Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/13/2019, 04:36 PM   #1
russ13
Registered Member

ORP probe question

If I am not running ozone why would I need to know my ORP??

russ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2019, 08:36 PM   #2
kurt_n
Registered Member

For me, ORP is just used as an overall indicator of tank health. The actual number reported isn't important to me, but the trend of the number speaks volumes. ORP will rise and fall during the day opposite of your pH trends. Once you figure out what "normal" for your tank is, any deviation from that norm gives you a heads up that something is off. And once you figure out your norm, you can set alarms in case the ORP goes below normal.

I'm convinced my ORP probe saved my tank several years ago. My alarm went off early in the morning before the lights went on, which made me look at the tank earlier than normal. Corals didn't look happy at all. After about 10 minutes of searching, I found the culprit - a cracked powerhead that was exposing the coil (and AC!) to saltwater.

If you do decide to track ORP, ignore the actual number. Just keep track of the trend and what "normal" for your tank is.

kurt_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2019, 09:52 AM   #3
russ13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt_n View Post
For me, ORP is just used as an overall indicator of tank health. The actual number reported isn't important to me, but the trend of the number speaks volumes. ORP will rise and fall during the day opposite of your pH trends. Once you figure out what "normal" for your tank is, any deviation from that norm gives you a heads up that something is off. And once you figure out your norm, you can set alarms in case the ORP goes below normal.

I'm convinced my ORP probe saved my tank several years ago. My alarm went off early in the morning before the lights went on, which made me look at the tank earlier than normal. Corals didn't look happy at all. After about 10 minutes of searching, I found the culprit - a cracked powerhead that was exposing the coil (and AC!) to saltwater.

If you do decide to track ORP, ignore the actual number. Just keep track of the trend and what "normal" for your tank is.
Good to know. Thank you

russ13 is offline   Reply With Quote