Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/09/2013, 07:05 AM   #51
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

That is a very nice setup. What do the workers say about it? Do they come in and comment on it?

What are you going to do about natural light coming in?

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2013, 07:09 AM   #52
dave.m
Registered Member

Paul, can you please talk a bit more about the construction of the display tank itself? How thick is the glass? What is the material bounding the edges and how is it all held together? Your picture of the bracing looks like it is somehow pegged. What is all that about?

I am really interested in lighting a deep tank with LED canons as you have proposed. Do you have a PAR meter to test your set-up once everything is installed? I'd be curious as to how these work in a real-life scenario. Have you considered some of the other LED canons like the Orphek DIF pendants?

Thx,

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2013, 07:12 AM   #53
SPotter
Registered Member

Ummm.....Im speechless. Cant wait to see this all come together!!!!

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2013, 07:32 AM   #54
Jarob
Registered Member

Amazing build thus far! I will be moving to Austin next year and definitely hope to see this beauty in person!

Jarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2013, 07:47 AM   #55
FuzzyZipperbaum
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrogers View Post
1. Excellent point, rbarn. Our 205 was starphire and I did manage to put 3 significant scratches in it over its 15 year life. Mostly from over eager use of a metal algae scraper. Even still, the first impression on seeing the tank was that it was new and you had to make a point of looking for scratches; contrasted with the acrylic 750 that was half the age and looked like a war veteran. My plan for the new tank is to use only acrylic-safe algae pads and scrapers. My biggest worry for now is losing control of one of the taller aquascape pillars during install.

2. Yeah, I got a kick out of the crane. I was a huge Tonka fan as a kid.

Crane counterweight
The counterweight is 25,000 pounds and had to be delivered on a separate 18-wheeler flatbed.

Crane footing
Apparently even 18" square feet might punch through the asphalt of the street, so they bring 4' steel plates to further distribute the weight.
"1. Excellent point, rbarn. Our 205 was starphire and I did manage to put 3 significant scratches in it over its 15 year life. Mostly from over eager use of a metal algae scraper. Even still, the first impression on seeing the tank was that it was new and you had to make a point of looking for scratches; contrasted with the acrylic 750 that was half the age and looked like a war veteran. My plan for the new tank is to use only acrylic-safe algae pads and scrapers. My biggest worry for now is losing control of one of the taller aquascape pillars during install. "

am doing my rock formations right now....I have the same worries about falling aqua scape during set up. I hung heavy terry cloth towls on the inside when we were building the scape....it has saved me twice......

FuzzyZipperbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2013, 08:23 AM   #56
pmrogers
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm5406 View Post
That is a very nice setup. What do the workers say about it? Do they come in and comment on it?

What are you going to do about natural light coming in?
The workers mostly just laugh at the craziness of it all. None of them are aquarium guys but they got the idea this was going to be an unusual project starting from the 15 24" and 30" piers, through the 24" structural steel beams, and then the size of the crane used to hoist the tank. By the time the tank itself was dropped in I think they were done with being surprised.

I view the natural light as a good thing. My 205 got direct sunlight on one end for a few hours each day and the anemones and corals on that end were the happiest in the tank. This tank will only get fairly weak mid morning light. That said, there will be both full blackout and sheer shades on those windows as part of the media room light control system.

Current Tank Info: 1700gal 164"x48"x56" starphire and FRP tank
pmrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2013, 08:49 AM   #57
chingchai
Premium Member

Paul. Very inspired build thread.
Thank you for sharing.
Look forward to seeing the progress.

All the best.

chingchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2013, 09:12 AM   #58
yrema
Lounger

^ Chingchai pointed me to this thread.

Holy crap, Paul! This is one sweet, impressive build! Subscribed!

Marty, Amery and Seth :)

Current Tank Info: 100gal Low-tech, Low-cost Mixed Reef
yrema is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2013, 09:17 AM   #59
AJsTank
Registered Member

GOOD LORD this tank is huge. I did not know you could go this big with Glass. Can you please tell me who built it?

AJsTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2013, 09:29 AM   #60
Lofty
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techreef View Post
Clearly you put a LOT of thought into your sump design. Very nice. And yeah, when a crane is involved with unloading the tank, it's an epic build project. LOL. Beautiful home. I wholeheartedly agree with your ideas so far. It sounds like you are walking the same path as Dan's Arizona build. I'm looking forward to your progress.
Anyone have a link to this thread... I would like too check it out

Oh yeah... Subscribed!! This one is gong to be epic!

Lofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2013, 09:33 AM   #61
pmrogers
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
Paul, can you please talk a bit more about the construction of the display tank itself? How thick is the glass? What is the material bounding the edges and how is it all held together? Your picture of the bracing looks like it is somehow pegged. What is all that about?

I am really interested in lighting a deep tank with LED canons as you have proposed. Do you have a PAR meter to test your set-up once everything is installed? I'd be curious as to how these work in a real-life scenario. Have you considered some of the other LED canons like the Orphek DIF pendants?

Thx,

Dave.M
Sure thing, Dave. The tank is constructed as a fiberglass reinforced plastic box with portholes cut out for the viewing panels. This is even stronger than an acrylic tank for the base frame. You then have the option of using either acrylic or glass viewing panels.

I don't know the details of how the viewing panels are sealed, but the main idea is that the brunt of the force on the panel is borne by the FRP frame. All the seals have to do is prevent water leakage; there is not a silicone or adhesive that is having to serve as both the structural element preventing the panels from bursting apart and also serve as the waterproof membrane.

The glass is 1.5" thick, three laminated layers of 1/2" starphire. I think the tank could have been built with thinner glass from a structural standpoint, but I also specified that the glass be thick enough to ensure zero visible deflection when filled.

The braces are pegged to the FRP frame with 5/8" stainless bolts. These provide additional strength to the frame, allowing for the top frame to be thinner than with a pure eurobrace design. Waterdog would typically use a single FRP panel with cutouts, no separate braces, but I did not want the shadowing caused by the FRP cross beams.

Regarding lighting, I will be using a PAR meter once things are set up. For now, I'm trusting that PAR will be okay based on a few data points: 1. Ecoxotic's assurances that these pendants are good for SPS level PAR at up to 72" water depth; 2. these lights are used in public aquaria for planted tanks up to 40' deep. Also, if PAR should happen to be a bit lower I'll be okay with this so long as I get good PAR for at least the top 30" of depth.

I didn't seriously consider Orphek mainly because they only offer up to 100W. I do have a couple of the Orphek Nilus panels that I might use over the frag tank, and they are very nice, though not quite the same build quality as the Ecoxotics.

Current Tank Info: 1700gal 164"x48"x56" starphire and FRP tank
pmrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2013, 09:35 AM   #62
CREKTO
Registered Member

Great project

CREKTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2013, 10:03 AM   #63
biecacka
Registered Member

You have achieved royal status when chingchai post in your thread!
This is off to an amazing start, I can't wait to watch it grow. You should out seats in the room and charge admission
Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2013, 11:37 AM   #64
dave.m
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrogers
Sure thing, Dave.
Thx very much. That's a lot of info to digest.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2013, 11:40 AM   #65
coral_lagoon
Pushrod Powered

Speechless..

Unread 05/09/2013, 01:58 PM   #66
Yurivd
Registered Member

Quote:
Sure thing, Dave. The tank is constructed as a fiberglass reinforced plastic box with portholes cut out for the viewing panels. This is even stronger than an acrylic tank for the base frame. You then have the option of using either acrylic or glass viewing panels.

I don't know the details of how the viewing panels are sealed, but the main idea is that the brunt of the force on the panel is borne by the FRP frame. All the seals have to do is prevent water leakage; there is not a silicone or adhesive that is having to serve as both the structural element preventing the panels from bursting apart and also serve as the waterproof membrane.

The glass is 1.5" thick, three laminated layers of 1/2" starphire. I think the tank could have been built with thinner glass from a structural standpoint, but I also specified that the glass be thick enough to ensure zero visible deflection when filled.

The braces are pegged to the FRP frame with 5/8" stainless bolts. These provide additional strength to the frame, allowing for the top frame to be thinner than with a pure eurobrace design. Waterdog would typically use a single FRP panel with cutouts, no separate braces, but I did not want the shadowing caused by the FRP cross beams.

Regarding lighting, I will be using a PAR meter once things are set up. For now, I'm trusting that PAR will be okay based on a few data points: 1. Ecoxotic's assurances that these pendants are good for SPS level PAR at up to 72" water depth; 2. these lights are used in public aquaria for planted tanks up to 40' deep. Also, if PAR should happen to be a bit lower I'll be okay with this so long as I get good PAR for at least the top 30" of depth.

I didn't seriously consider Orphek mainly because they only offer up to 100W. I do have a couple of the Orphek Nilus panels that I might use over the frag tank, and they are very nice, though not quite the same build quality as the Ecoxotics.
This is a nice tank!

Here where i live the max size glass is 3,2m
Almost all big tanks are starfire ( i have never seen a acrylic tank ) and thy are still glued with silicon

Yurivd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2013, 02:43 PM   #67
jestep
Registered Member

Any time a tank build involves a crane, you know it's going to be good...

jestep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2013, 02:49 PM   #68
Bpb
Registered Member

Monstrous tank. Are you a member of austinreefclub.com

If not you should be. I'm sure the folks would love to meet you!

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2013, 03:34 PM   #69
jhill
Registered Member

Wow. This looks like it is going to be incredible. If you ever need a hand I am sure myself and fellow Houston reefers would be up for making the drive to help and check this monster out in person. I am sure this is stressful trying to get the tank and house completed while still having to work to pay for it all. Good luck and I will be following along closely for ideas for my upgrade.

jhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2013, 03:49 PM   #70
Timfish
Registered Member

Very impressive! I would very much like to see this if you have an open house to show it off!

Quote:
. . .rails for holding an egg crate grill in front of the weir. I'll have to make my own and find an adhesive that is good for bonding PVC to FRP. . . .
You might check out Weldon-10. Not only is it good for different plastics it will also work on metal, glass and stone. Ed Konig at Austin Plastics, 512-836-1025, can get it for you and I'm sure it's available online.

And Bpb is right, the local club would love your input!

Last edited by Timfish; 05/09/2013 at 04:15 PM.
Timfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2013, 04:13 PM   #71
RIGUY314
Registered Member

epic build for sure. This one is definitively one for the books! RC should have a new category - Monster Tanks. good luck with it.

RIGUY314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2013, 04:50 PM   #72
Sagz70
Registered Reefer

This is gonna be a GREAT build! Will definitely be following along!

Sorry about your major loss though. :/

90 Gallon 36x24x24 Mixed Reef
Sagz70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2013, 08:17 PM   #73
Robb in Austin
Registered Member

Well, since ARC is getting all stalker-ish here...

Local's only!

Very nice build, BTW.

Robb in Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2013, 08:25 PM   #74
MHG
Registered Member

Tagging along

Unread 05/09/2013, 08:26 PM   #75
jt48
Registered Member

Wow

Filtration includes passive filtration pads, skimmer, ca