Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/20/2017, 03:51 PM   #26
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles_Glasser View Post
It doesn't grow THAAAAT fast.
It most certainly can given the right conditions.. I've had "waiving hand anthelia" go from a 1" square to over 10 square feet in just a few months..

To the OP.. Just checking but you do know that "top off water" should be fresh water and not saltwater right? (salt doesn't evaporate)..

And you add corals when you are sure you can keep your parameters in a good range and most importantly stable..

Unread 07/17/2018, 04:28 PM   #27
Makled24
Registered Member

Reef Update

Hello everyone! My first year of reefing was full of ups and downs (mainly do to me neglecting the tank.) As I am getting back into it I wanted to give an update of my reef and also ask for some advice on a few things. For starters here is the tank as it stands today:

I was interested in upgrading the tank and my debate is between upgrading the lights (LEDs), adding a protein skimmer (Eshopps PSK-100H), or upgrading the power heads (MP10.) How would you guys prioritize these 3 things?

Lastly I was having some coral trouble even though my water tested with no issues at my LFS. What are your thoughts on this frogspawn? It was fine for 8 months but the last 4 months it has been sitting just like this:

Other coral that is struggling:

Your advice is greatly appreciated, thank you all!

Makled24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2018, 05:33 PM   #28
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Depending on what lights you have now and if you intend to keep pursuing corals then lights is #1 priority.. A skimmer is totally optional and no one needs a fancy wavemaker either..

Neglect is never good and IMO neither is starting with a frogspawn.. Hammers/frogs/torch corals while typically lumped into medium/beginner corals often times suffer the fate of being totally fine month then just one day go south and never recover..
And that is what a favia coral they IMO aren't the best beginner corals either and can be picky about light,etc..

Looks like you have the wonderful cyanobacteria too there..
I'd start by doing some extensive water changes to siphon out as much of the cyano as you can and see if you can kick that...
That will also help "reset" your water parameters as best as possible (we would rather you post actual numbers vs "no issue" as far as parameters go too..)

Unread 07/17/2018, 07:29 PM   #29
Makled24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Depending on what lights you have now and if you intend to keep pursuing corals then lights is #1 priority.. A skimmer is totally optional and no one needs a fancy wavemaker either..

Neglect is never good and IMO neither is starting with a frogspawn.. Hammers/frogs/torch corals while typically lumped into medium/beginner corals often times suffer the fate of being totally fine month then just one day go south and never recover..
And that is what a favia coral they IMO aren't the best beginner corals either and can be picky about light,etc..

I'd start by doing some extensive water changes to siphon out as much of the cyano as you can and see if you can kick that...
That will also help "reset" your water parameters as best as possible (we would rather you post actual numbers vs "no issue" as far as parameters go too..)
Yeah I had a major cyano takeover which is when I tested my water. I forgot to record the specific numbers but will include those in future posts. I’ve steadily been doing water changes and cleaning up what remains of the cyano.

As for the frogspawn should I just leave it in there hoping one day it recovers? Or is it probably done for? Thanks for the input

Unread 07/17/2018, 07:34 PM   #30
Makled24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post

Sorry I forgot to mention the lighting situation. I currently am running an aquatic life T5 setup. It has one ATI blue plus and one ATI coral plus. What type of upgrade would you recommend? The tank is 36 inches so it makes LEDs tricky as I would need two.

Unread 07/17/2018, 08:52 PM   #31
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Another 2 bulb t5 would support any corals just fine if you are ok sticking with good ole t5 tech
Reefbreeders photon stuff is good lower cost but proven led fixtures

Unread 07/17/2018, 08:58 PM   #32
Drewbe147
Registered Member

Euphyllias definitely can be tricky but as long as there is some life there is a chance of it recovering. Idk if or how recent you did the lighting change or whatnot but acclimating them to the new light is also key. Moderate light moderate flow has worked for me. Theres tons of videos on youtube about proper flows/light acclimation/ and overall Euphyllia care as well as specifically frogspawn care that can help you learn alot about it. Check your nutrients make sure nothing is crazy thats causing the reaction. Check your lighting intensity for the frogspawn and check the flow. If the flow is too hard the polyps can hurt themselves on their skeleton and retract as well. Euphyllias as well as other corals have zooxanthellae inside them that grows and has a symbiotic relationship which light intensity or changes can change the amount needed and the coral has to adjust. You can try moving the coral lower or shade it see if it bounces back then slowly move it back to its destination desired if proper flow is there. I absolutely love Euphyllias so I understand the desire to have them but they can be very picky and I agree they aren’t a easy coral per say either. Best of luck

Drew

Current Tank Info: 90 gal DT 29gal sump. Equipment: 2 OR T247B, RO Varios6 return, RO 150SSS, 2 XF250 Gyres, Jager 300W
Drewbe147 is offline   Reply With Quote