Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/21/2018, 03:00 PM   #1
clwntrigger
Registered Member

Converting main tank to QT

I have a 210 with what appears to be ich on several fish. I have been feeding with all food food soaked in garlic extreme and vita-chem. I was thinking about removing live rock sand and inverts to plastic tub and treating main tank with copper. I have the bio ball filter and protein skimmer in a sump setup with a UV sterilizer (TurboTwist12x) hanging on back of the display tank being fed buy a pump in the display tank. I do also have a refugium I can disconnect for the duration of the copper treatment. Has anyone tried this before?

clwntrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2018, 04:05 PM   #2
clwntrigger
Registered Member

I should add that this is a FOWLR tank with a few inverts like startfish and urchins

Unread 09/21/2018, 04:25 PM   #3
Aquavaj
Registered Member

Don't hold me to this but I've heard you should never use copper in a tank that will be used again in the future as a DT. The reason is that the silicone could absorb the copper and leach it back out later on.

Aquavaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2018, 04:49 PM   #4
clwntrigger
Registered Member

Converting main tank to QT

I've heard that but was thinking after a few large water changes and testing I would get the copper level back down to acceptable levels for fowlr. Silicone can only hold so much I am thinking?

Unread 09/22/2018, 12:28 AM   #5
Tastee
Registered Member

Poly filter will remove Copper, and it shows this in it's colour change. I used it effectively to remove cCopper from my QT after a treatment and a test (API, so I know possibly not as accurate as others) showed 0 afterward.

I’m not sure about leaching into rocks in a DT however, hopefully others will give you some feedback on that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2018, 02:14 PM   #6
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

So the rock would still need to be fallow for the 76 days or when you put it back, it would introduce ich right back in. It would probably be far easier and less stressful to the fish to place them in tubs for the treatment. I have also heard the copper in silicon thing but have no personal experience.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef. Biocube 29 lionfish tank. Mantis tank.
Crooked Reef is offline   Reply With Quote