Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/22/2011, 02:05 PM   #1
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

BUILDING A DREAM....SPS Dominated Tank build

Hello fellow reefers!!

Hope my message finds ya all in the best of reefing times

I would like present to the reefing community my humble reef tank build...planning for a SPS dominated reef setup.

I am not building a tank....but building a dream and hoping to make it a reality.

At the outset i wanna thank Mr. Chingchai for his awesomeness, his inspiration and kind response to my queries, and also Bo from SI-AM Ocean, who was very helpful and has amazing product support., thanks buddy Bo!
Ivy, from E-Shine for her support too.

And to my wife for her understanding and support to me in this never ending and continuing passion of mine

MY TANK DETAILS:

DIY 105cm L x 51cm W x 54cm H

All sides made using low iron glass (from Belgium), 10mm thickness, with a single hole with acrylic overflow and bulkhead drain fitting.

Custom built canopy with built in fans (Taiwan) x 2

Custom built stand.

Custom built Power center.

EQUIPMENT LIST:

Reef Octopus sump with built in skimmer powered by a 1000 L/H needle wheel Reef Octopus pump.

Sicce multi return pump.

Phosphate reactor (Kent Nautilus) fed by RIO pump.

Carbon reactor (Kent Nautilus) fed by RIO pump.

SI-AM Kalkwasser reactor.

Ginko Sea (Thailand) Auto-top up coupled with Aquamedic dosing pump, which will feed the Kalk reactor.

6 stage RO/DI unit (U.S.A)

Sand from Philippines. I love this sand for its aesthetic value, and i have planned for a shallow sand bed design for my tank.

Aquascaped using Dry rock from Indonesia. I am planning to seed with premium Fiji live rock and live sand from an estabilished reef tank. I am doing this to avoid introduction of unwanted critters etc, prevention is better than cure

Water flow/Circulation:

Hydor Korallia - Evolution wave makers, which will be on timers to provide random chaotic flow.
RR wavemaker (Singapore) with wavecontroller.
X wave 360 degree rotary device (Hong kong) with wave control, which will be connected to the water return.

Lighting:
LED FIXTURE : 2 fixtures custom made with Cree LEDs 60 watts each (totalling 120 watts)

Supplemented by:
2 x T8 LED tube custom colour spectrum
2 x T5 LED tube 420nM Actinic spectrum

FUTURE PLANS:
ZeoVit.
Skimmer upgrade.
RGB LED lightstrip to enhance coral colouration.
Automatic dosing of 2 part Alk and Calcium.
Aquarium Controller.
Live Cam for remote internet monitoring.

Some teaser pics...hope you enjoy....

2 X T5 Actinic LED tubes...ON

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010080.jpg (46.3 KB, 2421 views)

BUILDING A DREAM....SPS Dominated 105cm x 51cm x 54cm (Low Iron Belgian Glass)....Please visit my homepage for build thread.

LED Lighting (CREE Main Unit 60w x2, T5 and T8 LED tubes), LED RGB-P Light bar, DIY Sump, Bubble King 180 Gen.2 Skimmer, TECO TR15 Chiller, Sicce Multi Return pump, X-Wave Rotary Device, Vortech MP40 ES, Hydor Korallia Wavemakers(2800 x2, 4000 x2), RR Wavemaker, 2x Nano Wavemakers, SIAM Ocean Media Reactor, Kent Phosphate Reactor, 6 Stage RO/DI unit, Ginko Sea Auto-top System.

Current Tank Info: DREAM 1.0 is up and running..,DREAM 2.0 build is underway (Read on from Page 25)

Last edited by Reef_Noob; 05/22/2011 at 03:04 PM.
Reef_Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2011, 03:17 PM   #2
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

2 X T5 Actinic LED tubes + 2 x T8 LED tubes ...ON

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010082.jpg (66.0 KB, 1586 views)

BUILDING A DREAM....SPS Dominated 105cm x 51cm x 54cm (Low Iron Belgian Glass)....Please visit my homepage for build thread.

LED Lighting (CREE Main Unit 60w x2, T5 and T8 LED tubes), LED RGB-P Light bar, DIY Sump, Bubble King 180 Gen.2 Skimmer, TECO TR15 Chiller, Sicce Multi Return pump, X-Wave Rotary Device, Vortech MP40 ES, Hydor Korallia Wavemakers(2800 x2, 4000 x2), RR Wavemaker, 2x Nano Wavemakers, SIAM Ocean Media Reactor, Kent Phosphate Reactor, 6 Stage RO/DI unit, Ginko Sea Auto-top System.

Current Tank Info: DREAM 1.0 is up and running..,DREAM 2.0 build is underway (Read on from Page 25)
Unread 05/22/2011, 03:26 PM   #3
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

FULL TANK SHOTS WITH 2 X T5 Actinic LED tubes + 2 x T8 LED tubes ...ON

I am yet to install and test the main Cree LED fixtures....will post photos soon...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010084.jpg (78.1 KB, 1733 views)
File Type: jpg P1010085.jpg (78.4 KB, 1268 views)
File Type: jpg P1010086.jpg (75.4 KB, 1280 views)
File Type: jpg P1010089.jpg (81.7 KB, 1174 views)

Unread 05/22/2011, 06:52 PM   #4
Alkamist
Registered Member

wow very interesting scape i like those rocks your using there interesting looking unlike the boulder ones you see all the time.

Alkamist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2011, 04:54 AM   #5
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

thanks a lot Alkamist ...i am glad you like it...yes you are right ...i dint want a boulder look for this setup...i researched a lot regarding the natural lagoon, plateau, overhang type of natural reef scapes and had to wait long to find the right pieces of rocks from the local supplier to setup this aquascape and get as natural and aesthetic look i can get in a captive enviornment, with open spaces for fishes to swim and for coral to grow.....thats the plan

Unread 05/23/2011, 07:52 AM   #6
chingchai
Premium Member

Great start. Anup.
Please keep us updated.

P.S. You'd better use photobucket.com to post picture so everybody can see large size picture.

chingchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2011, 05:18 AM   #7
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingchai View Post
Great start. Anup.
Please keep us updated.

P.S. You'd better use photobucket.com to post picture so everybody can see large size picture.
thanks so much Chingchai.....i am glad and honoured that you visited my build thread...yes....i will upload more pics and stuff.....more bit of organizing to do on this set up...

Unread 05/25/2011, 11:17 AM   #8
Michael B
Registered Member

Great aquascaping and will be tagging along - also in the process of building a SPS dominated tank. If I may ask, will you be adding coralline algae to the tank & if so, how will you (see you also just using base rock - same as me)?

Thanks a million & keep us updated

Unread 05/25/2011, 02:27 PM   #9
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Great aquascaping and will be tagging along - also in the process of building a SPS dominated tank. If I may ask, will you be adding coralline algae to the tank & if so, how will you (see you also just using base rock - same as me)?

Thanks a million & keep us updated
hiya Michael,
Thanks for ur attention
Yes, the rock iv used was once live rock.....from indonesia,,,
Yes, adding coralline algae will not be a probelm at all...because i am going to seed the tank (once iv filled it with water) with 1 or 2 pieces of premium Fiji live rock, which i have already cured and is ready to go with a good variety of coralline algae...this will help seed the tank with live bacteria colony and also coralline algae and they will grow and spread fast to the other rocks and in matter of no time the right now "dead" rock will come ALIVE with bacteria and coralline algae.

Maintaining a stable and sufficient calcium level is the key...

Thanks again and you are welcome a million too

I will post some pics and updates in coming week, i am just waiting the arrival of some new equipment in couple of days time....

Unread 05/26/2011, 05:17 PM   #10
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Some more photos...

TANK, CANOPY AND STAND...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TCS.jpg (50.3 KB, 858 views)

Unread 05/26/2011, 05:21 PM   #11
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

X wave 360 degree water return
Korallia evolution 2800 left side and right side....

Controller for X Wave.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2800Left.jpg (47.8 KB, 775 views)
File Type: jpg 2800Right.jpg (32.3 KB, 555 views)
File Type: jpg Controller X Wave.jpg (40.9 KB, 546 views)

Last edited by Reef_Noob; 05/26/2011 at 05:33 PM.
Unread 05/26/2011, 05:30 PM   #12
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

FANS....

one on the right and another one on the left side....at the back of the tank...allowing for some surface cooling plus keeping the LEDs cool...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010103.jpg (32.0 KB, 381 views)
File Type: jpg 2800Right.jpg (32.3 KB, 350 views)

Unread 05/26/2011, 09:09 PM   #13
Dynamic_Reef
Registered Member

looking good! keep us updated!

Current Tank Info: 210 aga sps dominant, 3-400 w radiums, 4- ati bulbs 60" , tunze wavebox
Dynamic_Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2011, 10:18 PM   #14
Michael B
Registered Member

Many thanks for the reply - appreciate it (updates looking good)

Unread 05/26/2011, 11:51 PM   #15
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Thanks Dynamic and Micheal.....yup stuff progressing ....slow....but steady will be updating soon.... thanks again for following.

Unread 05/27/2011, 06:14 AM   #16
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Wave setup

Hydor Koralia Evolution Pumps (New Version)

2800 x 2
4000 x 3

[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 05/27/2011, 06:20 AM   #17
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Return Pump (SICCE Multi) with Rotary device AND Reactor with Rio (TAAM) pump

Unread 05/27/2011, 06:24 AM   #18
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Kalkwasser Dosing Setup

Kalkwasser Powder (Aquamedic)
Kalkwasser Reactor (SI-AM)
Dosing pump (Aquamedic)
Auto top up system (Ginko)

Unread 05/27/2011, 06:28 AM   #19
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Additives

Unread 05/27/2011, 06:30 AM   #20
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Media

Unread 05/27/2011, 06:31 AM   #21
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Dosing

Unread 05/27/2011, 06:32 AM   #22
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Nutrition

Unread 05/27/2011, 06:34 AM   #23
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Miscellaneous....

Unread 05/27/2011, 06:50 AM   #24
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

T5 Actinics Only

Unread 05/27/2011, 06:53 AM   #25
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

T5 LED Actinics x 2 plus T8 LED 16,000K x 2

Shots of the Central TRIPOD

Tags
bubble king skimmer, reef_noob, sps tank build