Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/15/2018, 07:21 PM   #1
Redeyes31
Registered Member

NEW TANK! New Reefer... First additions: QT cuc and fish in DT

I know this has been covered, but I can't find that thread.

When it comes to QT, I get it. Considering the time, energy, effort, and money you put into this hobby and the love you have (hopefully!!) for your little ecosystem, why would you ever risk it by avoiding a rather simple (boring) process. Still, may people do not QT and many have no problems (lucky!).

I have a QT, and I fully intend to use it. Oh, and I have a 65g DT with 24g sump/refugium that is only a week underway. I am looking ahead, past the cycle, and thinking about adding the CUC and first fish or two. Can I just use my DT as their QT? If a fish has ich or gets it from the inverts, obviously the fish and I are SOL. But aside from leaving the tank alone for 76+ days, any harm?

At the end of the day I realize it's just a gamble. But if you know all the inverts and fish are coming from the same place, hopefully a decent one.

Thanks!

Redeyes31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2018, 05:58 AM   #2
Rover88
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeyes31 View Post
I know this has been covered, but I can't find that thread.

When it comes to QT, I get it. Considering the time, energy, effort, and money you put into this hobby and the love you have (hopefully!!) for your little ecosystem, why would you ever risk it by avoiding a rather simple (boring) process. Still, may people do not QT and many have no problems (lucky!).

I have a QT, and I fully intend to use it. Oh, and I have a 65g DT with 24g sump/refugium that is only a week underway. I am looking ahead, past the cycle, and thinking about adding the CUC and first fish or two. Can I just use my DT as their QT? If a fish has ich or gets it from the inverts, obviously the fish and I are SOL. But aside from leaving the tank alone for 76+ days, any harm?

At the end of the day I realize it's just a gamble. But if you know all the inverts and fish are coming from the same place, hopefully a decent one.

Thanks!
I guess on the same token you could ask yourself, whats the downside of using the QT if you have it and its all ready to go?

Short answer: Treating in the display tank is more expensive if you find you need to treat, because the larger water volume requires more medication to get to therapeutic levels.

While the CUC probably won't have any fish diseases, they might bring in pyramid snails. I got pyramid snails in my display tank from a snail I bought, and once they are in there its pretty much a nuisance for me to get rid of them because they got everywhere.

So if I had quarantined properly, I wouldn't have the issue.

Keep in mind. All of my fish, all of my clean up crew, all of my corals, literally every single thing in my tank that is wet came from a highly reputable local fish store, and I got Ich and pyramid snails. So... I gambled, and I lost. I did it because I didn't have a quarantine set up. If you have one, just use it.

Rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2018, 06:31 PM   #3
Redeyes31
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover88 View Post
While the CUC probably won't have any fish diseases, they might bring in pyramid snails.
Hey, it's Rover88. I'm pretty sure I was admiring your thoughts on some other posts. Thanks for the reply.

I Should just use the QT. I've heard of the pyramid snails. Guess you gotta QT the CUC too.

Redeyes31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2018, 07:16 PM   #4
Rover88
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeyes31 View Post
Hey, it's Rover88. I'm pretty sure I was admiring your thoughts on some other posts. Thanks for the reply.

I Should just use the QT. I've heard of the pyramid snails. Guess you gotta QT the CUC too.
First person to ever comment on another post I did

Pyramid snails are little tiny snails that normally feed on clams, but can feed on snails. I have no idea when/how they got into my tank, but since everything I got came from one place, sure enough it must have been through there. I noticed them on my Trochus snails, around the 'mouth'. Manual removal seems about the only treatment worth doing.

But yeah. I wish I had QT'd. I've got about 34 days left until I can reintroduce my fish to my display, due to the ich.

Rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote