Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/14/2018, 03:01 PM   #1
Hallucination
Registered Member

HELP Algae taking over new tank.

Hello. I am semi new to the hobby but have a 30 gallon tank setup and i cant tell what kind of algae is growing in my tank or what to do about it. Im running a filter as of yesterday with carbon and 2 powerheads one with a UV light.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180714_134347.jpg (77.6 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 20180714_134350.jpg (92.7 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 20180714_134412.jpg (96.6 KB, 58 views)
Hallucination is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2018, 03:15 PM   #2
Hallucination
Registered Member

Also the algae is creating bubbls that are going to the top of the tank and creating this brown film

Unread 07/14/2018, 03:25 PM   #3
Hallucination
Registered Member

Also the algae is creating bubbls that are going to the top of the tank and creating this brown film

Unread 07/14/2018, 04:16 PM   #4
lowtek
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallucination View Post
Hello. I am semi new to the hobby but have a 30 gallon tank setup and i cant tell what kind of algae is growing in my tank or what to do about it. Im running a filter as of yesterday with carbon and 2 powerheads one with a UV light.
Don't know for sure as Im new myself. But thats what my bryopsis outbreak looked like early on. Otherwise I would guess its only diatoms. It should go away which mine for the most part did due water changes, snails,conchs and LM blenny. If those little stubs start getting taller it could be bryopsis amongst other things. Nice looking tank too! Very nice. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

lowtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2018, 04:27 PM   #5
lowtek
Registered Member

[QUOTE=lowtek;25469987]Don't know for sure as Im new myself. But thats what my bryopsis outbreak looked like early on. Otherwise I would guess its only diatoms. It should go away which mine for the most part did due water changes, snails,conchs and LM blenny. If those little stubs start getting taller it could be bryopsis amongst other things. As for the film at the surface its organic build up. Add surface agitation with a power head or divert filter output. You can also use a 2 liter bottle and fill it up with the opening just below water surface to skim the surface on next water change as well to get rid of some quickly. Nice looking tank too! Very nice. Good Luck

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

lowtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2018, 04:31 PM   #6
fijisrfr
Registered Member

Dinoflagellates, good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fijisrfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2018, 04:37 PM   #7
lapin
Registered Member

Welcome. We have the answers.
New tank is going to grow stuff. Maybe you dont want it. Maybe you do want it. Tell us what your tank parameters are. Nitrate and Phosphate are good ones that might help us help you. You just started running a filter. Why carbon in the filter? Whats in the tank? Fish? Coral? Did you start with live rock or? Do you use RODI water for making new salt water or top off? Let us know and we will let you know what we think is going on.

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2018, 04:52 PM   #8
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Please turn the blue channel of your lights off or way down and take pictures of it again..
Proper color rendition is important in identification pictures and all that blue does not show colors properly.. It also make it harder for your camera to focus properly..

Its quite common to get air bubbles in a new tank just like its very common to have diatoms/green hair or film algae and even cyanobacterial issues..

Unread 07/15/2018, 10:04 PM   #9
Kmack0415
Registered Member

Looks like dino, but can't be sure without telling the color. Do you have any livestock or cuc in the tank? How long has the tank been up and have you checked your water parameters?

Kmack0415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2018, 06:58 AM   #10
Rover88
Registered Member

Question time:

1.) When was the tank set up?
2.) RODI water or tap water?
3.) What are all your parameters, in hard numbers? Any that you have test kits for.
4.) What is in the tank that is alive? Clean up crew, fish, etc.

It looks like the case of dinoflagellates to me, but as others have said a good picture with the blues turned off and the white turned on all the way will help.

Rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2018, 09:30 AM   #11
Bryanmc1988
Registered Member

Newly setup tanks that has not been fully cycled will have algae growth but that is normal. Once the tank has settled in, the tank will push the algae back. Add some inverts to the tank to help with the issue in the mean time while the tank settles in.

Bryanmc1988 is offline   Reply With Quote