Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/14/2017, 02:04 PM   #1
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Feeding a Zebra Eel ....

.... or in my case, not feeding.

Bought a small (18") one from LA 2 1/2 weeks ago and have not observed it to eat anything. I have tried clams, krill, even silversides ..... nothing! Anyone with experience with this fish have any clever suggestions?

Not looking for any general 'use garlic' comments please ... those are not useful!

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2017, 02:07 PM   #2
anbosu
Registered Member

How are you introducing the food? Mine have always been fed with a stick or grabbers.

My current zebra, which I got at about 16", has never eaten anything other than shrimp. Often squid can entice a feeding reaction, even though I find zebras won't eat squid as readily as say a snowflake.

anbosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2017, 02:17 PM   #3
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Yes, on the end of a stick. Do you use store bought shrimp? I have been trying the large krill.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 09/14/2017, 02:24 PM   #4
LotsaTanks
Registered Member

I have a 3 foot zebra. He eats shrimp only, will not recognize anything else as food. Get smaller raw shrimp and take the shell off and slice it in strips. Dangle it in front of the eels face on the end of a feeding stick. That should work. After it is used to this, add a bit of selcon vitamins to the shrimp. Mine will not touch squid, fish, mussel, clams etc. I feed mine 3 large sliced shrimp twice a week. If the piece is too wide mine spits it up a while later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LotsaTanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2017, 03:05 PM   #5
anbosu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Yes, on the end of a stick. Do you use store bought shrimp? I have been trying the large krill.
Yes, I buy the raw frozen shrimp or fresh at the counter, whichever is cheaper.

Unread 09/14/2017, 03:07 PM   #6
anbosu
Registered Member

I will add that if I feed the other fish in my aquarium that will invoke a "hungry" response if he is interested in food at the moment. Generally with zebras if they aren't moving around looking for food they aren't going to eat. If you put some mysis into the tank early to pique the eel's interest it may help you get it to take prepared foods.

Unread 09/14/2017, 07:27 PM   #7
Mike Ordner
Registered Member

Same here with shrimp. The ones from the seafood market. I don't even take the shell off. Chop a shrimp in several pieces. Zebra eels are blind as a bat but can smell stuff from a mile away. I toss a couple of pieces in the tank and make the eel hunt for them. I am just the opposite feeding from the above post. Feed eel first so no other smells are in the tank, then feed the rest of the fish. I do have to use a rigid air hose to keep the other fish away from the shrimp until the ell finds it. They can go a long time between feeding. Good luck.

Mike Ordner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2017, 07:29 PM   #8
jmicky41
Registered Member

Years ago I bought one that refused to eat. After a month of trying, I bought 2 live fiddler crabs from the FW section of the fish store. By morning they were gone. That seemed to get the eel going and from then on it would take the usual krill, whole shrimp, squid etc.

Current Tank Info: 125 fowlr: 280watts VHO, 75LBS of mixed rock, Deltec AP600 skimmer, wet dry, GRi 518 return pump, 15 watt Aqua UV,(2) tunze 6000 on a 7095, goldflake angel(RIP), flame angel(8 years old), mitratus butterfly, yellow tang, majestic rabbitfsih
jmicky41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2017, 08:58 PM   #9
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Thanks folks, all very useful advice. Funny thing is I had a zebra some years ago that was easy to feed. Not this guy though. Will get some shrimp.

Unread 09/15/2017, 05:12 AM   #10
Cliving1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbosu View Post
I will add that if I feed the other fish in my aquarium that will invoke a "hungry" response if he is interested in food at the moment. Generally with zebras if they aren't moving around looking for food they aren't going to eat. If you put some mysis into the tank early to pique the eel's interest it may help you get it to take prepared foods.
This is a great point. Always made my previous eel start looking for a handout.

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2017, 08:46 AM   #11
hotelbravo
Registered Member

I had a zebra moray eel go almost 2 months without eating before finally I found the food that he couldn't resist - LRS Chunky.
before I tried LRS Chunky I tried fresh squid, LIVE squid, frozen shrimp as well as live shrimp (3-6 inch tiger shrimp not those tiny ghost shrimp), clam, oyster, and scallop. I wouldn't try to feed Silversides there are to many bad stories of them being spoiled during shipment and causing fish to get sick and/or die.

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon, 40b sump. 3x OR T247 lighting, Reef Octopus protein skimmer, phosban 550 reactor, tunze ato, gyre xf 150, 2x mag 9.5 returns.
hotelbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2017, 09:00 AM   #12
nereefpat
Registered Member

You could try some live ghost or peppermint shrimp.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2017, 06:44 PM   #13
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. Got a couple of frozen shrimp from the store and the eel ate a strip.

Unread 09/18/2017, 02:40 PM   #14
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Try crawfish too, I had one in the past that only wanted to eat live crawfish unless he was starved for several weeks then krill would suffice

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 09:45 PM   #15
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
Try crawfish too, I had one in the past that only wanted to eat live crawfish unless he was starved for several weeks then krill would suffice
Haven't seen u around much, all good I hope. Zebra is now taking shrimp strips consistently. Looks to be good to go.

Unread 09/22/2017, 05:33 AM   #16
Cliving1
Registered Member

Glad to hear. Now that its eating something consistently, soon you can branch out and vary its diet.

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 09:47 AM   #17
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Haven't seen u around much, all good I hope. Zebra is now taking shrimp strips consistently. Looks to be good to go.
Glad to hear it. My big tank got away from me because of lacking time and equipment going bad from a power outage/lightening strike. Currently revamping it and replacing some equipment. I will have things back to where I want them in a few months I hope.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Unread 09/22/2017, 04:59 PM   #18
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
<---killer, good to see you! you were missed by us dude.

Last edited by humaguy; 09/22/2017 at 05:05 PM.
humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 07:14 PM   #19
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Hey Ted, I have some serious catching up to do on your thread! Hope all is well with everyone

Unread 09/23/2017, 03:02 PM   #20
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Hey Ted, I have some serious catching up to do on your thread! Hope all is well with everyone
all is well, thanks... glad you are back!

humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote