Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/12/2010, 10:08 AM   #1
sneakerpimp
Registered Member

Question Flashlight Fish

I'm looking into getting 2 or 3 of these fish.

Has anyone kept them before?

sneakerpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2010, 10:12 AM   #2
rekn
Registered Member

i have 3 now. theyre super easy. they eat anything, dont get bullied and arent bullies themselves.

they shouldnt be put in a reeftank though, metal hallides blind them. this blindness can be permanate too.

the patches will seem white until they settle in. after about a month they will start to glow light blue.

rekn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2010, 11:22 AM   #3
sneakerpimp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekn View Post
i have 3 now. theyre super easy. they eat anything, dont get bullied and arent bullies themselves.

they shouldnt be put in a reeftank though, metal hallides blind them. this blindness can be permanate too.

the patches will seem white until they settle in. after about a month they will start to glow light blue.
I'm only using T5 HO's.

Don't they hide during the day?

Unread 05/12/2010, 12:10 PM   #4
rekn
Registered Member

usually

Unread 05/12/2010, 04:46 PM   #5
oct2274
Registered Member

i wouldn't say only using T5's.........they are as bright as halides. For the same amount of wattage they are actually brigher when paired with individual reflectors.

oct2274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2010, 07:39 PM   #6
Matt_Wandell
Moved On

You will not see them during the day. Joe Y keeps them in a reef tank and he says the moment the lights go out completely they come out. If you want to keep them in a reef, build them a cave out of PVC pipe or something that is deep enough to provide space and absolute darkness.

The fish above is an Anomalops sp. I wouldn't say they are "super easy". I wrote the following a while back to a friend:

Quote:
The 2 species we keep here are Photoblepharon and Anomalops, both monotypic so we just call them by the generic name. Anomalops is far and away the more common of the two in the trade but it is less hardy. Photoblepharon is worth the price difference if you can find them. IDing the two is fairly straightforward--Photoblepharon is deeper bodied, has one continuous dorsal fin, typically has a light grey body, and has a very prominent lateral line. Anomalops is more streamlined, with a split dorsal fin, the body is typically darker, and the lateral line is less noticeable.

Photoblepharon

Anomalops

Jay Hemdal reports about 25% losses in Anomalops before populations "settle down" to captivity, and we have had about the same luck. Our last shipment of Photoblepharon was 30 fish IIRC, all came in alive and I think we may have lost one since then. Our oldest Photoblepharon have been around 4 years or so. Photoblepharon is the much more desirable (and expensive) of the two as it almost always has its light turned "on", while the Anomalops are usually "off" with only brief flashes of "on". We had very low DOAs during shipping and Tx, something like 1-2%, but the Anomalops start to drop off after a few weeks due to anorexia. Some of them just refuse to eat anything. Praziquantel has been implicated in exacerbating this, so quick dips rather than a bath may be preferable. We have also used formalin and chloroquine phosphate to treat both species. Antibiotics are usually avoided because of the bioluminescent bacteria.

Both genera are eating machines and will seriously chow on mysis, krill, etc. They have incredibly high metabolisms and should be fed 2-3 times a day, so taking care of water quality should be a big concern. The tank itself should be dark, or at least have hiding spaces where they can be in absolute darkness. A dim cave will not really do it, and even passive room lighting is too bright for them. Given the choice they will all go the darkest space available regardless of hiding spots. A completely bare tank without any decor or substrate at all is perfectly suitable, as long as it is completely dark. It also makes cleaning the ample waste they will create easier to clean.

Okay, hope this helps. If you need any more info Jay Hemdal has been very helpful in assisting us.

Matt_Wandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2010, 06:40 AM   #7
Beaun
It's pronounced Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Wandell View Post
You will not see them during the day. Joe Y keeps them in a reef tank and he says the moment the lights go out completely they come out. If you want to keep them in a reef, build them a cave out of PVC pipe or something that is deep enough to provide space and absolute darkness.

The fish above is an Anomalops sp. I wouldn't say they are "super easy". I wrote the following a while back to a friend:
I've seen them in Joe's reef, you NEVER see them during the "day" but they come out at night and use all of the tank to swim in. After seeing that I question minimum tank size of 6', I would put it higher.

"The only legitimate use of a computer is to play games."
-Eugene Jarvis

Current Tank Info: None
Beaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2010, 11:31 AM   #8
rekn
Registered Member

theyre ocean going fish and its noticible from behavior. biggest is best here.

my anops almost always have their lights on but yeah, they are eating machines for sure.

Unread 05/13/2010, 02:27 PM   #9
sneakerpimp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaun View Post
I've seen them in Joe's reef, you NEVER see them during the "day" but they come out at night and use all of the tank to swim in. After seeing that I question minimum tank size of 6', I would put it higher.
Would a 72 x 24 x 29 tank be ok?

Unread 05/13/2010, 03:39 PM   #10
rekn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakerpimp View Post
Would a 72 x 24 x 29 tank be ok?
thats a common 125? if so then yeah thats fine.

Unread 05/13/2010, 07:12 PM   #11
Matt_Wandell
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaun View Post
Where did 6' come from?

I haven't been to Joe's reef at night but I do understand what you mean. We have several in a bare tank with no decoration approx 8' high by 8' wide that allows them quite a bit of room, and they do move fast.

Matt_Wandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2017, 12:58 PM   #12
Lmax8rn
Registered Member

I have two in my 240 gallon, 8x2x2 and they use the whole tank at night. I have. A lot of live rock and very dark places for them to hang out in during the day. They are both eating like pigs. IMO this is the biggest challenge! I love to watch them swim around at night, they make it look like there are blue fireflies in the tank. I did buy 3 of them originally, but one never ate and died in a few days. Sparky and Big Guy are thriving so far, I have had them for a few weeks now.

Lmax8rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 12:45 PM   #13
Lmax8rn
Registered Member

Anyone had these fish long term?

Unread 09/23/2017, 12:37 PM   #14
Rilelen
Registered Member

Do you feed at night? Don't have the space or room now, but I've gotten increasingly interested in nocturnal fish that we can keep in our tanks.

Office Nano Tank System (29 Gallon + 20 Gallon): Saltwater mollies + fry
Rilelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2017, 02:25 PM   #15
Lmax8rn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilelen View Post
Do you feed at night? Don't have the space or room now, but I've gotten increasingly interested in nocturnal fish that we can keep in our tanks.
Yes, I feed them once or twice after all the lights are out. I try to wait until all the daytime fish are asleep so that they can get more food. They eat everything though!

Unread 12/03/2017, 09:50 PM   #16
locito277
Registered Member

Hey guys are your fish still thriving? Bought a pair. One doesn’t hide throughout the day while the other does hide. They did swim all through the tank last night but have not seen them eat as of yet. I’ll try tonight.

Current Tank Info: 224 and 720 gallon in progress!
locito277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 05:58 AM   #17
Lmax8rn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locito277 View Post
Hey guys are your fish still thriving? Bought a pair. One doesn’t hide throughout the day while the other does hide. They did swim all through the tank last night but have not seen them eat as of yet. I’ll try tonight.
That’s strange that one is out during the day. How long have you had them? One of mine was kind of out in the daytime for a couple of days but not in direct light but he found a good spot to hide and they are both in their dark spots until lights out.

Have you been trying to feed them at night? When I prepare the frozen food for my daytime fish, I save some for the flashlight fish and feed them after lights out when they are out and about. Mine eat like hogs, even devouring pellets! If I’m awake early in the morning I will feed hem a little then too.

One big problem I have had is that they both gradually lost the bioluminescent bacteria that grow in their glowing organs. After hours of research I found no remedy to this problem and wrote a few biologists who have studied bioluminescence. I finally got a reply yesterday with a good suggestion. The organs need a certain bacteria called bioluminescent vibrio that you can order online from science websites that you can put in the tank. He also said it won’t hurt the rest of the tank. I am going to try this and see what happens.

Best of luck, I love my two!

Unread 12/04/2017, 06:37 PM   #18
locito277
Registered Member

Hmm interesting I am trying to find it but how much would I need? 720 gallons is a lot to dose. Super cool. Gonna try feeding them tonight. I’ll leave some food in Selcon now! keep you posted. Thanks for that info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 224 and 720 gallon in progress!
locito277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 08:07 PM   #19
Lmax8rn
Registered Member

I have an update. I spoke to a marine biologist on the phone this morning who specifically studies this species and has done research on them for nearly two decades and she stated that the vibrio bacteria will NOT work with these fish as the bacteria that is present in their organs has never actually been identifiable. Weird. Anyway, her recommendation was that it is VITAL that they have a place to hide with COMPLETE darkness, that means not even any ambient light. We brainstormed and I decided to use 1 1/2 inch black pvc and use a few angles making kind of a curled around pipe that would be dark in the middle but allow water flow. I bought the materials today and will build them a new home tomorrow. She said that with complete darkness it takes a minimum of 6 months for them to regrow the bioluminescent bacteria that allows them to flash. Bummer it takes so long but I feel like I owe it to them. I will keep you posted.

Unread 05/19/2019, 12:51 AM   #20
TYmonster
Registered Member

Question

Lmax8rn, any update on the revival of their symbiotic bioluminescent bacteria?
(First Reef Central Post)

TYmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2019, 07:19 AM   #21
PurpleCarpet
Registered Member

Interesting type of fish, anyone happen to have a video of them swimming around at night?

PurpleCarpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2019, 12:30 AM   #22
Brtnpage
Registered Member

Flashlights light going out!!!

I see there are people with flashlight fish experience on this thread, and I need the help of those who are familiar with them first-hand! My flashlight fish’s lights have gone out!!!! They reflect light very well, which surprises me, but there is zero light when all the other light sources in the room are out I’ve read that it can happen, but not why, and what to do. He still seems as happy and healthy as before, just dark. He used to constantly flash all the time, but now he just leaves it open, I guess cause he’s wanting light. He’s still in my QT tank, where he’s been for 2-3 months now, and while I haven’t added any meds at all, the tank regularly has copper all the time, during the QT of regular fish, so there’s definitely some very low levels in the water, from the rocks and sand and silicone, and such, but I was never aware of copper specifically being anti-bacterial. He eats like a champ, and has since day 2, but all he eats is PE mysis, and I know even alone, that’s not a terrible diet, there may be nutrients and such that the bacteria need, that they’re not getting from just that. I’ve read with pinecone fish that extinguished lights can be “reignited”, but I don’t remember how, and now can’t find the source I read about it from, before. Can anyone help me? More-so, can anyone help my little guy shine again???

Brtnpage is offline   Reply With Quote