Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/02/2020, 01:09 PM   #1
loganlemaster
Registered Member

Looking for some input

Hey guys I have a light intensity question. I’m starting to keep sps ( grafted monti cap and green slimmer). Right now my parameters are nitrate undetectable as well as phosphate. That being said I have one rock with some hair algae which is affecting those test results. The tank was full of it but over the past couple months I have cleaned sump completely and doing 10 percent water changes and vacuuming sand bed I’ve got this stuff beat down to one rock. The algae is not growing but not quite fading away yet. My green slimmer frag has been in the tank for a month and is growing well, really encrusting, I just added the monti because I’m feeling good about the way things are going. I’m keeping alk stable at 8.2. My par levels at the slimer are 300-350 and at the monti cap about400-450 (leds). I feel like my colors are light pastel. I’m not feeding the corals. System total water volume is 60 gallon and I have three small fish, that are fed lightly once a day. Would lowering my light intensity help to darken the coral colors? Should I feed heavier? Thanks in advance for any advice!

loganlemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2020, 12:02 AM   #2
mansorinc
Registered Member

I would feed your system more, you need some nitrates and phosphates. I would recommend phosphates to be at around .03 and nitrates at about 5ppm. Your sps might be starving and with a little nitrates and phosphates you should start to see more color

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mansorinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2020, 09:04 PM   #3
drs2140
Registered Member

Feed the fish heavy to boost up the available nutriebts

drs2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2020, 02:16 PM   #4
waterman78
Registered Member

From my experience, deeper colors in montipora corals are usually the results of nutrient rich waters and stable Alk/Ca/Mg base. Do you have a thick encrusting coralline algae? I would aim at growing this algae before worrying about the corals.

For lighting intensity.... if you have a large enough piece, place a small frag lower in the display to compare on par readings and color depth.

Again....this is only my suggestion and opinion. Happy reefing.

- Larry

Current Tank Info: Reef: 40g breeder with a Aquamaxx HOB skimmer, 250w MH pendant and a 1/10hp chiller.
waterman78 is offline   Reply With Quote