Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/27/2009, 10:02 AM   #51
sl-atl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sahin

As far as I know, the water level in the display area is constant, so the sensors must be located in the rear compartments right? What happens if the two pumps are on a wave maker? Would this cause the water level to fluctuate in the rear compartment causing the auto top up system to not work properly?
The sump baffles are designed so that the water level in the two end compartments that the pumps are in does change, but it does not vary according to the operation of the wavemaker.

For my ATO setup, one level switch is in one of these compartments and another is in the RO top-off water reservoir.

The pump for my Protein Skimmer (Remora) is in the middle compartment, which has a constant water level.

Hope this helps!

~Click the red house to see our aquarium blog~

Current Tank Info: None currently
sl-atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2009, 01:15 PM   #52
balloonpilot
Premium Member

Sorry I've been a way for a bit...

Here's the conditions of my Nano.

Ca/Mg/pH all finaly holding nicely but Alk is something i'm still fighting to keep stable. I can buffer (Seachem Reef Buffer) and get to 9.5 or 10 but within 1 day it drops a whole 1 dk/h unit!

I started dosiing Kalk to match my evap rate; however that was too much Ca and my Ca rose to 580+. So I've reduced the kalk to allow Ca to come down and once down will increase to match burn rate of Ca and NOT evap rate (will let ATO pick up the slack).

Its been suggested that I mix Vinegar when I make up a Kalk batch to increase Carbon Dioxide and that this will help... Anyone have comment ?

As for corals - The green birds next has been moved up closer to the lights and seems to be recovering polyps. The brown acro is white at the bottom that seems to be growing upwards. Ive moved it to the top to see if things get better but nothing in a week. Im considering fragging it t try and save whats left.

Lastly - I've got a zoanthid that was on a rock that turned out to have 'spagetti worms' who liked to lay their tentacles over its polyps which kept them closed for a long time. Ive since moved it and hope that some of the polyps recover. Any idea how to get rid of 'spagetti worms' .

Cheers

All controlled by Profilux with the expansion box and three 4-port dosing pumps
balloonpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2009, 10:39 AM   #53
SlvrSurfRidr
aka: coraltopia

Not sure if anyone else needs them - but I had a friend taking care of my tank for me while I went on vacation and he somehow managed to bust one of the hinges. You can pick up a set on Nanotuners for about $15 - takes 5 minutes to install

SlvrSurfRidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2009, 12:28 PM   #54
slaizer2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sahin

As far as I know, the water level in the display area is constant, so the sensors must be located in the rear compartments right? What happens if the two pumps are on a wave maker? Would this cause the water level to fluctuate in the rear compartment causing the auto top up system to not work properly?
The left and right chambers in the rear are actually connected together beneath where the center chamber ends.
Because they are the same container, the water level on the right and left side of the chambers are always at the same height.

Since the main aquariums overflows into the center rear chamber and the center rear chamber overflows into the right and left rear chambers the right and left chambers in the rear are the ones that get lower first as water evaporates.

One thing you will run into as a problem with the ATO and the wavetimer is if you loose power. When the JBJ wavetimer loses power, when it is first turned back on both pumps are turned on continuously. Problem with this is both pumps put water into the main tank faster than it can overflow into the rear chamber. This will cause the water level in the left and right rear chambers to lower which will in turn cause the ATO to add fresh water. I don't think its enough to affect salinity by that much but it will add fresh water when it doesn't need to.

To combat this i put the wavetimer on a very cheap (20-30) UPS (battery backup) so if there is a power outtage the wavetimer never looses its power.
someone did mention though that their UPS system ended up frying their wavetimer although I have not had this problem.

slaizer2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2009, 12:32 PM   #55
slaizer2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SlvrSurfRidr
Not sure if anyone else needs them - but I had a friend taking care of my tank for me while I went on vacation and he somehow managed to bust one of the hinges. You can pick up a set on Nanotuners for about $15 - takes 5 minutes to install
I broke one of my hinges as well. I have an intake and outake lockline tubing (hard tubing) going through 2 holes i made in the rear of the lid.
when i made the cutouts I thought they were large enough, but they were not so when i opened the hood it would catch on one of the lockline tubes causing it to push up away from the hinge which ended up breaking the hinge. Since replacing the hinge i have notched out a larger opening so there is total clearance when opening and closing the lid.

Had to pay the 15 dollars. Kind of alot for those 2 little hinges and screws. IF you don't have clearance over your plumpbing like i did you probably should make a larger hole else you will run into this 15 dollar mistake. Although atleast i have 1 spare now.

Unread 07/29/2009, 12:37 PM   #56
slaizer2000
Registered Member

Anyone try nanotuners electronic ballast? I just got done assembling and installing one yesterday. Supposed to be more efficient and provide better life to your Metal halide bulbs.
But i notice the aluminum case gets alot hotter than the magnetic ballast that comes with the tank.

May be because the case is smaller and it is aluminum compared to steel. Better heat sink, therefore more hot?

Anyone have one of these and how well has it held up? I think my lighting looks a bit more crisp and blue but then that may just be in my mind as i cant' compare the 2 side by side.

Unread 07/29/2009, 03:30 PM   #57
drd
Registered Member

has anyone tried jbj nano lights for the nano cube 28 it is a led light for the use of making the center compartment in to a refugeium but i am waiting to see what some one else thinks be for getting it.

drd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2009, 08:37 PM   #58
breeze
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by balloonpilot

Its been suggested that I mix Vinegar when I make up a Kalk batch to increase Carbon Dioxide and that this will help... Anyone have comment ?
I'm not sure what that will do to the alk. I know it causes the pH to decrease so that more can be added to the tank without making the tank pH go too high. I forget what it does to the alk though.

CO2 is an acid and we already have CO2 problems in these tanks with closed lids. Not sure if you want that.

breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2009, 08:34 AM   #59
balloonpilot
Premium Member

Breeze,

Yeah thats what I thought... I finally read all Randy's stuff and other info on CO2 with closed homes and closed tanks then the LFS tells me to mix Vinegar w/ my Kalk to raise CO2... Maybe okay on a larger/open tank but not for us.

Unread 07/30/2009, 01:11 PM   #60
jackal4eva
Registered Member

I have the ATO and the wavetimer set to always on - I've never experienced the overflow rate vs. pump rate described by slaizer2000 . Were you talking about non-stock pumps?

jackal4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2009, 02:00 PM   #61
balloonpilot
Premium Member

I think with the wave maker having both pumps on is that the level in the rear will be lower than normal. However, if you have both pumps and set your water level to normal height in rear chambers then you wont see much flow difference.

Unread 07/30/2009, 07:17 PM   #62
JonP
Registered Member

Anyone try the Sapphire or Euro-Reef skimmers for these yet? I'm leaning more toward the Sapphire as it sits in the middle chamber and not hang on the back.

JonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2009, 05:32 AM   #63
balloonpilot
Premium Member

Go with Saphire!

Excellent product and customer service @ nano turners

Unread 07/31/2009, 07:41 AM   #64
slaizer2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jackal4eva
I have the ATO and the wavetimer set to always on - I've never experienced the overflow rate vs. pump rate described by slaizer2000 . Were you talking about non-stock pumps?
If you set the timer to always have both pumps on all the time then you dont have the problem. Because if the power goes out then comes back on then both stay on. So the water level in back stays the same height. You will also notice that with both pumps on the water level in the aquairum is higher and there is much more overflow of water into the back of the tank from the main aquairum. I think it is more than the overflow is designed to do because the water level in the right/left chambers goes lower and the water level in the aquairum goes higher. Also if you have it set to have both pumps on all the time then doesn't that defeat the purpose of the timer? could jsut use regular outlets.

If you use the timer where only 1 pump is on at a time is where you have the problem. Becuase when the wavetimer looses power and power comes back on the default setting for the timer is to engage both pumps on until you adjust the timer. If you are not home then what happens is because both pumps are on, the water level in the back of the rear chambers lowers. This causes the ATO to add extra freshwater to the system.

I tested 2 nights ago to see how much salinity change there would be. Not much. It changed from 1.024 to 1.023 so about a .001 change which i dont think will affect much.

Unplug 1 of your pumps and you will note that the water level in the rear chambers will rise and the water level in the main aquairum will lower. Basically the reverse of what i have on my system since i only run 1 pump at a time on the timer. Will the system flood, no. But with both pumps turned on more water is pumped into the main aquairum and the overflow can't handle that amount at the rate it did the 1 pump. It causes the water level in the aquairum to raise which increases the pressure and then overflows into the back at a faster rate which then equalizes and prevents flooding. IF the overflow handles both pumps or 1 pump with the same effeicenincy then the water level in the rear and main tank would not change because what is pumped in then overflows out. But to get at that with both pumps on, the water height has to raise and increase the pressure and overflow to the rear chamber.

SO yes the overflow does handle both pumps. It jsut has to do it in a different way than when 1 pump is on by raising the height of the water in the main tank to increase pressure and also utilize more surface area of the overflow (heightwise) to overflow the water. But since the level of the water in the tank raises the level of the water in the rear lowers, which then engages the ATO. If is jsut my thought (an i may be wrong) that if the overflow part was wider then it would be able to handle 1 pump and 2 pumps at the same water heihgt and then the water level in the rear and main tank would not chnage regardless of if 1 or 2 pumps are on. but then i guess that is the way overflows works. I guess there is no real way to keep the water level in the back and front of the tank the same level no matter how many pumps you use.

Last edited by slaizer2000; 07/31/2009 at 08:09 AM.
Unread 07/31/2009, 01:04 PM   #65
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

slaizer2000: thank you for that! I placed an order for the tank but havent got it yet. But I thought that this would be the case and asked about this a pages back. It makes sense what you are saying. At least I now know that even with the little problem of running the wavemaker, I can still use an auto top off in this tank.

Many thanks for clearing that out.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2009, 01:08 PM   #66
guinness0514
Registered Member

anybody have a recommendation for a fuge with this tank and the stock stand? Anybody running a fuge at all? Let me know

guinness0514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2009, 06:44 AM   #67
balloonpilot
Premium Member

guinness0514

Im running the Saphire protein skimmer in the center chamber and have the CPR 2 refug HOB

Unread 08/02/2009, 08:47 AM   #68
JonP
Registered Member

Ballonpilot, any pics of the Sapphire skimmer in your tank?

JonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2009, 11:24 AM   #69
balloonpilot
Premium Member

If I could figure out how to post images...

Unread 08/02/2009, 02:29 PM   #70
guinness0514
Registered Member

Yeah I have the AquaC remora nano skimmer. I would love to put a fuge on this system, but don't have any knowledge of the best options for this tank. Some links to products perhaps?

Unread 08/02/2009, 04:18 PM   #71
drd
Registered Member

i am using the center compartment for two things going on at the same time a refugium as well as a phosphate reactor intake going to the skimmer intake so that the water stays crystal clear carbon is not used just what ever a extra nitrates and phospates are removed by the phos chamber

drd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2009, 07:45 AM   #72
guinness0514
Registered Member

Are you guys building your own fuge, or are you buying them? I am not good with DIY so was hoping someone could show me a link for fuge that they are using.

thanks

Unread 08/03/2009, 08:27 AM   #73
slaizer2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by guinness0514
Are you guys building your own fuge, or are you buying them? I am not good with DIY so was hoping someone could show me a link for fuge that they are using.

thanks
I use the CPR hang on back refugium. I use the medium (required some slight modification to get the intak/outake to line up with rear chambers by using some tubing). I think 2 others in here use the small size one.

http://www.marinedepot.com/CPR_AquaF...FIRFEB-vi.html

There is also the refugium that has a skimmer built in. I recall someone asking about these but i dont know if anyone ever put one on their system or not.

http://www.marinedepot.com/CPR_AquaF...FIRFEB-vi.html

You will also need to invest in the CPR lights or some other lighting method for the aquafuge.

http://www.marinedepot.com/CPR_AquaF...FIRFRL-vi.html

The cpr lights will need stands as well. See accessories at bottom of that link (gray ones or clear ones).

Also hunt around the net. you can possibly find the refugium cheaper at other locations. I recall i bought mine elsewhere.

Unread 08/03/2009, 10:27 AM   #74
balloonpilot
Premium Member

I have found that separate devices is better. Meaning I would run the CPR Small refug and a separate skimmer (Saphire make), I just dont think any one is making something that does everything and does it all 100% - I could be wrong

I got my CPR Small which incldued the light and clear light stands for about $165 from LFS.

One thing I didnt like is how crowded the rear chambers got which made things a real pain when it came to maintenance!

So now I've got a MaxiJet 1200 running from the 2nd chamber (as viewed from front 1 is on left, 5 is on right). This pulls water into my chiller, from there into Phosban Reactor, from there into the refug --- All that with one pump, yes it gets enough flow! Otherwise I would have to have a pump for chiller, one for refug (comes with one), and one for the Phosban Reactor -- again, WAY to tight and crowded.

If you use the center chamber for a skimmer (like Saphire), you will need to slide the CPR refug all the way to the left (from front) because the refug has a brace that will hit the skimmer if you dont, also the skimmer will require taking a dremmel tool and cutting a way a 1/4" x 3" long strip at the very back of the center rear chamber. Its no big deal as the piece cut away is simple a splash "lip". Also, with Saphire make sure you put the power cord (for their pump) between skimmer and main display tank otherwise skimmer will rest up against and water will not flow into center chamber.

Good Luck

Unread 08/03/2009, 10:41 AM   #75
mr9iron
15& Over Club

Re: Aeration without skimmer?

Quote:
Originally posted by Chemistry Guy
I'm proud to say that I am a new member of the HQI nano-cube club!

I was wondering about foregoing the skimmer all-together like some of you are doing. Do you worry about the lack of aeration?
Welcome to the insanity. I still haven't re-setup the tank again as I have been to busy but Im still after a few toys. The Euroreef nano skimmer, the vortech mp20 and a chiller for starters. I can't belive this thread split again. Thanks to all who have posted.

Current Tank Info: Frag tank at the moment, planning another
mr9iron is offline   Reply With Quote