Registered Member

Pife, I have a few thoughts about your cyano.

First, your tank looks rather new. Cyano could well be part of the initial stabilisation of your tank, especially if you started with dead rock. When I first rebooted my tank, prior to starting Reef Actif, I had cyano appear for a couple of weeks as well.

I note from your thread that you're dosing some other supplements as well, notably Coral v and Fish v from Aquaforest. I've personally never noticed anything good from either of those products when using them and have since thrown them away. If you like the brand, I have found Micro E helps in getting rid of cyano. Otherwise, Tropic Marin A- and K+ Elements works as well when dosed in a ratio of higher A and lower K. The theory is that higher manganese to iron ratio causes cyano to get "poisoned". I read this off biggles' thread.

What are your nutrient levels? If you've got low nitrates and higher phosphates, that may be the cause of cyano. Carbon dosing on top of that could make it worse.

I don't think Reef Actif is the cause of your cyano.

illumnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2017, 11:24 AM   #30
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
Pife, I have a few thoughts about your cyano.

First, your tank looks rather new. Cyano could well be part of the initial stabilisation of your tank, especially if you started with dead rock. When I first rebooted my tank, prior to starting Reef Actif, I had cyano appear for a couple of weeks as well.

I note from your thread that you're dosing some other supplements as well, notably Coral v and Fish v from Aquaforest. I've personally never noticed anything good from either of those products when using them and have since thrown them away. If you like the brand, I have found Micro E helps in getting rid of cyano. Otherwise, Tropic Marin A- and K+ Elements works as well when dosed in a ratio of higher A and lower K. The theory is that higher manganese to iron ratio causes cyano to get "poisoned". I read this off biggles' thread.

What are your nutrient levels? If you've got low nitrates and higher phosphates, that may be the cause of cyano. Carbon dosing on top of that could make it worse.

I don't think Reef Actif is the cause of your cyano.
My DT is new. It has been only set up for 8 weeks. It was however tied into a 3 year old larger system in my basement.

I keep my phosphates at .02 ppm. I'm trying to lower my nitrates from 5. I think it is just a bacteria out of balance thing. It could also be flow related in my DT. With how little there is it will be gone before to long. I might put a little micro e in just to expedite the process.

I believe I have noticed dramatic changes from dosing both products but I am willing to stop for a month and see.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Unread 08/17/2017, 05:20 PM   #31
reefmutt
Registered Member

Keep in mind that there is copper in micro e, so not a product you want to overdose too much.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2017, 08:42 PM   #32
Pife
Registered Member

So I decided to stay on track with the 3 spoonfuls a week. I dosed my 2nd yesterday. Cyano is very limited. I increased the turn over in my display tonight. I also rebuilt another mp40 so I'm sure it will take care of the flow issues. I will test nutrients this weekend and post them.

Unread 08/18/2017, 01:16 AM   #33
Alfrareef
Registered Member

Following

Unread 08/19/2017, 04:13 PM   #34
marthin
Registered Member

Been using for absolute years and it makes my water super clear.. since my crash (very sore subject and silly mistake of not reading up about given cucumber and their toxins) my tank is running almost too clean as I went from 27 fish to now 12.. many very small.
I still do it once a week and I personally love the results.. just be wary of light shock as it surely does create a massively clear water space

marthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2017, 04:16 PM   #35
Pife
Registered Member

The day after dosing I have had an increase of cyano on my sand again.

Unread 08/21/2017, 06:36 PM   #36
codydemmel4
Registered Member

any updates for anyone? I just got mine and was wondering how much do you guys recommend I dose once a week?

Also do you think it is better to dose only once a week or maybe 2-3 times a week? Also when does it make sense to dose when I do water changes? Directly after?

I do water changes once a week

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Unread 08/22/2017, 06:58 PM   #37
Pife
Registered Member

Just tested nutrients and they are a little less than 5 on nitrates and .04 on p04s. I have seen nothing note worthy from dosing yet.

Cody I'm starting by dosing half the minimum recommended for my system.

Unread 08/27/2017, 05:57 PM   #38
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

If you are dosing Reef Actif, can you please observe your fish and note this product's impact on their health (positive or negative)?

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2017, 08:06 PM   #39
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
If you are dosing Reef Actif, can you please observe your fish and note this product's impact on their health (positive or negative)?
I have seen no positive or negative impact on my fish. I will observe them immediately after dosing.

Unread 08/28/2017, 12:42 AM   #40
illumnae
Registered Member

I've been dosing it for a month and don't notice any impact on the health of my fishes.

Unread 08/28/2017, 12:56 AM   #41
kainic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
I've been dosing it for a month and don't notice any impact on the health of my fishes.
Neither do I after 3 doses at 1/3 the recommended dose.
Bülent, are you asking due to a bad experience with it?

"Every man can be, if he tries, sculptor of his own brain", Santiago Ramón y Cajal
kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2017, 06:23 AM   #42
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Hi everyone,

I have just posted some FAQs about Reef Actif in my tank thread. I think answers provided by Herr Balling are very useful:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1168

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2017, 06:28 PM   #43
dartier
Registered Member

I started using this on my frag tank to see if it had any effect on nutrients and coral health. As everyone else has mentioned, lots of polyp extension right after dosing, and I think more polyp extension days following. I am only using a 1/4 of a teaspoon full every 3 days.

I noticed other people mentioning markings on the spoon ... is their a spoon in the container? I am using my own as I did not see one.

Also I had to order it through Amazon, not easily found in Canada, and the item that arrived just before the end of August has a best before date of 8/17. Anyone know if this stuff actually goes bad?

I have to find a better local source for this.

Dennis

Current Tank Info: 560G Miracles tank in progress, 80Frag Temporary
dartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2017, 07:56 PM   #44
Pife
Registered Member

Premium aquatics is the best price I found. There was a graduated spoon in my container.

Unread 09/03/2017, 02:47 AM   #45
illumnae
Registered Member

There was a spoon in mine but it is unmarked

Unread 09/03/2017, 02:29 PM   #46
Alfrareef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
Hi everyone,

I have just posted some FAQs about Reef Actif in my tank thread. I think answers provided by Herr Balling are very useful:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1168

Yes, very useful.
Going to study a little more about it.

Unread 09/15/2017, 10:41 AM   #47
codydemmel4
Registered Member

any updates from people using this?

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Unread 09/16/2017, 11:30 AM   #48
illumnae
Registered Member

I'm probably at about 6 weeks of dosing half the recommended dose (1/4 spoon 3x a week on my 180 gallon). Last week I experienced a growth spurt in my tank. I had my calcium reactor tuned to maintain my kh at about 7 when overnight it dropped to 6.1. I've since been tuning my calcium reactor and finally achieved stable kh again. I estimate I doubled the flow rate and bubble count to achieve the new equilibrium point. I have noticed colours in my SPS improve over the past 3 months. Most of my SPS are wild colonies and these tend to brown out when making the trip from the LFS to my tank. There's still lots of room for more improvement, but I think that there's barely any brown left in my tank.

There have been no changes to husbandry and I dose nothing but bottled bacteria and TM products (A-, K+, Bacto Balance, Reef Actif and Reef Mud Vital). I use Fauna Marin salt but will switch to TM Bio Activ salt once my last 2 pails of FM salt finish.

Unread 09/17/2017, 01:40 AM   #49
kainic
Registered Member

I'm in my 6th week, dosing half the recommended dose (1/2 spoon) and I've seen an increase in my corals growth and polyp extension. No change in nitrates nor glass cleaning frequency.
I think it's a product that doesn't impact your reef in a way you would say "WOW" but it definetely has an impact on the general health of my tank.

"Every man can be, if he tries, sculptor of his own brain", Santiago Ramón y Cajal
kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2017, 06:25 PM   #50
codydemmel4
Registered Member

I am thinking about starting this this week. I have had it for awhile but have not used it yet.

Do you guys think it is best to just dose half the amount once a week or split it up more and do like 1/4 twice a week?

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Tags
reef actif, tropic marin