Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 12/31/2005, 02:24 PM   #201
Critter
Premium Member

this one... So which end should be point out/away from the MJ? and if using two do the same ends point out?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCTD0&P=0

Quote:
Originally posted by dhnguyen
What black propeller are you using? What brand? And yes it does matter which end you point the propeller.

A photo would help

D.

Unread 12/31/2005, 02:37 PM   #202
Worldwithin
Premium Member

It is not the shaft that is wobbling, it would be the prop assembly. Due to physcis, if the inside of the tubing that is glued to the prop and impeller magnet ever come in contact with the shaft, friction will occur. If that friction is great enough and the materials are not strong enough (which was what happened in my case), one of them will begin to wear. In my case, it was the plastic tubing that wore out and made the wobble worse. I will eventually take a picture of it, but you can see the groove that the shaft cut into the plastic tubing due to the prop being imbalanced.

I am by no means saying that this mod is full of issues... In fact, I see it as a great mod, one that I am willing to continue to pursue at a later date. I am just hopefully giving some insight to my failures help others try to avoid them.

Current Tank Info: 135gal reef, 150lb LR, 200lb DSB
Unread 12/31/2005, 03:16 PM   #203
dhnguyen
Moved On

Yep the props should point outward and the same goes if you use two of them.

Unread 12/31/2005, 03:27 PM   #204
dhnguyen
Moved On

Quote:
It is not the shaft that is wobbling, it would be the prop assembly. Due to physcis, if the inside of the tubing that is glued to the prop and impeller magnet ever come in contact with the shaft, friction will occur. If that friction is great enough and the materials are not strong enough (which was what happened in my case), one of them will begin to wear. In my case, it was the plastic tubing that wore out and made the wobble worse. I will eventually take a picture of it, but you can see the groove that the shaft cut into the plastic tubing due to the prop being imbalanced.

It just occured to me that maybe the problem with your mod is the plastic tubing that you used, the "inside of the tubing that is glued to the prop" bit kinda gave it away

What are you using to connect the prop to the magnet?

I am using rigid airline tubing and I don't see any wobbing there at all.

D.

Unread 12/31/2005, 03:37 PM   #205
Critter
Premium Member

I've never used props so what end is the end that goes out? The end with the slit in it and that is more pointy.. or the end that doesn't have the slit and is flatter... if looking at the image in the link I gave, the end you can see is what i'm referring to as the no slit less pointy end. My guess would be the end with the slit and is more pointy. thanks and sorry for the noob questions.

Quote:
Yep the props should point outward and the same goes if you use two of them.

Unread 12/31/2005, 03:44 PM   #206
dhnguyen
Moved On

No no you got it backwards. The groove in the prop is the inside.
The prop should be pointing outward like this

Unread 12/31/2005, 03:54 PM   #207
Worldwithin
Premium Member

The tubing that I am using is similar, if not the same stuff that was recommended at the beginning of the initial thread. It is a white plastic tubing. It probably isn't very resistant to wear which might be the issue, but its what I have at the moment. Hopefully I will get some of my garage back from the clownfish breeding entertainment that currently absorbed most of my work space, and I just might be able to tinker around with this some more.

Ahhh... Reef tanks... gotta love 'em!

Unread 12/31/2005, 03:58 PM   #208
Critter
Premium Member

Well, thats probably the deal then.. my props were on backwards lol.. actually they were both directions with the outmost one with the slit outward.. jessh.. i probably couldn't have gotten that more wrong if I tried. Well now I know.. was easy enough to take back apart.. so maybe i'll go with the double again.. both pointing in same direction with slit inward.. lol. thanks D.

Quote:
No no you got it backwards. The groove in the prop is the inside.
The prop should be pointing outward like this

Unread 01/01/2006, 06:46 PM   #209
Critter
Premium Member

success! I redid the shaft, and changed the direction of the props. Also measured more closly the distance left and right of the brace and bingo! I got a pump that is rocken and maken no noise... I took out two of my 402's. had to run the 900 length wise cause of the power it was pushen. its wild to see debrey comming from the far end heading for the ph. Thanks for all the help!

Unread 01/01/2006, 07:19 PM   #210
dhnguyen
Moved On

Congrats. Any pics to share Critter?

Unread 01/01/2006, 07:57 PM   #211
TAMU Reef
Registered Member

dhnguyen,

So how long does the 0.098" OD carbon fiber rod last. The reason I ask is because I have a DIY kalk reactor with a maxi-jet and I have been going through about 1 impellor assembly every 2-3 months. I am tired of buying replacements online and thought I would try your OD carbon fiber rod from towerhobbies.com. Is there anywhere else you can buy them?

TAMU Reef

Unread 01/01/2006, 08:03 PM   #212
Critter
Premium Member

Ok, I took the MJ out to take pics... meanwhile you can see how dead the current currenty is without the mj mod in there.

http://critter_pa.tripod.com/stream2.htm

I had to reglue the bracket for the hanger on the mod... broke it off trying to get out. so in about 30 minutes you will see the difference in the water movment. pics to follow.

Quote:

Unread 01/01/2006, 08:26 PM   #213
Worldwithin
Premium Member

TAMU, are you going through the impeller itself, or the shaft??

If it is the shaft, what sort of damage are you experiencing that would cause you to have to replace the impeller??

Lastly, I have been able to fine the carbon fiber rods at local hobby stores. Pretty much all the shops that I have visited in my area have the same display with the same selection of rods in them. I would look for any place that sells RC planes, models, or even some craft stores. They are pretty cheap too.

Unread 01/01/2006, 08:33 PM   #214
Rothie
Registered Member.

TAMU Reef
It sounds like your impellers are freezing up from calcium build up.Just soak them in vinegar overnight to dissolve the calcium.

Unread 01/01/2006, 09:06 PM   #215
Critter
Premium Member

ok so now I broke the driver for my digi camera. gotta find the driver to reinstall. jeesh. anyway pics to come when i can get the darn thing working again.

Quote:
Originally posted by Critter
Ok, I took the MJ out to take pics... meanwhile you can see how dead the current currenty is without the mj mod in there.

http://critter_pa.tripod.com/stream2.htm

I had to reglue the bracket for the hanger on the mod... broke it off trying to get out. so in about 30 minutes you will see the difference in the water movment. pics to follow.

Unread 01/02/2006, 08:46 AM   #216
TAMU Reef
Registered Member

Rothie,

The rods in the maxi-jet I am using is not breaking, but becomes VERY loud and rough sounding. I pull the impellor out and it is severly worn / thnner like someone used sandpaper on it.

TAMUReef

Unread 01/02/2006, 09:29 AM   #217
Rothie
Registered Member.

TAMU-
I have no idea what is causing the wear.The impeller should last for 2+ years,in my experience.

Unread 01/02/2006, 09:36 AM   #218
Critter
Premium Member

*** when trying to put back in the tank, the pump had an accident and broke off both tabs that hold the pvc on... i'm begining to think this pump was not ment to be in the tank lol. gluing tabs back on. **

Finally got camera working again.... here are my pics. I used the rigid tubing for the crossbrase because it was easier to drill. I'll probably be putting it back in the tank now that the holder is glued back on.

Quote:

Last edited by Critter; 01/02/2006 at 09:47 AM.
Unread 01/03/2006, 10:50 AM   #219
dhnguyen
Moved On

I must say Critter. For a hand job (Hey get your mind out of the gutter), you did really well cutting those slots and the groove in the PVC. Very clean looking.

Try not to break the MJ pump in the process though
j/k

D.

Unread 01/03/2006, 10:53 AM   #220
dhnguyen
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by TAMU Reef
Rothie,

The rods in the maxi-jet I am using is not breaking, but becomes VERY loud and rough sounding. I pull the impellor out and it is severly worn / thnner like someone used sandpaper on it.

TAMUReef

Due to the havey calcium build up, you need to soak the impeller in vinegar and clean it very well about once a month. This is common with all impellers when used in calcium or kalk reactors.

Also, you will want to clean and possibly soak the entire MJ pump body too. The inside of the MJ probably has ca build up as well and over time this will be enough that it will start rubbing against the impeller magnet acting like sand paper of sorts.

D.

Closed Thread