Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/04/2018, 08:48 PM   #1
WifiDan
Registered Member

Jumping back in with a 220 gallon build

Thanks for checking in with me as I try to document my journey back down the rabbit hole! We took a couple years away from the hobby and spent some time off the grid far up the mountains fighting solar panels and 3.5 foot snow drifts we decided to move back a little closer to town were we have main power and a road close by! I'm sure we will be putting solar in next year but having the main power is really a beautiful thing especially when trying to keep a reef tank regulated haha. We previously had a 120 gallon tall tank and several 75 gallon tanks and different bio cubes all setup. I told myself next time I would do it a little differently next time if possible. Mainly no more hoses draining the tanks run through the house into my sons bathtub and filling buckets in my office to lift over my head into the tank! No more!
Planning to automate as much as I can and build a fairly intelligent system. So here it goes!

WifiDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2018, 08:55 PM   #2
WifiDan
Registered Member

We picked a wall in the living room that was 80" wide. We went back and forth for days between a 84" and 72" tank. A tank that sticks out 2 inches on each side wont be ugly right? Ultimately reason won over and due to needing to walk by the tank on both sides we settled on a 72" system. After many sleepless nights on the forum and on craigslist we decided to buy a system new. We ordered through a local store and anxiously await it to be delivered.

Unread 12/04/2018, 09:21 PM   #3
WifiDan
Registered Member

While we wait I decide to build the mixing station and prepare as much as possible. I am not over an external wall with the tank so for peace of mind I put in some additional supports and the adjustable jacks. I ran a 3/4" pvc though the crawlspace from the tank to the garage where the mixing station is located. This will let me drain and fill from the salt water storage tank through the same pipe. I also didn't want to share the electrical circuit with the office or the vacuum cleaner in the living room. So here I go running 2 new 20amp circuits back to the panel. Overkill? Maybe that is what I should call the build.
Of course this means moving things around in the panel to make enough space for new breakers. Waiting on bulk RODI tubing and I will be running that under the house as well. I have a great little closet behind the tank so that will house all of the electrical equipment.

Unread 12/04/2018, 09:38 PM   #4
WifiDan
Registered Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 12/04/2018, 10:10 PM   #5
WifiDan
Registered Member

Tomorrows Project will be to move the Piano out and move the china hutch into the entry way to make room for the tank on that wall. Then to get the wiring up from the crawlspace into the closet and bring the 3/4" pipe in there as well. Just waiting for the RODI unit to come in so I can start leak testing the mixing station and making water! I'm very excited. Off to put together a wish list for the Apex system....

Unread 12/05/2018, 09:14 PM   #6
WifiDan
Registered Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Unread 12/28/2018, 07:25 PM   #7
WifiDan
Registered Member

It’s been a bit since I updated this. We placed the tank and the plumbing is all done! Now to start the cycling process. I finished running the dedicated outlets in the closet and I ran several holes through the wall where I can run the wires into the closet. Also finished the 1/2 pipe to the mixing station and the 1/4 lines. Still refining the stock list and I’ll get that posted when it gets a little closer. Spending the holidays on a beach on Mexico has given us some time to research the remaining equipment and fish. Here are some progress pics before we left.

Unread 12/28/2018, 10:03 PM   #8
Ajae
Registered Member

Looking good, I like you you used reason and planned everything out. Subbing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ajae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2018, 07:21 PM   #9
WifiDan
Registered Member

Thanks! I think I like the build process as much as the end product!

Unread 12/29/2018, 07:24 PM   #10
WifiDan
Registered Member

Ordered the lighting, aquarium controller and the wave makers. Wow it adds up! Also some extra heaters and stuffs for the quarantine tanks.

Unread 01/06/2019, 07:00 PM   #11
WifiDan
Registered Member

Somehow I went from 0 tanks to 5 tanks very quickly
We bought a established tank locally about two months ago to put into our bedroom and to help us not to rush the big tank.
I’ve been doing large water changes on it (30-40percent) weekly and I can’t get the nitrate to come down. We have 3 clown fish pretty small and two engineer gobies and a dozen cleanup crew in a 32 gallon bow front with 15 gallon refugium. I changed out all the filter pads yesterday and another large water change so I’ll be testing again to see if that will help.

Unread 01/06/2019, 07:05 PM   #12
WifiDan
Registered Member

We have been trying to decide on a corral tank in the kitchen and found the perfect fit! It’s a innovative marine 30l and I love the way it looks! SETI it up with some rock from the existing tank and added some ammonia to test.
36 hours in the 2ppm ammonia has gone to 1ppm but no nitrite? I’m starting to wonder if this “live rock” is only wet rock and no bio life to be found. Well this only means more patience as it builds the bio load up.