Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/31/2007, 11:10 AM   #401
JackJack7
Registered Member

JackJack7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2007, 11:17 AM   #402
jnarowe
Registered Member

all I can say is Weld-On 40.

Current Tank Info: 70g fresh planted
jnarowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2007, 12:50 PM   #403
erics3000
Registered Member

It will need to be drained first??? That really sucks..If it is not under warranty Is it possible it can be reinforced as well. What do you guys mean the seam were stressed while taking it down stairs?

Hopefully you can work through this. It will be all the more sweeter in the end...

(Red House for my 300 display 600 system)

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon system with 300 display
erics3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2007, 01:31 PM   #404
cward
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by erics3000
What do you guys mean the seam were stressed while taking it down stairs?
I think he was referring to setting the tank on the side when taking it down the stairs. I know aquariums are designed for outward pressure on the seams, but I'm not sure on inward pressure. I'm certainly not an engineer or an aquarium designer, so I don't know what kind of stress that could have been put on a tank of that size. I've done it with a 120g glass tank with no problems, but that tank is 4 times the size and a whole lot more weight.

Any pics of the split yet?

Unread 07/31/2007, 04:28 PM   #405
jnarowe
Registered Member

yeah, post a pic so we can all analyze the crack and tell you what really happened!

Unread 07/31/2007, 05:16 PM   #406
asnatlas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cbui2
OMG thats crazy. how long its been setup?
I have been setup running with salt since about late Nov 06 I believe... I started filling it with RO back at the end of Feb 06 where the tank sat with water in for it close to 9 months due to family issues... So over all the tank has had water it in for close to 17 months...

Unread 07/31/2007, 05:19 PM   #407
asnatlas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
I just looked through the 16 pages of this particular split. It looks like you put water in the tank last November. Is the tank under warranty by any chance?

I might have missed it, but I didn't see any pictures of the tank with livestock in it over the past 7 months. I'm very sorry to hear about the leak. Hopefully it can be mended.
Back in Nov is where I started it up and running with salt, I had water in it for a good while before that... And no I never got any updated pics... WIth work and I didn't really do much with the tank, was nothing to really see... I still need to contact AO... But looking at his site I found the following :

Quote:
1 year Warranty included with all tanks
I got the tank is Jan 06...

Unread 07/31/2007, 05:22 PM   #408
asnatlas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
due, totally bummed to hear that especially after all the other issues you have had. Hopefully you can turn the corner.
I think when I figure out what to do and get around the corner, I am out of this hobby for a while... I can't keep taking this crap... I have learned alot in the past 2 yrs...

Unread 07/31/2007, 05:25 PM   #409
asnatlas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CaveManNOhio
I wonder how much pressure was placed on the seams when you were getting that big tank down the basement stairs. I'm guessing that would be hard on a tanks seams.
Sorry about your luck.
I can't say it was AO or the move or anything else... All I can say is that the silicone came off the back glass starting at the top and going down about 10" after the tank has had water in it for close to 17months... I would think if it was something with the move it would have happened alot sooner... The tank / stand was square and level so I don't really know, I guess I have to learn everything the hard way and this is my sign to say I need to find another hobby...

Unread 07/31/2007, 05:27 PM   #410
asnatlas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cbui2
could you modified anything to hold the display together? just a thought, maybe strips of cardboard around all four corners then using tow straps to hold it in place.
I went out to get a large bar clamp to hold the tank together hopefully that will hold up until I an figure out what to do...

Unread 07/31/2007, 05:30 PM   #411
asnatlas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spazz
what is the tank made from? glass or acrylic? if its made by a reputable company than they should warrantee there product. can you post a picture of the tank? if its acrylic than it might be able to be fixed. if its an inwall tank than i know it can be fixed. it may not look pretty but you can reglue the seam and then glue a strip over the seam to give it a stronger bond.
Glass... I will be posting pics in a few, but the silicone is still on the right pane but its just came right off the back glass... The eurobracing came apart in that corner as well... So I am guessing for what ever reason the eurobracing gave out and it started down the back right seam...

As for the warranty I am guessing it was up in Jan/Feb this year since I got it Jan 06...

Unread 07/31/2007, 05:31 PM   #412
asnatlas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
all I can say is Weld-On 40.
I wish it was that easy... Weld-On will not do anything on a glass tank

Unread 07/31/2007, 05:37 PM   #413
asnatlas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by erics3000
It will need to be drained first??? That really sucks..If it is not under warranty Is it possible it can be reinforced as well. What do you guys mean the seam were stressed while taking it down stairs?

Hopefully you can work through this. It will be all the more sweeter in the end...
Yes, it would need to be fully drained... Its glass and if I did have it re siliconed then I would need to strip all of the current off to get it redone... Not only that but I would need to let it sit for a few wks to get the silicone cure...

I would look into adding more to the eurobracing, but right now I don't have anything left in me to deal with this crap any more... Again I don't know what I am going to do right now...

I am not sure it could have been cared for any better then it was getting it down the stairs... Custom Movers did a great job and again I can't say it was the move or AO or anything else... Its just one of those things that happened and now I need to figure out what to do about it...

Unread 07/31/2007, 05:38 PM   #414
asnatlas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cward
I think he was referring to setting the tank on the side when taking it down the stairs. I know aquariums are designed for outward pressure on the seams, but I'm not sure on inward pressure. I'm certainly not an engineer or an aquarium designer, so I don't know what kind of stress that could have been put on a tank of that size. I've done it with a 120g glass tank with no problems, but that tank is 4 times the size and a whole lot more weight.

Any pics of the split yet?
Pics are coming...

Unread 07/31/2007, 05:41 PM   #415
asnatlas
Registered Member

Here they are...

Unread 07/31/2007, 05:42 PM   #416
asnatlas
Registered Member

Unread 07/31/2007, 05:44 PM   #417
asnatlas
Registered Member

Unread 07/31/2007, 05:50 PM   #418
cbui2
Premium Member

that is crazy, only one year warranty for large display. for the eurobrace, how many sides came apart?

Current Tank Info: 600gal 96L x 48W x 30H 1"cell cast w/tons of equipments
cbui2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2007, 05:54 PM   #419
jnarowe
Registered Member

Unfortunately that looks like a manufacturer defect. Now don't all start flaming me, but seriously, if that had happened from the move, it would have burst a lot sooner, like when he first filled it. And since he is not in earthquake country, it's not like the tank took a big enough hit to cause the silicone to come loose.

Now we all know that you can cut the silicone with a metal scraper, but that wouldn't explain why the eurobracing split open.

Unread 07/31/2007, 06:19 PM   #420
erics3000
Registered Member

Try giving the vendor a call and see what they say.

Unread 07/31/2007, 06:39 PM   #421
Fliger
Registered Member

OMG! Man, I totally feel for you. Search for "Troll" in the Vendor feedback forum, eerily similar. I have only read this last page and will read more in a few. I don't even know what to say, you are way too nice of a guy for this to happen to. Regardless of one year, two years, whenever you set it up .... its COMPLETELY the builder's responsibility to get this taken care of. Wow, and there was just a thread about rimless tanks and how eurobracing is SO much better. Yet the last the splits like this I remember on RC were all eurobraced tanks.

When life hands you lemons, add vodka!

Current Tank Info: Current: 210G Elos System, 2x400W + 6x54W Photon w/Aquaconnects, H&S skimmer, Deltec FR509/ROWAphos+Elos Carbon, 6101's and 6201's, Ocean GEOtronic 900 Chiller/Heater, Biotopus II Controller w/SMS. Elos System 70.
Fliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2007, 06:45 PM   #422
erics3000
Registered Member

Wow fliger you might have a point. It is possible that the euro bracing does not let the tank flex at all and put more stress on the seams. 1 year warranty is crazy. I need to check with glass cages what kind of warranty I will get on my new tank. You would think they would have this down to an art by now.

Unread 07/31/2007, 07:03 PM   #423
clownnrnd
Registered Member

1year warranty is rediculous. Looks to me like either faulty craftsmanship or bad silicon. there is no way a tank should come apart after 1 year. I'm coming into 12 months w/ my AO tank hope this does'nt happen to me. That's all I would need. Good luck and I am sorry to hear this about your tank.

Chad

clownnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2007, 07:04 PM   #424
Fliger
Registered Member

I just read some more. Come on, its not the moving. Thats ridiculous. Tanks get moved all the time. This is silicone failing plane and simple. I don't think you and Troll are the only ones. Notice the thread's title. Pix are from Conceyted

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...o&pagenumber=1

Used to be

When life hands you lemons, add vodka!

Current Tank Info: Current: 210G Elos System, 2x400W + 6x54W Photon w/Aquaconnects, H&S skimmer, Deltec FR509/ROWAphos+Elos Carbon, 6101's and 6201's, Ocean GEOtronic 900 Chiller/Heater, Biotopus II Controller w/SMS. Elos System 70.
Fliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2007, 07:30 PM   #425
cward
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fliger
I just read some more. Come on, its not the moving. Thats ridiculous. Tanks get moved all the time.
I think at this point any scenario is pure speculation. No matter what caused the problem, it still stinks.