Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/01/2017, 07:21 PM   #26
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

I have a piece of 3/4" plywood that's going to be cut into a little table top, stained and attached over the existing top. This plan has been okayed by my grandfather who has extensive building experience. Only annoying part is that I'm pretty sure the stain I bought isn't a perfect match but it'll do.

Also going to cut a little access hole in the back of the nightstand so I can thread my ATO cords/tubing through there.

Musing.Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2017, 12:45 PM   #27
murphreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musing.Dog View Post
Well, my tank, ATO, and heater arrived today but at around 7pm. I can't start on the stand until tomorrow but I think it will be cycling within the next day.

The tank is very nice. Super clear glass and nice clean silicone. I love the dimensions and can't wait to start arranging my rocks. The pump looks a little cheap but it all depends on how loud it is. I'm setting this tank up next to my bed so if it's loud at all I'll be replacing it with a Sicce 1.5 I think.
You will be replacing the pump. It hums pretty good, luckily for me mine is downstairs in my living room so it does not bother me one bit.

I set mine up over this weekend. Love the little tank and the simplicity of my set up. The new equipment these days is so compact and clean looking, my wife couldn't be happier lol she remembers my old tanks that had big bulky lights and equipment but now everything is so stealth.

Especially my AI Prime HD light so simple so clean and so cool to use with all the functions

Current Tank Info: 25G cube (finally back in the hobby in a small way)
murphreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2017, 12:59 PM   #28
murphreef
Registered Member

quick pic after set up, water is clear now.

Unread 05/02/2017, 01:05 PM   #29
twitchy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphreef View Post

Looking good, how do you like the spread with the prime?

twitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2017, 01:18 PM   #30
murphreef
Registered Member

^ spread is great, a little bit of disco ball effect under very turbulent water but nothing too bad. I keep the power heads pointing away from the surface too much now.

The usability and interface of this product from my lap top is pretty cool. I like that it is so sleek and minimal looking.

But to answer your question it covers the tank perfectly without shadowing

Unread 05/03/2017, 08:11 AM   #31
evokid511
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphreef View Post

how is your tank doing with a single prime over it??? ive been looking into the 20 fusion but was worried my single prime wouldnt be enough length coverage?

evokid511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2017, 08:13 AM   #32
evokid511
Registered Member

did not realize you had basically just andered that question haha

evokid511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2017, 07:02 PM   #33
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

An error was made in measuring at some point which delayed the stand for a few days but it's finally going.

Here's the top stained and ready.

Two small, wooden bars were added to the bottom to line up with the top of the old night stand for easy glueing. This stained plywood top was affixed using a high-strength epoxy. The stain is a little darker than the original stand but it came out nice anyway.

Here it is empty, very pretty. I stained the little wooden alignment bars too so they don't stick out. I apologize for the reflections. The lighting in that room is really bad.

Added the 15 lbs dry rock, 20 lbs fiji pink sand and water from the LFS. Little cloudy right now. Off to the left is the GFCI I purchased for this project, I have never used one before but I got a nasty shock from a submersible pump a few years ago and that changed my mind.

Honestly, the stock pump isn't very loud. My window unit air conditioner is much louder than the tank even when I'm standing right next to it.

I am using the Cobalt 100 watt Neo-Therm which feels like a very nice heater. The water temp was something like 76 when I put the heater in; I set it to 78 F.

I also set up the Smart ATO Micro. I like the looks of it so far. I haven't turned it on yet as the LFS water is measuring 1.023 with a just-calibrated refractometer. I have a little hole drilled in the back of the stand so that my ATO lines and tube and come into the bottom drawer where I have a tupperware container from Walmart. That'll be my reservoir. That's my cheap refractometer in there. It's very easy to read though.

I'm not done aquascaping at this point, I'll probably break up one of those rocks and add some live rock tomorrow.

Unread 05/08/2017, 07:22 PM   #34
twitchy
Registered Member

Looking good, the extra top makes the moulding stand out 👍
how large is that ato container?

Unread 05/08/2017, 08:08 PM   #35
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

I believe the ATO container is ~3/4 gal. The packaging said something like 100 oz or 114 oz. Might need a bigger one.

Unread 05/11/2017, 04:27 AM   #36
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

I let the tank evaporate to 1.025 and started the ato. It's working perfectly so far.
also added some live rock. I have some kind of alive bivalve though on one. Feel bad for him.

Last night I noticed a small defect in the glass. Almost like when the edges were rounded off they got a little too vigorous. I don't think it's a chip as it isn't sharp.

Unread 05/11/2017, 10:41 AM   #37
twitchy
Registered Member

Are both of your corners like that or just one? Just checked and mine doesn't look like that, but I agree that it doesn't look like a chip

Unread 05/11/2017, 07:49 PM   #38
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Just one corner. I think it's just the reality of mass produced products.

Unread 05/12/2017, 01:27 PM   #39
Gueeto
Registered Member

Great looking tank looking forward to see it grow

Jim.wanamaker@gmail.com
Gueeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2017, 07:27 PM   #40
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Tank has cleared up considerably. I saw a little brittle star, an amphipod, and a tiny bristleworm so far.

And this giant mussel. I don't expect him to live but I placed him so he can open and not move my rock. He closes every time I open the stand drawers.

Upgraded that little Tupperware to a ~3 gal sterilite container as this tank is using up to 1 gal a day of RO.

Unread 05/19/2017, 04:51 PM   #41
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

20 Nuvo Fusion Peaceful Philippine Inspired Reef

Well, lots more copepods in the tank. Haven't seen that little worm. Mussel is still alive.
Got some basic free API tests done today, 0 ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, ph between 7.8 and 8.0 apparently.
This is a little surprising since I put a square inch of salmon in the tank several days ago. I imagine the ammonia could have been consumed but where did the nitrites or nitrates go?

Unread 05/24/2017, 06:50 PM   #42
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Been testing the parameters and feeding the tank little pinches of tiny pellets. Still see no ammonia, nitrites or nitrates.
Added 5 banded trochus, which appear to be doing well. And a dwarf zebra hermit/ left handed hermit. I asked for some extra shells for the hermit and threw those in after acclimating the hermit and snails.
Been seeing my hermit in two different shells all day, then found a crab moult. Turns out one of those extra shells was occupied and I actually have two hermits. The accidental hermit is pale, banded claws, blueish eyestalks and blue legs with red bands at the joints? Not sure what kind he is yet; he's very shy. If it's a blueleg, I'll probably take him back to a store of something.

Unread 05/24/2017, 07:13 PM   #43
twitchy
Registered Member

Quote:
Been testing the parameters and feeding the tank little pinches of tiny pellets. Still see no ammonia, nitrites or nitrates.
Added 5 banded trochus, which appear to be doing well. And a dwarf zebra hermit/ left handed hermit. I asked for some extra shells for the hermit and threw those in after acclimating the hermit and snails.
Been seeing my hermit in two different shells all day, then found a crab moult. Turns out one of those extra shells was occupied and I actually have two hermits. The accidental hermit is pale, banded claws, blueish eyestalks and blue legs with red bands at the joints? Not sure what kind he is yet; he's very shy. If it's a blueleg, I'll probably take him back to a store of something.
Sounds like a blue leg to me, did you have a bad experience with them in the past? Blue legs are the only hermit I've never had a problem with... Maybe I've just been lucky

Unread 05/25/2017, 04:24 AM   #44
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
Sounds like a blue leg to me, did you have a bad experience with them in the past? Blue legs are the only hermit I've never had a problem with... Maybe I've just been lucky

Oh no, I just wanted to keep the tank indo-pacific.

Unread 05/25/2017, 05:16 AM   #45
twitchy
Registered Member

Quote:
Oh no, I just wanted to keep the tank indo-pacific.
Oh makes sense, when do you think you will begin stocking other than CUC?

Unread 05/25/2017, 12:10 PM   #46
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Starting next month probably. Need to buy a lid before the fire fish.
I'm still not sure which goby /shrimp pair I want.
Also strongly considering a swales baslett. Two would be even nicer but I don't want to mess with trying to sex them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 05/25/2017, 12:24 PM   #47
twitchy
Registered Member

Quote:
Starting next month probably. Need to buy a lid before the fire fish.
I'm still not sure which goby /shrimp pair I want.
Also strongly considering a swales baslett. Two would be even nicer but I don't want to mess with trying to sex them.

I have a wheelers shrimp goby and I think a Randall's pistol shrimp, the goby is a very bright almost metallic red

Unread 05/27/2017, 04:14 AM   #48
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Added 5 nassarius snails. I find them very amusing.
A small mussel on the live rock is dead. I think it's time for a water change.

Unread 06/02/2017, 07:33 PM   #49
Musing.Dog
Registered Member

Just found what I think is a tiny pistol shrimp on a filter sock.

I thought I heard some tiny popping sounds. The tank is otherwise pretty quiet and next to my bed. Amazing how something so tiny could be loud. It's only about 1/2".

Unread 06/03/2017, 05:51 PM   #50
twitchy
Registered Member

Are you going to keep the shrimp? I like my little guy, but I could definitely see that clicking getting old if I had it next to my bed