Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/07/2017, 06:03 AM   #76
Ricardo18
Registered Member

Well, I have my 5 Streams running now.2 horizontal and 3 vertical, all in different modes.Combined, thy are quieter than one of my old MP60's.
I am really pleased with my decision .

Current Tank Info: 500 gallon display,650 system Lifereef Skimmer Ozone UV Apex Radion Genesis
Ricardo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2017, 06:25 AM   #77
wcharon
Registered Member

Can you post pics to see how they look in the tank?

Thanks in advance.

Current Tank Info: 125 Gal. Reef, Chiller 1/4, Skimmer SRO SSS-1000 (Old), Aquamaxx EM-200, Aqua C UV, Actinic ReefBrites, Kore 5th. Doser, APEX Full
wcharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2017, 07:04 AM   #78
Ricardo18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcharon View Post
Can you post pics to see how they look in the tank?

Thanks in advance.
I will once I can get my Flikr account to work. (no more photobucket)

Current Tank Info: 500 gallon display,650 system Lifereef Skimmer Ozone UV Apex Radion Genesis
Ricardo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2017, 07:13 AM   #79
wcharon
Registered Member

Ok. Thanks....

Current Tank Info: 125 Gal. Reef, Chiller 1/4, Skimmer SRO SSS-1000 (Old), Aquamaxx EM-200, Aqua C UV, Actinic ReefBrites, Kore 5th. Doser, APEX Full
wcharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2017, 10:45 PM   #80
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Thank you!

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2017, 12:28 PM   #81
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

I've got two new in box just waiting for my 470g tank to get salty again! Can't wait to see them in action.

Current Tank Info: 375g Tanganyikan Tank & 470g mixed reef
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2017, 07:29 PM   #82
beertech
Registered Member

Stream 3 noisy??

I just bought a stream 3, and because I work at the store where I bought it I did a trial run in their coral bed. I was impressed with the power and the fact it ran completely silent.
Brought it home, and installed in my 4 foot 120. Tried it mounted horizontally across the back wall and also vertically with the deflector attached. In both positions I can definitely hear the pump running. It's kind of a grinding or vibration type of noise. The main reason I bought this pump us because it's supposed to be totally silent due to the motor design and floating magnet mounts.
I'm wondering if you have any suggestions?
I'm hesitant to tear it apart.
Thanks,. Gord

beertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2017, 09:09 AM   #83
rvitko
RC Sponsor

It would be most likely that the cause is either the prop is not seated, you have to push very hard to seat it, you are fighting a very strong magnetic field and when seated none of the magnet is above the hole. Either that or some sand got in, I would pull the drive unit and check and then reassemble, just keep in mind the magnet field is very strong so you will push quite hard and then it will thunk and lock in.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 08/14/2017, 11:44 AM   #84
beertech
Registered Member

I think it's probably sand, I remember now that it caused a bit of a sand storm in the shop's tank. I guess some fine particles could have gotten in. I'll give it a clean tonight. The other thing I was going to try is something that you mentioned in a different thread. My glass is only 3/8, so I can insert a piece of acrylic between the magnets to see if that helps.
Thanks for the reply, and I'm loving this pump so far!

Unread 08/14/2017, 11:49 AM   #85
rvitko
RC Sponsor

3/8" should be fine. Be careful with sand in the pump, the bearing at the bottom can be damaged and will result in an error shut down, it is a cheap piece to replace but if bad the pump won't run.

Unread 08/14/2017, 01:02 PM   #86
beertech
Registered Member

Ok, thanks!
Do you think it would be a good idea to order a replacement bearing now, just in case it's needed in the future? Is it something that might wear out with time?

Unread 08/14/2017, 01:34 PM   #87
rvitko
RC Sponsor

In my experience it is the only thing that can cause a pump to stop, but unless you run the pump dry or sand gets in, they should last almost forever. If they are damaged you can almost see through the recess the ball rests in, it will be thinned and translucent, it can also melt around the edges of where the ball sits. I lost one to sand, I have had a customer lose one to a dry test run, they are cheap, like $4, so it wouldn't be a bad thing to have a spare of but you may never need it.

Unread 09/18/2017, 10:36 PM   #88
Alma Knack
Registered Member

Roger, Do you think the pump will be too big for a 24"x24" 50 gallon cube mixed reef? If so, do you have another recommendation? Thanks.

Alma Knack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2017, 08:40 AM   #89
rvitko
RC Sponsor

It would work, but it is a big pump and you would have it greatly turned down, unless you plan an upgrade soon I would instead use 2 6055's, they are almost as quiet simply because they are much smaller pumps.

Unread 10/12/2017, 05:45 PM   #90
dpstrand
Registered Member

How well would this work in a 36x36x24 cube? I have a trapezoidal corner overflow so I would mount it vertically in the corner (on the overflow wall) and replace the two opposing vertical gyres I have now (they blow my sand completely off those two sides). Would it need any supplemental pumps?

dpstrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2017, 08:22 AM   #91
rvitko
RC Sponsor

It would probably be a good pump for this tank but I will always recommend no fewer than 2 pumps in a tank, stuff happens and having a sole pump go down, even if it just needs a cheap part or cleaning can be a disaster, the odds of 2 or more pumps failing is slim, so I would never try to do just one pump. One will have enough flow but the added benefit of being able to alternate the direction of flow, I would even consider 2 smaller pumps before 1 big pump.

Unread 10/13/2017, 04:15 PM   #92
dpstrand
Registered Member

Thank you Roger. I have a 6055 that can be used with it. Can it be controlled with the 7096 controller along with a 6055? How long is it with the deflector installed? How close can the bottom of it be to the sand when installed in the vertical position? How close can the top of the deflector be to the surface? Sorry for so many questions. Thank you for the help!

dpstrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2017, 02:43 PM   #93
Alma Knack
Registered Member

Turbelle stream 3 dry side magnets submerged?

Hi Roger,
The instructions for applying the external magnets state the "outside dry and clean" (page 21 initial operation). Does this mean the outside magnets cannot be placed in my overflow and submerged in saltwater? I want to mount mine horizontally on my overflow which is in the center back of my tank. Will the sealed magnets lose their seal?
Thanks,
Paul

Alma Knack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2017, 07:59 AM   #94
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Alma,

Both magnet halves are waterproof, if a dry pain of glass is wet, the hold is lost as part of the hold is by the grip of the rubber surface, this only applies on wet glass that is otherwise dry, a similar grip is created when submerged.

dpstrand, with the flow deflector it is 9" tall, without it is 7.2". My personal preference is to omit the flow deflector, the pump has a very wide flow that literally fills the tank and I would place it about 6" above the sand in a horizontal position behind rock work where it can still be accessed for cleaning and I think you will see it creates a complete wrap around flow if your rock is open on the ends. It does draw in water from the bottom and it also back flushes once a day so the sand size has a big impact on distance from the sand but in my experience 6" is enough with typical 3mm grain size aragonite sand.

Unread 10/18/2017, 01:00 PM   #95
RedStangGA
Registered Member

Just ordered 2, looking forward to how they do in a 220!

Unread 10/18/2017, 01:31 PM   #96
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Try horizontal on the back wall centered with one above the other, one pointing left, one pointing right, I think you will be happy with them but that would be my recommended placement starting point. Be sure to have them at least 8" above the sand, they spin backwards once a day for just about 20 seconds to back flush and they can sweep up sand doing that. The only failures I see are the bearing failing from sand or dry test runs, fortunately that is a very cheap part.

Unread 10/18/2017, 01:51 PM   #97
RedStangGA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvitko View Post
Try horizontal on the back wall centered with one above the other, one pointing left, one pointing right, I think you will be happy with them but that would be my recommended placement starting point. Be sure to have them at least 8" above the sand, they spin backwards once a day for just about 20 seconds to back flush and they can sweep up sand doing that. The only failures I see are the bearing failing from sand or dry test runs, fortunately that is a very cheap part.
Thanks for the tip, or confirmation, as that was my plan to start. I have a "ghost" style overflow so they should fit beneath it perfectly and be well above the sand.

Unread 10/20/2017, 05:02 PM   #98
tweetyfish
Registered Member

How well would these work with a 180 RR? I currently have a couple of 6105's but see a need for more flow. Also what about placement. Overflows are not in the corners but positioned on the back wall. Thanks

Current Tank Info: 180 gal Oceanic
tweetyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 07:39 AM   #99
rvitko
RC Sponsor

They are an excellent candidate for a 180. I would use the horizontal positioning, my preferred is on the back wall behind rock work as long as they are still accessible for maintenance and are not so low they can take in sand.

Unread 10/24/2017, 05:40 AM   #100
RedStangGA
Registered Member

Turbelle Stream 3 Beauty of the Beast

Theses things are smaller and more powerful than I expected. I have no sand in the back corners of my 220 now. I'll move them closer to the center of the tank, lower them, and aim them slightly upwards. Maybe than I can run them at 75% .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk