Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/17/2012, 12:42 AM   #1
Tremelle
Registered Member

My New To Me 290 Gallon A.G.E. Hybrid

My new tank is a used 290 gallon A.G.E. hybrid tank with starphire glass on 3 sides, the front and two sides. The tank measures 60” long x 36” wide and 30” high. I am the third owner of the tank, which was built new in 2008. The 30” tall stand is also an A.G.E. product. It has 2 doors in the front and one on each end. This appears to be one solidly built tank and stand. It also came with a 4 chambered acrylic sump measuring 48” long x 23” wide x 16” high. The seller also included a ReeFlo Super Dart Gold Pump, 3 250 watt mogul based Coralvue Lumen Bright reflectors and 3 250 watt electronic ballasts.

Since this new tank will be replacing my 210, I will be using the Deltec AP702, the Tunzes, the uv sterilizer and possibly the Aquatronica controller. The uv sterilizer is only rated for 250 gallons but it should be ok.

I am torn on what lights I want to go with on this build. The 72” Sun Light Supply Maristar fixture is too long for the new build. I like leds, but they come with a health price tag. T5s are just cost prohibitive when considering a 60” fixture and the amount and cost of the bulbs so often. So I am considering going with a setup of 3 or 4 hqi metal halides. The tank has 3 mogul metal halides for now. The three reflectors seem to provide nice coverage since they are arrange with the middle reflector positioned a little forward of the 2 outer reflectors. The canopy you see in the pics will not be used resting on the tank. I will be constructing a new lighting canopy depending on the lights I decide to go with. Even if I decide to stay with the reflectors the canopy will be mounted up above the tank. I have a mounting idea in mind that I need to put down on paper and then have fabricated. I don't like canopies on tanks. Since I love angels, I mostly keep leathers, mushrooms and ricordia. You have any suggestions for lighting?

It will probably be about a month before I start the move of the livestock from my 210 to the new tank. I need to plumb the overflows and decide how I want to mount the skimmer. There is not enough room in the stand for the skimmer to be mounted externally. I may have to mount it in the sump. I am going to have a cabinet positioned next to the stand to house all the electronics. I am also planning to sand the stand and stain it a darker color to match the surrounding furniture, which is like a rich espresso color.

Here are a few pics of the tank with just the center/forward lamp on. I cleaned the sump once I got the tank home and on the stand. I have yet to clean the tank, as seen in the pics. I will not be able to really clean the tank next weekend.

Here is a pic of my 210 that will soon be dismantled and sold.

There will be plenty of pics and updates as the build progresses, stay tuned.

Last edited by Tremelle; 12/17/2012 at 12:54 AM.
Tremelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2012, 10:12 AM   #2
1Sik1500
Registered Member

Looks like a great upgrade. I like the new dimensions alot though! I will tell you, I own a 30" tall tank and it can be a burden to clean the glass at times. Prepare to get your pits wet. im 6'3" and it can be a struggle. But it looks like a great tank. Have you considered going Chinese LED Panels? Here in Orlando they can be purchased for $200-250/each. I may take the plunge after the Holidays.

How about stocking wish list?

Simplicity is Key!
1Sik1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2012, 11:50 AM   #3
Tremelle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sik1500 View Post
Looks like a great upgrade. I like the new dimensions alot though! I will tell you, I own a 30" tall tank and it can be a burden to clean the glass at times. Prepare to get your pits wet. im 6'3" and it can be a struggle. But it looks like a great tank. Have you considered going Chinese LED Panels? Here in Orlando they can be purchased for $200-250/each. I may take the plunge after the Holidays.

How about stocking wish list?
No, I have not considered the Chinese led panels. I will look into them.

My current livestock will be moved over into the new tank. I currently am the caretaker of the following fish:

Female False Personifer Angel, 4"
Goldflake Angel, 3.5"
2 Blueline Angels, 2" ea
Chrysurus Angel, 4"
Lemonpeel Dwarf Angel, 3"
Multicolor Dwarf Angel, 3"
Male Blonde Naso Tang, 5" w/1" streamers
2 Blue-eyed Threadfin Cardinals, 1.5" ea
2 Purple Firefish, 2" ea

2 Fire Shrimp
Bullseye Pistol Shrimp

I am still on the lookout for a male Falser Personifer.

Unread 12/27/2012, 07:57 PM   #4
Tremelle
Registered Member

I am finally able to get back to working on the tank after the holiday and holiday travel. I have spent a bit of time cleaning up the tank of it's old build up in the sump. I now need to tackle the overflows. Today I went to Ikea to try and find a side cabinet to house the electronics for the system. Well I had no luck in doing so. I did run across some neat led lights for inside the stand. The led strip is 22" long and have proximity sensors. So the lights will turn on and off just by opening and closing the doors. Here is a link to the lights I am using, http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30180778/. I bought two of them, and may pick up a third one for the side door. You can connect up to four in one daisy chain and one power plug. After installing the two I bought I realized I did not buy the intermediate cable to connect the two strips. :-( So I am only able to operate one light at the moment.

Here are some pics of the leds and also them installed.

I also made a short little video to show the functionality of the lights.

Unread 12/27/2012, 09:08 PM   #5
Eddie V
Registered Member

Nice addition, much bigger than the bow front we were talking about earlier. Have you listed your 210 yet, I'll keep an eye out for it. I got to say you sump is the same size as my tank, lol.

Eddie V is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2013, 04:46 PM   #6
Tremelle
Registered Member

I spent Friday evening applying primer and a basecoat of paint to the stand. The previous owner had applied a thin coat of polyurethane to the stand on the indside and outside. I sanded the polyurethane and then applied a primer coat of Zissner BIN. That stuff is great. I then applied a basecoat of enamel paint. I wanted to stain the stand a much darker color, closely matching my furniture but had no luck in finding a stain. Once the painting is done I will be placing some white frosted acyrlic panels in each door to match the cabinet that will be next to the tank holding my skimmer and electronics.

Here is a picture of the cabinet I will be altering to hold my skimmer and electronics. Currently it has four drawers. I will be taking the drawers out and mounting the drawer fronts on a frame to make them one panel. It will be held on the magnets.

Unread 01/13/2013, 04:49 PM   #7
Tremelle
Registered Member

I have finished with the painting of the stand. I now need to go to Regal Plastics and have them cut my frosted white acrylic door inserts. Here are a couple pics of the stand as of today along with a couple of rough concept pictures. Keep in mind the canopy that is seen in the pics will not be on the tank. It is just sitting up there to clear floor space.

Unread 01/13/2013, 04:51 PM   #8
Tremelle
Registered Member

Oops, double post.

Unread 01/14/2013, 09:14 PM   #9
maddmaxx
Registered Member

i luv the depth of the tank, 36" is sweet...

Current Tank Info: 40B Mixed reef
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2013, 09:28 PM   #10
bpcardona
Trying to hard

Looking good so far.....

Livestock:
Clowns - Blonde Naso Tang - Blue Hippo Tang - Diamond Watchman Goby - Molly Miller -
bpcardona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2013, 09:58 PM   #11
Adamc1303
Registered Member

That 210 is gorgeous! It's gotta be hard breaking down something that nice.

Unread 03/23/2013, 02:35 PM   #12
Tremelle
Registered Member

It has been a slow go with the new tank. I still need to move the over 20" before I start on the plumbing, but I did finally decide and get my tank lighting squared away. I went with the Pacific Sun Metis Hyperion R2, the 1250mm (three LED panels) - for aquariums up to 165cm length.

Here are the specs on the light fixture:
8-channel control of color and intensity, 14-channel capable
• Cree XM-L Cool White LEDs & Cree XM-L Neutral White LEDs
• Cree XT-E Royal Blue 450nm
• Cree XT-E Royal Blue 465n,
• Cree XP-E Green 530nm
• Cree XP-E Red 630nm
• Cree XP-E Orange 610nmh
• UV-A 400nm & 420nm
• Cree XP-E 475nm up to
• Wireless communication with the lamp - BlueTooth / Wifi(soon)
• GHL Profilux / Apex / Neptune controllers compatible (by external module)
• Ethernet port(soon)
• Built-in web server - the ability to control from anywhere in the world(soon)
• Full control of the light spectrum
• Software / firmware written in C

I now need to construct a mounting system for the fixture since I can not hang it from the ceiling. Here are a few pics of the fixture sitting on the tank with the leds set at 60%.

Unread 03/23/2013, 02:58 PM   #13
dave.m
Registered Member

At 36" wide I think you will be cursing yourself later when you can't reach the back of the tank. You should leave yourself room to access the full length from both the front and the back.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2013, 07:56 PM   #14
Tremelle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
At 36" wide I think you will be cursing yourself later when you can't reach the back of the tank. You should leave yourself room to access the full length from both the front and the back.

Dave.M
I am not concerned about the width of the tank since I am planning on aquascaping around the overflows primarily. I will also be able to get behind the tank if need be considering the way my walls are made.

Unread 06/20/2013, 04:00 PM   #15
Tremelle
Registered Member

I have finally mounted my Metis Hyperion over the new tank. I did not want to mount it from the concrete ceiling so I made a light bridge out of 1" acylic. I was trying to achieve a minimalist look and it sure does accomplish that. I used a Radion hanging kit to hang the fixture.

Here are a few pics, starting with a pic of the raw material all the way to the final product.

Unread 06/20/2013, 04:17 PM   #16
jimmy frag
Registered Member

nice looking tank. may i ask why you refer to it as a Hybrid, i never understood how an aquarium falls into a "hybrid" category. just really curious

jimmy frag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2013, 06:00 PM   #17
Tremelle
Registered Member

The tank has a pvc bottom, glass sides and an acrylic euro brace. The manufacturer, A.G.E., gave it the hybrid name. So I assume the name came from the mixing of materials for the build.

Unread 06/20/2013, 06:09 PM   #18
ace_92101
Registered Member

Very nicely done. I like the "deep feel" of the tank. I'm looking forward to following the progress.

ace_92101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2013, 03:59 PM   #19
Tremelle
Registered Member

I had a request for some full tank shots on another site. So I am sharing those pics here also. The led fixture's power is set at 60% and the color rendition is set to 16k at the moment.

Unread 07/14/2013, 11:30 AM   #20
Tremelle
Registered Member

I finally got my skimmer and electronics out of sight. I took an Ikea 4 drawer cabinet and turned it into my accessories housing. I took the drawer fronts and attached them to a sheet of abs plastic cut to size. I then used some of the magnetic closures from Home Depot to attach it to the housing. I now need to tidy up the wiring and mount the power banks. I am also still undecided if I want to place matching frosted panels on the stand doors. The results are in the following pictures.

Unread 11/05/2013, 02:13 PM   #21
Tremelle
Registered Member

I reaquascaped the tank a couple times over the last week and a half. I was trying to find an aquascape that would show more of the depth of the tank. I finally decided on a more open layout. I actually had to remove some live rock and place it in the sump to achieve the look I was going for. Here are some pics of the final product for now.

Unread 11/05/2013, 02:16 PM   #22
dave.m
Registered Member

The new design is really smart looking. I agree that people are often using far too much rock. Your tank is looking really healthy.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote